Intel is dead? - Interesting take

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope Intel not dead. I remember when they made that huge investment in a semiconductor plant.. 25 years ago at this point!

Wintel PCs still rule the roost, ever notice how other processors seem to be flashes in the pan (except maybe for mobile phones now, hmm)

I hope they aren't dead, but I hope they get a kick in the butt for being such a horrible company to the competition. They literally defamed, lied, sold unsafe processors, and cheated their way into being the dominant processor company.

I couldn't handle that computer reading voice.

I have serious doubts that Intel is going anywhere. There seems to be a ton of wild speculation going on there, particularly regarding the direction things are headed and the rate that we are getting there.

for Q1 this year, Intel made $4 billion in NET income, with total revenues of $16.1 billion:
https://www.intc.com/investor-relat...rter-2019-Financial-Results/default.aspx

for Q1 this year, AMD made $16 million in NET income, with total revenues of $1.27 billion:
http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...rts-first-quarter-2019-financial-results

For Q1 this year, NVidia made $500 million in NET income, with total revenues of $2.21 billion:
https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/...sults-for-fourth-quarter-and-fiscal-2019

A few things to glean from this:
- In the CPU and desktop GPU market, Intel is still the leader by a massive margin
- While Intel's revenues were flat quarter-to-quarter, NVidia, which the video claims, is going the direction Intel should be heading, had revenues drop 24%.
- Having a combined CPU/GPU business hasn't appeared to help AMD "catch" Intel, with NVidia's GPU-only business making more money.
- Intel's investment in R&D at $4.9 billion, is 4x AMD's total revenue and 2x NVidia's. I think it's a pretty shaky assumption to believe that Intel's close to $5 billion R&D budget isn't going to yield success going forward.

If we want to slide-in some results from the Mobile market and look at Qualcomm:
- for Q1 this year, Qualcomm lost $1.1 billion in NET income, with total revenues of $4.8 billion:
https://investor.qualcomm.com/static-files/3da55f81-600e-473c-9c1a-dadf30712ace

As I said, I doubt Intel is going anywhere.

Yeah the voice was terrible but lots of good information in there about possible issues ahead for Intel. No doubt they are massive in comparison to AMD but the bigger they are the bigger they fall and the harder it is to turn the ship around should they need to.

Also with the growth happening overseas in Asia and the trade wars happening between our shores and China this could be ramping up to be disastrous considering some of the points raised in this video about Intel and their future plan in comparison to their competition.

One things is for sure Intel has a lot more in terms of their size to right the ship and hold out should it go this way but lets hope the "Too big to fail" syndrome doesn't claim another victim here like other corporations in the past.
grin2.gif

I'm not at all sure Intel is dying.

10nm will happen and maybe even 7. However, 5nm may be currently (near future) unreachable, due to quantum tunneling.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I couldn't handle that computer reading voice.

I have serious doubts that Intel is going anywhere. There seems to be a ton of wild speculation going on there, particularly regarding the direction things are headed and the rate that we are getting there.

for Q1 this year, Intel made $4 billion in NET income, with total revenues of $16.1 billion:
https://www.intc.com/investor-relat...rter-2019-Financial-Results/default.aspx

for Q1 this year, AMD made $16 million in NET income, with total revenues of $1.27 billion:
http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...rts-first-quarter-2019-financial-results

For Q1 this year, NVidia made $500 million in NET income, with total revenues of $2.21 billion:
https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/...sults-for-fourth-quarter-and-fiscal-2019

A few things to glean from this:
- In the CPU and desktop GPU market, Intel is still the leader by a massive margin
- While Intel's revenues were flat quarter-to-quarter, NVidia, which the video claims, is going the direction Intel should be heading, had revenues drop 24%.
- Having a combined CPU/GPU business hasn't appeared to help AMD "catch" Intel, with NVidia's GPU-only business making more money.
- Intel's investment in R&D at $4.9 billion, is 4x AMD's total revenue and 2x NVidia's. I think it's a pretty shaky assumption to believe that Intel's close to $5 billion R&D budget isn't going to yield success going forward.

