2008 Z06 Oil .Amsoil Diesel Oil= MUCH quieter VT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried ALOT of different oils in my c6 Z06. I finally settled with amsoil acd 10w30/sae30. Its quietest the engine has EVER been. hot or cold. I hope It dont hurt anything!

Have you done a full oci yet? Some oils may have a longer quieting effect then others at the end of an interval.

Originally Posted by 08z06
... amsoil acd 10w30/sae30... I hope It dont hurt anything!
Amsoil says it's SL and ACEA A3/B3, so its good for gasoline engines, not just diesel. HTHS is high, but not excessive, at 3.6. NOACK is about the best I've ever seen at 4.2. ..... This is great oil, just not for very cold days in your OH (don't try starting the vehicle below 32F too often with any 10w oil if you can help it).

I have tried ALOT of different oils in my c6 Z06. I finally settled with amsoil acd 10w30/sae30. Its quietest the engine has EVER been. hot or cold. I hope It dont hurt anything!

Congrats. Hope it stays quiet and in the same formulation. Might not be a bad idea to buy a bunch. Oil chemistry / concoctions, are changing fast these days. Technology keeps increasing (even doubling), at a faster & faster rate.

I have enough oil thru 2020. Then I'm sure I'll want all the GF6 craze going-on then.

May hurt your pocketbook
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
... amsoil acd 10w30/sae30... I hope It dont hurt anything!
Amsoil says it's SL and ACEA A3/B3, so its good for gasoline engines, not just diesel. HTHS is high, but not excessive, at 3.6. NOACK is about the best I've ever seen at 4.2. ..... This is great oil, just not for very cold days in your OH (don't try starting the vehicle below 32F too often with any 10w oil if you can help it).

I see many owner manuals recommending 10W down to 0F and recently someone posted the specs that is good down to -13F.

Curious where you got the 32F?

Edit:

From @weasley:
"For CCS testing, a 5W has to pass at -30°C (-22°F) and a 10W at -25°C (-13°F).
For MRV, the 5W must pass at -35°C (-31°F) and the 10W at -30°C (-22°F).

Let's also remember that for MRV, the passing viscosity is the same - ie the oil must be For CCS the viscosity differs by grade, so a 5W must be <6,600 cP at -30°C but a 10W needs only be <7,000 cP at -25°C (so it can be thicker and warmer)."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
The colder it gets, the more extra wear you'll get using a 10w30. Any engine you really care about, try to minimize cold starts using a thick oil. No, your engine will not explode if you try to push a cold thick 10w30 through your galleys when its 0F, as some might get annoyingly emotional about here, yet we have 0w30 and 5w30 to use if winter is a problem for somebody. Others who post here don't care about extra wear, and that's fine, to each their own.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
The colder it gets, the more extra wear you'll get using a 10w30. Any engine you really care about, try to minimize cold starts using a thick oil. No, your engine will not explode if you try to push a cold thick 10w30 through your galleys when its 0F, as some might get annoyingly emotional about here, yet we have 0w30 and 5w30 to use if winter is a problem for somebody. Others who post here don't care about extra wear, and that's fine, to each their own.

Hyperbole and useless information posted by you again.

Originally Posted by dave1251
...yet still 1000 times better than anything you've ever posted.
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
...yet still 1000 times better than anything you've ever posted.
happy2.gif

When have you posted anything but a marketing ad regarding lubrication?

Yes, I too have ran the ACD 10W30 hdd and it does seem to have a more quiet valve train over the Z rod 10W30 when hot.
I have mixed in some AME 15W40 to get my oil pressure around 70 psi at 7k redline.

OP, what oil pressures are you reading at redline and idle and at what hot oil temps?
PS what part of Ohio?

Last edited:
oil temp 200 @idle 25psi redline around 60-65 when hot. I would like a little more at idle. Im in Tallmadge ,Near Akron, Summit Racing area. really want to do heads/small cam in near future.

oil temp 200 @idle 25psi redline around 60-65 when hot. I would like a little more at idle. Im in Tallmadge ,Near Akron, Summit Racing area. really want to do heads/small cam in near future.

Oil pressure is just an indication of the pressure required to force oil at a certain volume and visvosity through a path of fixed resistance (the engine oiling dystem). The only way to increase the oil pressure is to increase the pump flow or increase the viscosity, or increase the system resistance (tighter bearing clearances).

The oil volume coming out of the positive displacement oil pump at idle and 200F is the same regardless if the indicated pressure is 25, 30 or 35 PSI. So having oil pressure at 25 PSI instead of 35 PSI at hot idle is still providing adequate lubrication because there is no real loss in supplied oil volume to the engine.

Originally Posted by burla
Dave at it again.

It is real simple post something factual and how in the real world it affects engine life and or performance. Somehow this idea has been lost on this forum.

Nice. Im at 30-32 psi at idle and around 68-70 psi at redline 7k with a couple qts of ame mixed in.
With straight 10w30 I was at 28-30 idle and 60-64 redline, which your readings are perfectly fine and I wouldnt switch anything. If you wanted you could try doing 6 qts of acd/2 qts 20w50 Z rod or do half and half acd/ame to get you around a 12.5W35 for the summer. I put the Z away during our winter months so the cold start doesnt bother me ..I also have Johnson 2110 lifters which also drop the oil pressure by around 8 psi give or take a few due to lifter to bore clearance so I was seeing 35-38 psi before I swapped heads, cam and lifters, This might help your hot idle by a couple psi if it bothers you.

how do you like the johnsons? are they quieter than the ls7 lifters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back