Thumbs Down to Stihl, Hello Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 13 year old Stihl FS45C curved shaft trimmer cooked the drive shaft bearings (near the line head), so I went to the Stihl website to buy the parts. I find out that Stihl does not sell parts online to customers, and they do not even make their parts diagrams available to the public.

So I go to my local Stihl dealer and ask them to order the bearing assembly for me. After 10 minutes of online searching, they tell me that Stihl does not have the bearing assembly available to order. I then asked if a curved drive tube with the bearing installed was available to order, and the answer was NO. I go home, get online, and confirm what they have told me. The bearing is available to Canadian and European dealers to sell, but not to USA dealers.

The bearing assembly is not designed for durability, which I understand for a non-pro trimmer. But to then make the bearing not available to buy when the original one fails speaks of planned obsolescence. Now a good condition power head is going to the trash heap. What a waste.

I then went to Home Depot and bought a Echo SRM-225 straight shaft trimmer for $199 (I paid $180 for the Stihl in 2006). Echo offers parts diagrams at their website, and also sells parts online. They are much more DIY repair friendly than Stihl.

Well that's interesting, and thank you for the "heads up". I guess I'm not purchasing any Stihl products anymore, as I service all my own stuff.

I hope you can find a replacement bearing elsewhere.

I've had an SRM-225 for years. Works great, starts every time. Just changed the plug and filter about an hour ago.

Could be in my head, but I do think it runs better with an Autolite plug.

Here is a photo of the bearing, from a UK dealer:

https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/bearing-housing-for-stihl-fse60-fse81-part-no-4140-640-1400.html

The aluminum hex key is a light press fit on the steel shaft, and loosens over time due to taking the force from bumping the string/line head (to release line). When the hex key gets loose enough, tightening the string/line head moves the hex key inward, decreasing bearing clearances and cooking them with friction heat.

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering a chainsaw purchase, I'll go with a Husqvarna.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

Now a good condition power head is going to the trash heap. What a waste..

Sell it on ebay for $50 - someone will make an RC boat out of it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Thanks for the heads up. I was considering a chainsaw purchase, I'll go with a Husqvarna.

I can get any Stihl chainsaw part I want. Never been a problem.

I wonder why trimmers are different.

Like said, sell that power head on eBay. I've had people snap up cheap little Weedeater powerheads.

Originally Posted by bakechad
I've had an SRM-225 for years. Works great, starts every time. Just changed the plug and filter about an hour ago.

Could be in my head, but I do think it runs better with an Autolite plug.

I believe this is the same model I have had for about 18 years. Homeowner use for me. Has been great.

Did you contact a Canadian dealer and ask them to ship the part? I could understand why they would be hesitant, but it being NLA in the US might make them willing to help you.

I would try emailing corporate, too. You could be double fisting trimmers in no time!

In the owners manual for my new Echo trimmer, there is no mention of a break in procedure for the 21.2cc motor. They only write that after running through 2 tankfulls of gas, the engine will be broken in and a carburetor adjustment might be required. Single cylinder 2 cycle small engines don't require a break in procedure nowadays?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
....I would try emailing corporate, too. You could be double fisting trimmers in no time!

I might do that later, when I am feeling less annoyed with Stihl.

Have you considered Echo? I bought an Echo CS450 chainsaw a few years ago and I'm well pleased with it. Plus Echo has a 5 year warranty, if you use their Power blend oil.

I've had the same Echo for at least 7 years with no problem. One thing I recently discovered is that Lowes sells pre-mixed 2-cycle oil that is 95 octane and contains no ethanol. It starts up much faster on this gas. It's not cheap, but it will probably extend the life of the tool.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
. Single cylinder 2 cycle small engines don't require a break in procedure nowadays?

The "average" consumer would NEVER follow such a procedure

I run both saws both husky and stihl and pro saws 576xp auto tune and a 261c I would not give up the 261 sthil it is a awesome saw and hard to beat Husky is on same level. The 261 is the one I grab most of the time and can wheel it all day long.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Have you considered Echo? I bought an Echo CS450 chainsaw a few years ago and I'm well pleased with it. Plus Echo has a 5 year warranty, if you use their Power blend oil.

Not really, but I have nothing against them either. My brother has a Husqvarna chainsaw that is a problem free beast. I bought one of their line trimmers last year and I am very pleased with it, so I'll most likely stick with the brand.

I've got the STIHL service manual and have no problem ordering parts from the dealer. The 4-cycle engine burns fuel super cleanly (no exhaust fumes) and I can easily adjust fuel mixture when needed with my special screwdriver. Happy owner.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back