Honda extends warranty for CR-V and Civic due to engine problems

If you recently bought a new or newer Honda CR-V or Civic, you're going to want to listen to this news. Honda is extending the powertrain warranty on more than 1 million cars in the U.S. Specifically, Honda is targeting 2017-2018 CR-Vs and 2016-2018 Civics with the 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine.

Consumer Reports uncovered a memo sent to Honda dealers concerning the news from Honda's manager of auto campaigns and recalls. That memo said that the oil in these engines could be diluted due to software settings or potential hardware failures. A previous report didn't name the Civic's version of the 1.5-liter turbo as a problem yet, but it looks like Honda's internal investigation has found it to suffer from a similar issue as the CR-V's "rising" oil levels.

Last fall, Honda offered a free fix to folks with this engine in their CR-V in 21 cold-weather states, which totaled about 239,000 vehicles. That included new engine and transmission software, an oil change and some air conditioning control unit replacements. The engine software is the key here, as the reason oil levels have been "rising" is due to gasoline that hasn't been vaporized in combustion washing down the cylinders and mixing with the oil.

Of note is the inclusion of the U.S. Civic in this latest news — Honda previously recalled Civics in China, (the 1.5-liter turbo is not exactly the same there as it is here), but it hasn't been officially, previously noted by the company with this problem in the U.S. Honda sent along this statement concerning the extended warranty:

"Abnormal oil dilution remains extremely rare, especially outside of extremely cold weather areas, and there only during said extreme cold. This warranty extension is primarily to provide reassurance to vehicle owners who may be concerned by varying oil levels in these engines, which, in most cases is normal and does not cause engine damage. In extreme and rare cases in the cold weather states, where abnormal oil dilution has occurred prior to a vehicle receiving the software updates, this extension will provide extra time for any undetected engine damage to become apparent and be covered by the warranty."

The memo sent to dealers goes on to say that the problem could ultimately cause the vehicles to experience a lack of power, leading to cylinder misfires and engine noise. Owners who are eligible for this one year of extra warranty should be notified this month. There is no mileage limit on the extended warranty, so you'll have it for all six years instead of the previously standard five years.

10 years warranty on a 1.5L turbo turning an A/C compressor? + CRV all wheel drive pushing 3,500+lbs?
Honda is a smart company, not idiots.

Originally Posted by dblshock
adds resale value, I'm @30mo. 40k now.

If a full powertrain warranty possibly. However on specific components it does little for resale. Only says to next buyer I am getting an ill designed Honda.

My 07 Acura MDX has two defects(torque converter/cats) that Acura simply increased warranty to 8yr/120k. They fixed software free but concerned about fail of parts.

Originally Posted by vw7674
10 years warranty on a 1.5L turbo turning an A/C compressor? + CRV all wheel drive pushing 3,500+lbs?

I got 10 years on my turbocharged Mazda. 10y/150K miles. It was worth the $2400ish extra. Covers the car bumper to bumper.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by vw7674

I got 10 years on my turbocharged Mazda. 10y/150K miles. It was worth the $2400ish extra. Covers the car bumper to bumper.

$2400 is steep. Future reference those dealer profit centers are negotiable sometimes half.

It's sad that the fed govt has to stick their nose in this. If it wasn't for CAFE, then Honda would still be making 300,000 mile cars. This tech which undermines reliability will affect resale and engine life. All manufacturers will ultimately be touched by this unless CAFE standards are relaxed or abandoned. If the govt wanted to increase efficiency (it shouldn't) it could SIMPLY raise the taxes on gasoline to sharply affect retail prices to the point people would lean to higher MPG vehicles. That would probably be cheaper in the long run for the taxpayer compared to cars that need repairs and depreciate quickly. Rant complete.

Originally Posted by Aichiguy
It's sad that the fed govt has to stick their nose in this. If it wasn't for CAFE, then Honda would still be making 300,000 mile cars. This tech which undermines reliability will affect resale and engine life. All manufacturers will ultimately be touched by this unless CAFE standards are relaxed or abandoned. If the govt wanted to increase efficiency (it shouldn't) it could SIMPLY raise the taxes on gasoline to sharply affect retail prices to the point people would lean to higher MPG vehicles. That would probably be cheaper in the long run for the taxpayer compared to cars that need repairs and depreciate quickly. Rant complete.

The problem is that government intervention should be kept to minimum. Things like safety, reducing actual harmful pollutants, not the boogeyman CO2.

The solution is never more taxing, although plenty seem to be convinced it is. By having that mindeset you're giving the leaches more power to simply waste it and then come up with excuses to demand more. Better yet, they're quite good at convincing the taxpayers to ask for more taxes, like you just did.

Instead of asking for more taxation, you should be demanding clear accountability where the current tax dollars go. With so many has guzzlers we have on the roads, our roads and bridges should be some of the best in the world, yet they're terrible. So where is all that money going?

Last edited:
I agree KrisZ. I suggested (it shouldn't) stick it's nose in it. Even when it does it's usually in a less than rational way.

I knew that engine would be trouble, just as soon as I read the new vehicle sticker that shows both turbo and direct inject.
Glad I shopped elsewhere now. GM will soon face the same thing with that new Equinox engine that has both turbo and direct inject.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I knew that engine would be trouble, just as soon as I read the new vehicle sticker that shows both turbo and direct inject.
Glad I shopped elsewhere now. GM will soon face the same thing with that new Equinox engine that has both turbo and direct inject.

Mazda has turbo and direct injection. Does fine. So does Subaru.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Add start stop and cylinder deactivation and you must think they will blow up right off the showroom floor.

Change is hard for some.

A lot of this stuff could have been mitigated with better fuel - Honda probably stuck with 87 for US/Canada/China cars and 91-95 for Japanese and European spec models. CAFE and "cost of ownership". To combat knock, Honda probably sprayed more fuel, which results in a intercooling effect to allow the ignition timing to be as aggressive as can be without blowing holes in the pistons.

GM has been vocal about making premium the new regular, like how it is in Europe.

Back