Rounded off oil drain bolt - How to remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a left hand drill bit to extract a bolt before, easy enough for a steady hand.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I would use one of these, provided there is room. Tightens as you apply torques so you know it will not let go of the bolt.

[Linked Image]

Large vice grips might also work, but you have to make sure they are on square and very tight, otherwise you will mingle the bolt even more.

This

Last edited:
You will need a special socket for rounded off fasteners. 2nd consideration is why it's rounded off. Did someone use an impact wrench? Then it's pounded on, and rounded off. Who knows what conditions the threads might be in.

Get a new magnetic drain plug and the washer. You may also need a thread repair kit by the time you get this removed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
If you raise the front end of your vehicle, and support with jack stands, you may not be high enough off the ground. Crawling under, with less than 12", does not allow you to be in a good position, or use longer tools with more leverage. Sometimes, reach and access is limited when you're trying to use power tools. When you have the vehicle up on a lift, you can stand under it. This allows you to plant your feet in a wide stance, get your body behind the tool, or maybe use power tools. Think about an impact tool. You may also need some sort of universal joint to give you the correct angle.

I would also worry about the condition of the threads after you get the drain plug out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back