Using a Torch Under a Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many people use a torch under a vehicle to loosen bolts etc. I have never done this and likely won't. I've always thought that even being really careful, there would be a chance of some type of explosion. How is this safe? Anyone ever have a mishap or know someone who did?

I've seen vehicles burn down on the side of a highway, but never seen one explode. And there is a reason for that, gas tanks don't explode outside of a movie set.

Regarding torches around vehicles, I see no problem using them, unless one is totally clueless and uses one around the fuel lines or gas tank.

Last edited:
It was more dangerous when there were carbs and leaky rubber fuel lines with vapors everywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by das_peikko
You can weld a gas tank if you empty it out and fill it full of water.

Just not worth the risk, unless its some odd rare unobtainable tank. Maybe a LPG tank that way for another purpose. But diesel and gasoline tanks scare me, i'd never weld one.

And while i mig weld small projects, i don't have the skill to weld something like a gas tank.

Last edited:
If it's not windy you should be able to smell a fuel leak. If you are unable to smell fuel (your olfactory nerves are in bad shape for whatever reason even if it's a cold) of course this disability should exclude using a torch. If it is windy, the odds are low the fuel vapor would concentrate enough to be a problem unless working ON a fuel system component.

But you can't solder a copper pipe in your house (which is lower temp then welding) if it has any water in it. Go figure.

Flush with water, and fill with exhaust gas from a car....I've never had a problem welding fuel tanks.

We used to gas weld exhausts all the time, never a problem.

Originally Posted by atikovi

But you can't solder a copper pipe in your house (which is lower temp then welding) if it has any water in it. Go figure.

a soldering torch can not put enough heat into the wet pipes to melt solder to the pipe.
An oxy torch can weld metal even under water. Heating up the metal actually form a gas pocket around the hot metal under water. But I have welded a lot but never under water yet.

The only issue I have had is using a penetrating oil and then a torch and things like bushing melt/catch fire. But then again I am usually tossing those parts away.

The dudes in Texas that make bbq grills from Big propane tanks stick a hose from their exhaust pipe in the the tank and get at done!

Originally Posted by Silk
Flush with water, and fill with exhaust gas from a car....I've never had a problem welding fuel tanks.

Back in the day , that was how I was told was the best way to do it . No oxygen in the tank , it can not burn / explode .

In some parts of the country it's virtually impossible to work on cars without a torch, they're so rusted that nuts and bolts won't come lose. In my opinion this is for professionals...people trained with using acetylene and using acetylene around fuel lines, gas tanks...cars in general, because it is dangerous for one,and for two, you can quickly miss and destroy another component of the car when the flame extends a little bit beyond what you are aiming for...not me, it wasn't me that melted that brake hose while heating up jamb nut on that tie rod. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back