Are there still ppl around who refuse to buy used or CPO vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll buy used when a vehicle meets my needs.
Bought my pickup 5 years old w/56K and a one owner vehicle. Paid $5500. for it.
When I bought my Accord in December of 2012 as a leftover 2012, I paid $100.00 more than book on the same car with 15K miles on it. Also received 0.9% financing for 4 years after I negotiated the vehicle to the bare minimum.
I generally buy new and I use the same procedure. Best of both worlds: "New" car with no miles, knock off a ton of depreciation, and have full warranty.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
bc "they're someone's else's problem" or another lame excuse?

It's not a lame excuse at all, IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY to prefer a vehicle with a full warranty, with a longer life ahead of it before anticipating failures, that hasn't potentially been abused by the owner whether it be driving habits or maintenance, that has that new car smell (opposed to someone else's funk smell), has perfect paint, no swirl marks yet in that piano black finish plastic that's so popular now (and cannot be washed using conventional "old school" methods so many get defaced the very first time they're washed), has the latest tech advances and revised parts possible (as long as it's not the 1st model year of a new design).

I consider used vehicles a great value, but I'm also aware that many owners will try to sell the moment they notice something different/wrong which at first might be hard to detect by anyone who hasn't driven that vehicle on a regular basis, so yes you do face the risk of buying someone else's problem, either "as-is" or paying a significant overhead if there's a dealer and warranty included (unless new enough to still have some factory warranty remaining but as above, still less of it than if it were new, and the dealer is still not bothering with such vehicles if they're not making $1000+ over what you could find it for at a private sale.

CPO though, is just a load of nonsense where they claim they have a list they checked... until OOPS WE FORGOT TO CHECK THAT.

I've done both. Personally I don't want someone else's problem. The truck in my signature was purchased new and was $10K off sticker so there is little to no depreciation to pay for now. The Jeep is a CPO, but an interesting one. We bought it with less than 4K on the odometer and it was never registered. It was a company car, whatever that means. It has the CPO warranty and the remainder of the factory warranty.

I buy used. Last one was built in Dec 17 I bought in August 18. In 8 month dealer owned and put 3k. So far we love it. 2018 Grand Caravan SE 19k. Note is cheaper than any other used one I was looking at with most at 80k. Wasn't looking at Grand Caravan at the time just happened across it searching online for my price range. Of course with wife in wheelchair this vehicle seems to be what we need. List price new was 29k.

I buy new and pay cash.

Why?

Because I can.

I also keep my cars for quite a while and am not buying vehicles towards the upper end of the cost spectrum. My last two vehicles have been small SUVs that were nothing prestigious but had upgraded engines that made them fun for me. If the price of a vehicle is high enough that I'm not comfortable paying cash, I don't need it.

I am also very suspicious of recent vehicles with low mileage that are on the market, have read too much about people modding new cars and then returning them to stock and getting rid of them after they mess something up.

One guy in another forum said it succinctly that he doesn't buy used because he doesn't want to sit in other peoples asss sweat and farts.

Last edited:
Used to shoot handguns with a mechanic whose job was to inspect for the CPO cars. If the dealer decided to CPO the cars, he would fix them. All he did.

extremely generic question.

Would I buy a 5 year old CPO BMW, no

plenty of vehicles I wouldnt buy used.. a 2-3 year old subaru goes for the same as new.. not worth the hassle to save $1000 and you have to pay full sales tax vs sales tax on the amount after trade in value

I'd consider a 3 year old kia soul thats at 50% of msrp. etc.

Originally Posted by Rand
a 2-3 year old subaru goes for the same as new.. not worth the hassle to save $1000

I'd like to know where I can sell 2-3 year old Subarus for the price of new ones. I'll be rich.

plenty of vehicles I wouldnt buy used.. a 2-3 year old subaru goes for the same as new.. not worth the hassle to save $1000 and you have to pay full sales tax vs sales tax on the amount after trade in value

Exactly; it's really not very simple. Some vehicles, you can get a good deal on used, and some you can't. I'd "like" to buy every vehicle I find interesting, but there's only so much time and money, and an interesting old Benz diesel, for example, back when new would have been far out of my price range, particularly since for some of them, I was a toddler when they were released, so if I want to try one, it certainly will be used.

There always is the risk of someone else's problem. There are also people who simply get bored of their vehicles, take meticulous care of them, and trade them off or sell them very regularly.

Vehicles are pro-rated. Period, end of story.

More interestingly, on a cost per mile basis, a well purchased new vehicle, kept for a good portion of it's lifespan, may not be more than a few cents per mile (3-5) more than a comparable used vehicle.

With few exceptions (notably some GM high depreciation models) the days of getting a used car for 40% less than new, with less than 40% of it's useful life "used up" are behind us. Once repairs, tires, brakes, and required services are taken into account.

The IRS currently lists cost per mile at 58 cents. That's not far off the average.

Last edited:
The most satisfying car buys for me are 1 senior owned near luxury types, older but with very low miles. 3 Buick's and 1 Lincoln over the years so far. All were decent cars, but all needed minor things like tires or struts/shocks etc. The depreciation from new was huge, so it made the initial repairs worthwhile.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Vehicles are pro-rated. Period, end of story.

More interestingly, on a cost per mile basis, a well purchased new vehicle, kept for a good portion of it's lifespan, may not be more than a few cents per mile (3-5) more than a comparable used vehicle.

With few exceptions (notably some GM high depreciation models) the days of getting a used car for 40% less than new, with less than 40% of it's useful life "used up" are behind us. Once repairs, tires, brakes, and required services are taken into account.
The IRS currently lists cost per mile at 58 cents. That's not far off the average.

You've written similar things before and I think you're right.
When you buy something new, you get to use it for the first and best 100K of its life with nothing more required than fluid changes, a set of brakes and a set of tires.
New vehicles are quite inexpensive for those with the wit to shop and negotiate and cheap or free financing abounds on these new rides, especially for those who don't really need financing.
There are no significant savings to reap in most used car buys, although the shop and negotiate rule still applies and can yield the occasional bargain.

Originally Posted by Imp4
There are people around that will adopt almost any point of view.
You empower them when you react to their position, no matter what it may be.

If you truly disagree with someone else's position, it's best to treat them respectfully and move on.

Abso-freaking-lutely!

extremely generic question.

Would I buy a 5 year old CPO BMW, no

I'd consider a 3 year old kia soul thats at 50% of msrp. etc.

Got my '15 in the fall of '17 for $15575, with ~30k miles. MAJOR savings!

Everyone who impulsively purchases, be it used, new, CPO, will have a higher likelihood of failure. Those who purchase when they WANT to will likely see an increased level of success.

This ain't rocket surgery, folks!

I buy new when 0% financing is going on then roll them 120k-140k / 8 years, then go get another new one. Simple.
At 67 yrs old I realize that in 8 years I'm liable to be dead so if that's the case my current new car is my last ha ha.

If you are paying cash then who cares. Otherwise I concur financially poor decision to buy brand new with a depreciating asset financed.

The comical thing to me is people worried about a used car. Yet what are 95% of people driving but used cars .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back