Favorite .22 ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who shoot .22, what's your favorite ammo? Long, short, lr, shotshells etc. I really like CCI CB shorts in my Ruger bearcat, and when I had my mark II, Remington thunderbolt was the most accurate out of it. Aguila colibri is fun too, again with the bearcat. I've got some CCI quiet to try too.

+1 on CCI. I have fired many types of LR ammo through my .22 rifle (Marlin). Some are excellent and some are atrocious. I have always found that a .22 gun is very ammo sensitive and it always pays to get about 5-8 types/brands to shoot through a new gun to find out what it likes the best.

Cci Stingers for my walther and revolver for ccw. Anything else is cci minimags or velocitors. I like the plastic 100 packs of browning/Winchester super x. All these are not recommended for suppressed though

Originally Posted by Marco620
Cci Stingers for my walther and revolver for ccw. Anything else is cci minimags or velocitors. I like the plastic 100 packs of browning/Winchester super x. All these are not recommended for suppressed though

I need to get some 22 ammo so will watch this thread. What does this suppressed mean?

Originally Posted by Cressida
Originally Posted by Marco620

I need to get some 22 ammo so will watch this thread. What does this suppressed mean?

I'm not a big rimfire shooter, but I usually grab CCI when I do as I seem to get the fewest failure to fires and my Marlin 60s seem to feed it well. Short of true target ammo like Eley(which I'm not a good enough shooter to appreciate) I've found CCI standard velocity to be about the most accurate of readily available ammo.

I'll agree with the above, though, that it's worth trying several different brands.I had a cheap semi-auto pistol at one time, for example, that would eat the Remington "Bucket of Bullets" all day(or at least the ones that fired, although admittedly failures even in that are maybe 1 per every 300 or so on a bad day) but would jam up every dozen or so rounds on CCI standard and on Mini-Mags.

Velocitors for my semi auto stuff. It packs a bit more punch and reliably cycles all actions. Accuracy is superb.

60 Grain SSS for my 144LSB Mossburg. It will stabilize the heavy bullet, offers good accuracy, and it's darn near silent. Plus it's powerful enough to dent my 22 bullet trap!! The low velocity is not a problem in my backyard range.

Last edited:
Any time I've tried remington in my bolt rifles I get face full of burning powder...the cases appear to hard to obturate properly.

CCI blue box and Winchester subsonic hollow points (42gr) are my go tos...same point of impact at 50m, so I can use them interchangably.

Subs are more immune to wind drift than high velocity and hyper velocity .22s.

I don't know if it's Bearcats in general, or just mine, but the light weight and standard to high velocity just don't work well together. With the CCI CB shorts it doesn't jump, and I can pretty well hit a target as well as I can(not claiming to be a good shot). I got pretty accurate with my mark II, with is about 20oz heavier than the bearcat, and it fed and shot the thunderbolt high velocity better than anything else I tried in it.

Have some on the shelf , but have not purchased or shot any for ages .

When I did , purchased what was on sale .

At present prices , I can reload .38 / .357 Mag with home cast bullets & Unique close to the price of .22LR , I think ?

Fun to shoot in a lever or wheel gun .

Remington thunderbolt is my favorite. I don't like the Aguila brand. OP ..I have the Ruger bearcat and the Ruger bearcat shopkeeper. Those are very nice pistols for the money.

Originally Posted by newbe46
CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain. If I recall correctly I only had one failure in 8,000 rounds.

+1

Though I haven't had a single failure with one yet, I haven't shot that many, either...

It's hard to beat CCI for .22 ammo. I do like the Remington Subsonic. It's pretty quiet and runs great in my AR Ciener conversion kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back