If we want to slide-in some results from the Mobile market and look at Qualcomm:
- for Q1 this year, Qualcomm lost $1.1 billion in NET income, with total revenues of $4.8 billion:
https://investor.qualcomm.com/static-files/3da55f81-600e-473c-9c1a-dadf30712ace

As I said, I doubt Intel is going anywhere.

I agree.

For comparison: Net income to Total Revenue ratio:
Intel is almost 25% and AMD is only 1.26%

Intel can acquired both AMD and NVidia if they want to and the government allow it.
AMD owned ATI which is a competition to NVidia.
AMD still a lot smaller than NVidia.

You judge????

Originally Posted by Cujet
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence.

Technology has far, far, far, far surpassed any hope of any future "Steve Jobs" type people "building prototypes in their garage".

All new technologies will be created in and administered by major corporations.

Technological entrepreneurs are now extinct.

All of us "'common folk" can only be simple users anymore.

This fits in well with Shannow's thread on monetization. Throw together some fair use clips, some still photos, a computer voice, and ensure the video is longer than 10 minutes, and you've ticked off the boxes for a video that has the potential to maximize its revenue all the while costing virtually nothing to make.

Originally Posted by edhackett
That video is nothing more than AI generated fake news click bait.

Ed

Yup, with the computer "reading voice" that was my take. It's a big 'ol opinion piece that I don't believe is rooted in much, if any, fact. Intel is the dominant player, has been for ages, and will likely continue in that role. They could, as JMJNet noted, easily buy all their competitors in this space with ease, with an operating revenue that is several times all of them combined.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Cujet
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence.

Technology has far, far, far, far surpassed any hope of any future "Steve Jobs" type people "building prototypes in their garage".

All new technologies will be created in and administered by major corporations.

Technological entrepreneurs are now extinct.

All of us "'common folk" can only be simple users anymore.

How you use the tech is just as important as the tech. Wozniak didn't make chips. Little guys are still relevant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
I will still remain an AMD customer. Been using their CPU's for years and will continue.

I tried AMD a few times and unless things have changed, it has to be a screaming deal before I research out the equivalent Intel options.

Is a Core i5 or i7 still a thing?

Originally Posted by edhackett
That video is nothing more than AI generated fake news click bait.

Ed

Yep. I started to watch it then quickly stopped.

I conduct daily commerce at RNB (Robert Noyce) Corporate Headquarters.
Also SC 9 Corporate Receiving.
Also SC 2 Photo Mask Manufacturing.
All in Santa Clara CA.

Intel employees are tired because the company is busy and they are working long hours.
No one is in panic mode about losing their jobs...at all.

My prediction is that Intel will remain at the forefront of technology for the long run.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
I conduct daily commerce at RNB (Robert Noyce) Corporate Headquarters.
Also SC 9 Corporate Receiving.
Also SC 2 Photo Mask Manufacturing.
All in Santa Clara CA.

Intel employees are tired because the company is busy and they are working long hours.
No one is in panic mode about losing their jobs...at all.

My prediction is that Intel will remain at the forefront of technology for the long run.

thumbsup2.gif

I read the other day that some 'cloud' company had found that patching Intel's security holes cost them 25% of the performance of their servers. That's potentially a big reason to switch to AMD.

A desktop user might get away without patching holes that require hostile software on the machine to exploit. A 'cloud' company can't, because anyone can rent a virtual machine and install hostile software on it to steal data from anyone else using the same machine.

Either way, I'm going to have to build a new gaming machine soon, and unless Intel pull their finger out it will have an AMD CPU in it for the first time. We have a couple of low-end AMD machines in the house, but I've never considered an AMD CPU for anything CPU-intensive before... Intel might beat them today, but who knows what the performance will be like after the next round of security holes and mitigations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back