2006 LBZ Duramax 17,773 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 GMC Duramax with 210,000 total miles. 17,773 miles on Texas Refinery Corp Moly XL Pro Spec 3 15w-40. Napa gold filter that has been on this entire run and I've added 1 quart of oil. This truck gets worked pulling a trailer pretty much daily that is anywhere from 4-14k. 90% city driving with very little idle time.

C73FB730-190D-4D15-BEF3-3DBF364DBD20.jpeg

Wow, first of all a great report. Duramax UOA always amaze me, you almost never see a bad one.

This oil is crazy. Almost 4,000 Calcium over 500 Mg, over 1100 Zn, nice dose of Moly and Boron. With all that Ca and Mg no wonder the TBN is still so high. What is the SA of this oil, has to be a BUNCH.

I'm not sure what SA is? I sent a virgin sample in and I'll post that when I get it back. I sent it to CAT but hopefully the numbers correspond.

Originally Posted by ditchdiggin
I'm not sure what SA is? I sent a virgin sample in and I'll post that when I get it back. I sent it to CAT but hopefully the numbers correspond.

S.A. is Sulfated Ash, the metallic content of the oil when burned off. I looked up the PDS for your oil. Starting TBN is 15+ Ca 4500 SA was the highest I've ever seen at 1.72%.

Pretty stout oil, definitely not for a diesel with exhaust emissions!

Where did you buy It? Based on your UOA you could probably run this oil for 25,000 miles or more, the early numbers look good. But I'd want more data along the way to confirm.

Ok thanks for the SA explanation. I go through a salesman that is in the Grand Rapids Mi area and it gets shipped to me. I've used their grease for quite a while and he talked me into trying the oil a few years ago. I ran the previous fill for 18,000 and changed it with no sample taken and figured it'd be a good idea this time to make sure there's no surprises. Prior to using the TRC oil it got filled with either Mobil Delvac or Rotella T both in 15w-40 since new.

" SA was the highest I've ever seen at 1.72%."

Many European ACEA E4 oils, including Delvac 1 SHC 5W40, which I use, have a SA of 1.8-1.9%
The TRC oil did shear quite a bit, note the drop in vis100 from 15.5 to 12.72. Probably not a problem.

Last edited:
If 10W30 was used instead of 15W40, would the drop in viscosity be a problem? Soot loading and oxidation may have kept the viscosity from dropping further.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
If 10W30 was used instead of 15W40, would the drop in viscosity be a problem? Soot loading and oxidation may have kept the viscosity from dropping further.

A drop of 2.8 from 12.4 to 9.6 (xW20 region) would indeed be a problem, although apparently Duramaxes tolerate 10W30 just fine.
In 25k mi my 5W40 dropped from 14.4 to 13.0

in colder climates a 10-30 would prolly do + on that note i am wondering if a typical fake synthetic 15-40 would "work" in my girlfriends oil consuming 2.5 L DI 2013 malibu. summers in Pa would be fine but wondering about winter starting issues

A Dmax UOA showing Fe 2ppm/1k miles, after nearly 18k miles of use. All other metals are ghosts; so low they're not worth mentioning.

Yet another typical boring Dmax UOA.

The lube did it's job, but the Dmax could not care less about what's in there, except that it only need be the proper iteration for the year of engine. Other than that, they don't care at all.

I am encouraged to see that the lube and filter both went out past 15k miles. Most all of my data for "normal" products shows wear rates dropping out to 15k miles. Seems like 17k miles has caused no undue wear trend shift.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

S.A. is Sulfated Ash, the metallic content of the oil when burned off. I looked up the PDS for your oil. Starting TBN is 15+ Ca 4500 SA was the highest I've ever seen at 1.72%.

Where did you buy It? Based on your UOA you could probably run this oil for 25,000 miles or more, the early numbers look good. But I'd want more data along the way to confirm.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

Amsoil Sig Series oils all have 2.2% ash as per Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back