Are there still ppl around who refuse to buy used or CPO vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Price paid by first owner: 41k, 10.5k mi and the price is 26K. That was how I bought my IS250. For that depreciation, I can sort the "problem" out. Still waiting for the problem to surface 100k mi later.

I would either buy brand new "newspaper specials" (hasn't happened yet) or well-used cars with obvious problems.

Cars with 25k still carrying factory warranties I am very suspicious of... whether they've been wrecked, have hidden gremlins, etc. Gresham's law.

I used to buy used, if the price and condition were right. And i generally keep my vehicles a while. But now with 20wt oils, i don't want a car that's been run on 20wt. I now buy new, and run what i want.

Flame suit on. I know cars are not breaking down left and right on 20wt, but i just don't want one thats been run long on 20wt.

Last edited:
I'd like to go another 15 years before having a car in my hands with "Pedestrian detection cameras" and other electronics that will annoy me.

The savings has to be there. For a few years, CPO cars were the same price as new!

There are people around that will adopt almost any point of view.
You empower them when you react to their position, no matter what it may be.

If you truly disagree with someone else's position, it's best to treat them respectfully and move on.

When the deal is good, I could see myself doing it. I bought a CPO and it seemed fine. I think some of the CPO's are lease returns, so they get a minimum of service and weren't in circulation that long. They might not be cheaper on a cost per mile basis but they might still tick off some boxes for some buyers.

My last car was used. Quite used. But I was willing to gamble. All its problems have been limited to old car problems, not abuse.

Not unless is has maintenance records to go with it, which is the same stance I take on any car I buy that's not new. However, with the deals that can be had on new cars, I find that there's often little incentive to buy a used car.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
bc "they're someone's else's problem" or another lame excuse?

That's a odd way to start a thread, by insulting those who disagree with you.

My answer is;

The last 3 cars we bought were used and we still have 2 of them. Bought a 2008 Hyundai Sonata in 2008 with 15k on it. Only problem we ever had was the drivers side sun visor wouldn't stay up. Fixed under warranty. Traded for a 2009 Milan with 18k on it in 2012. Still drives and looks pretty good. Has 120k now. Bought a 2012 Ford Fusion with 35k on it in 2016. Still going strong at 65k. I have been lucky. New cars are way to expensive for me. I like to buy them a few years old and still in good shape.

Not many of those people left because people can't afford new cars anymore
mad.gif

Also, if you're buying a Honda, it's almost always better to buy brand new than it is to buy a 1-3-year-old Honda, CPO or not. Hondas don't depreciate much, and new car interest rates are cheaper than used.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Not many of those people left because people can't afford new cars anymore
mad.gif

Also, if you're buying a Honda, it's almost always better to buy brand new than it is to buy a 1-3-year-old Honda, CPO or not. Hondas don't depreciate much, and new car interest rates are cheaper than used.

That's odd because I see plenty of new cars on the road. Must be only in your area

I always buy new, but I always search and search until I find a deal that's 20% off MSRP, generally with the options I want, and I wait until they give me the higher end of the scale for my trade. At that point it's only a few grand more for a brand new car. Worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back