NEW TOUGH GUARD 4386 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
…. were would that leave some other filters they are 99+ % at 20 microns. Probably 50% of the filters on the market can't make that claim.
Using the known data point(s) that would include many/most of the OEM/OES oil filters, not even close. In my observation, many of those highly respected on this subforum. Add all the unknown efficiency off shore (eg. China) made spin ons frequently praised here for their excellent post use 'appearance', likely much higher than 50% imo.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
So, pretty soon or in less than two weeks I'll be running either m1 0w30 in the ole Camry or ST HM 10W30. I'll probably use one of the Bosch D+ filters Subierubyroo sent me. Had this filter for while so I thought I would cut it open.

Enjoy the pictures
smile.gif

This one looks ok. Tough is not a word I would use to describe these things though. More like Barely enough guard.

LOL and were would that leave some other filters they are 99+ % at 20 microns. Probably 50% of the filters on the market can't make that claim.

Then they should use the word efficient to describe it just not tough. There's nothing tough about the tough gaurd unless you like paper.

So, pretty soon or in less than two weeks I'll be running either m1 0w30 in the ole Camry or ST HM 10W30. I'll probably use one of the Bosch D+ filters Subierubyroo sent me. Had this filter for while so I thought I would cut it open.

Enjoy the pictures
smile.gif

This one looks ok. Tough is not a word I would use to describe these things though. More like Barely enough guard.

LOL and were would that leave some other filters they are 99+ % at 20 microns. Probably 50% of the filters on the market can't make that claim.

Then they should use the word efficient to describe it just not tough. There's nothing tough about the tough gaurd unless you like paper.

You really should get up to speed.

Tough Guard is the ideal filter for drivers who have high mileage vehicles or push their vehicles in stop-and-go traffic, towing and extreme weather conditions. Our re-engineered Synthetic-Blend filter media that provides premium engine protection for your vehicle.

Tough Guard is the ideal filter for drivers who have high mileage vehicles or push their vehicles in stop-and-go traffic, towing and extreme weather conditions. Our re-engineered Synthetic-Blend filter media that provides premium engine protection for your vehicle.[/quote]

Lol did you copy and paste that from a promotional page?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Nah, no semi here. About 4600 of it was on a plane. But there was about 1600 miles done split between my trusty Impreza and a rental Maxima SL while out in Cali. Which is good because it gets me closer to the midway point of my Fram Ultra vs. Microgreen particle count test on Amsoil SS 10W30!

Gotcha
Glad you have safe trip back home ðŸ‘

Tough Guard is the ideal filter for drivers who have high mileage vehicles or push their vehicles in stop-and-go traffic, towing and extreme weather conditions. Our re-engineered Synthetic-Blend filter media that provides premium engine protection for your vehicle.

[/quote]

Troll much. Yes we've noticed it!

[/quote]
That's what some of you always say when you hate other peoples opinions. I was referring to the spars material used with those filters. From the super thin cans to the brittle endcaps.
Good day to ya.

That's what some of you always say when you hate other peoples opinions. I was referring to the spars material used with those filters. From the super thin cans to the brittle endcaps.

Sorry to disappoint you but it's not the opinion.

Good day to ya.

Every Tough Guard I have used lived up to the statements made on Fram's website. All of them looked very good on post use dissection. IMO the Tough Guard is an ideal choice for an aging Ford Cologne V6. The ADBV did not leak down like some of it's peers. No glaring failures or concerns were noted.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn

Sorry to disappoint you but it's not the opinion.

Hmm, is it the man in the mirror, really? Ya know after the layers peeled away.

Alright. Enough b.s. already. Notified mods to close this thread down cause of bickering

Good night

Good call ðŸ‘

I haven't experienced any "brittle endcaps" on any tough guard cut open - but they were already USED!

Maybe some types of "virgin" oil filters don't get up to "full strength" until *after* being run for a little bit?

Honda and Subaru Blue cans are essentially " toughguards".

Not a overjoyed fan of them, but they are serviceable. Also the "fiber" end caps are only to glue the "fiber" pleat ends closed. The Steel center tube provides the rigidity.

Honda and Subaru Blue cans are essentially " toughguards".......
Imo, in this case that would depend on ones interpretation of the word essentially. Seeing as they are all made by Fram, their construction is very similar with the Suby using nitrile adbv as opposed to TG silicone. When it comes to efficiency, using the known data point for the AO2, they are quite different. Afaik no published/tested spec for the Suby, however I suspect they are in the same range as the other Asian oem filters.

That said no judgement here regarding use of either, just pointing out what seems a significant difference to the oft compared TG.

Proper point. Do you suspect lower efficiency on the Subaru media?

Oh, someone corrected me as FRAM touts silicone rubber ADBV on the orange can Extra Guard now.

Why nitrile on the subaru?

Last edited:
I have decided that I am never doing a virgin cut and post of any filter. If I do it sure as heck wont be posted on here.

Way too much bickering and b.s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Proper point. Do you suspect lower efficiency on the Subaru media?...
As noted, I suspect in similar range to the ISO tested data points for the A02, and Toyota Denso oem. So yeah, significantly lower than the TG.
...Why nitrile on the subaru?
Guess you'd have to ask Subaru the answer to that one. Nissan factory filter made in Japan by Mahle also uses nitrile too, and fiber endcaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back