Tacoma questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any third gen (2016+) Tacoma owners here? Looking at trading my Ram for a 17 Double Cab Long bed TRD Sport 4x4 3.5 auto.

Looking for opinions from owners.

Absolutely love mine. I bought it new last October. I have the 2.7L four banger since I don't tow or do any heavy duty hauling. It is 4X4 with AT.

Thank you. I spotted this truck online, had a look at it. Thinking I will pull the trigger.

How does your Taco like the M1?

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Absolutely love mine. I bought it new last October. I have the 2.7L four banger since I don't tow or do any heavy duty hauling. It is 4X4 with AT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WillB
Do we have any third gen (2016+) Tacoma owners here? Looking at trading my Ram for a 17 Double Cab Long bed TRD Sport 4x4 3.5 auto.

Does the Tacoma live with a private owner?..... or used vehicles lot?

Its a trade at a Toyota dealership - was traded for a 19 - I refuse to buy private. Will be trading my Ram.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Does the Tacoma live with a private owner?..... or used vehicles lot?

Last edited:
Thank you. I spotted this truck online, had a look at it. Thinking I will pull the trigger.

How does your Taco like the M1? Whst filter are you using?

Seems to like the M1 just fine. It's got about 5700 miles on the clock. I've changed the oil once at ~1500 miles. I use Toyota filters.

Drive the Auto 16+ Tacoma V6 before you buy one. I drove one for a year that belongs to a friend of mine (it was in my care while he was deployed for a year overseas).

The 6 sp auto is miserably tuned, the shift program is always 1-2 gears too high around town and makes the truck feel sluggish and under powered. On the highway it hunts at the slightest headwind or hill, usually from 6th to 4th and back to 6th.

It's actually so bad it ruined the truck for me. I personally wouldn't own one with the automatic. Which is a shame because the 3.5 and 6sp is SOOO good in my mom's GS 350 AWD.

I did test drive a 17, did not have any of the shifting issues that you described. I know they have had software updates, maybe that cured it?

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Drive the Auto 16+ Tacoma V6 before you buy one. I drove one for a year that belongs to a friend of mine (it was in my care while he was deployed for a year overseas).

The 6 sp auto is miserably tuned, the shift program is always 1-2 gears too high around town and makes the truck feel sluggish and under powered. On the highway it hunts at the slightest headwind or hill, usually from 6th to 4th and back to 6th.

It's actually so bad it ruined the truck for me. I personally wouldn't own one with the automatic. Which is a shame because the 3.5 and 6sp is SOOO good in my mom's GS 350 AWD.

I bought a new 2018 Base 4WD SR last summer. 8k on the clock now and flawless. Don't plan on towing anything much with the 2.7, which I bought.
I mostly haul air.

I'm 6'2" and the cab is really hard to enter and exit. Try entry/exit at the dealership before you buy.
I traded entry/exit difficulty for a proven truck that seems to hold its value.

Most online ratings were negative for the new GM twins. Nissan Frontier is an ancient chassis/truck that hasn't been updated in at least a decade.
I also was leery of past Tacoma frame problems and had the dealer take it to Krown before I accepted delivery.

Joe

WillB, have you driven it? We find sitting in a Tacoma is like sitting in a car, the seat is low to the floor compared to how you sit in a full size truck. Nothing wrong with Tacomas, just something you have to decide if you like or not.

OK, I see you've driven them and didn't mention the seating position.

I have had every generation of Tacoma. I think each generation has gotten better but the 1st gen was a better truck for builders.
I will give you the good and the bad of the 2018 I have.

The good, it's zippy and fun to drive, I have the off-road with the locker, crawl control and terrain select which add more off-road. capability than most people can ever use.

Toyota Safety sense with the adaptive cruise control- I am a big fan. It has some quirks you will have to learn through driving experience (vehicles turning right on the right shoulder will cause an emergency braking event. Not to scary tap the brake and drive on. You will learn the triggers. I like the auto high beams as well. Like the cruise control and auto braking it takes some getting used to to trust it.

The gas mileage is both good and bad. This truck responds to speed by eating more gas. If you are plodding around in two lane roads with no stops and 35-60 mph you can expect to beat the rated highway mpg for those type of trips. I have logged many 25-27 mpg legs like this.

If you get on the interstate and cruise 80mph you can expect 15.5-17.5 mpg depending on wind.

I average 19.5 mpg per tank with a combination of city, high speed highway and the easy slower cruising described.

Power band- it's good and bad. It may seem sluggish but you cannot he throttle shy with it. Push it and it rewards you as it opens up. Personally I think it's fine. I can lug around in Atkinson mode for a while and open it up to get on an on-ramp and the engine literally changes personality. It's not a a lot of power but compared to the 4 runner. It's "zippy"

Interior and comfort..separate those terms if you are near 6' or over. I can stand it at 6' but I take a break every hour or. Two. The seat does not have enough cushion length for my liking, I have big legs from a life of sports and powerlifting so it's noticeable to me,. Bolstering and material is good and many people do t have any complaints.

It's easily serviceable and has a large support network online

The shift mapping has been retuned in 2018+ and there was a tsb issued for older models. There is still the fact that the gearing is too tall but 4th gear and 80 mph is only 3500 rpm, I have done it for hours with a headwind.
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I took it on a decent length test drive, speeds varied from 80km down to 50 km (50 mph down to 31 mph) the trans shifted fine - my past trucks were GM trucks with 700R4 and 4L60 transmissions, maybe I'm used to strange transmissions.
wink.gif

My Ram has 3:55 gearing, the Tacoma has 3:90 gearing, something else that I am used to - deeper geared vehicles. The Hemi will guzzle the gas if you drive it hard, thankfully I try to resist that style. I also prefer the ride of the Tacoma with rear leaf springs vs the soft cushy ride of the Ram with rear coils.

I crawled underneath to look at the frame (Past GM trucks are why I check) it looked fine, just had the usual road grime film on it. It will be getting either the cleaning & Toyota undercoating or a Krown salt eliminator wash with a Krown rust proof to follow - I do the Krown annually.

I test drove a Colorado and hated the seats, felt like I was sliding off of the seats. The GM twins also use AFM (Active Fuel Management) in the 3.6 - something I want no part of which is one of the reasons I'm dealing the Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back