Trans fluid change at 30K??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by i6pwr
I changed the fluid in my 4L60E every 30-40K since new. Has 289K on it and only had to replace the seperator plate at 165K....still functions fine.

I would do it all over again, IMO, with regards to transmissions, nothing wrong with staying well ahead of the game.

BiL got 400k from a 4L60e (5.3L GM) with authorized BG tech doing a flush at 50k …
The engine only got Mobil dino and jobber filter at an Mobil 1 Lube Express
(5k OCI) …

On a number of FWD cars … you don't have a pan and filter setup … I do a gallon of Maxlife on the Cruze every 20k … takes an extra 10 minutes during an oil change

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Spector
I believe the fluid flush at my dealer was 229 last year, done at 40,000 miles 2013 Elantra

For about the same price my dealership only does drain and fill. Service advisor said not needed till 60k. That surprised me. Recommending what the owner's manual recommends. He must have been having an off day.
smile.gif

Here is my thinking.

1. I have never heard of the 6-speed Hyundai transmission failing. Hyundai forums is full of engine failure posts. I have not seen one transmission failure post.
2. Transmission fluids are better these days. Where 30k was the interval I used in the past 60k seems in line with the improvement in transmission fluids.

Changing it sooner may be beneficial, but I see no evidence for this transmission that 60k intervals will not ensure a long trouble free service life.

Originally Posted by ClarkSuper100
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd do it.

+1.

I would definitely do it. Compared to the price of a new transmission, the fluid is cheap. Besides, when doing a drain and fill you're never going to get all the old fluid out. Refreshing the remaining fluid with new fluid will help keep the internals of your tranny nice and clean. Another reason to do it is that your fluid could turn brown sometime between 30K and 60K. Why let that happen?

+2 What he said
thumbsup2.gif

Just do a drain and fill on your own a few times.

I have this excel spread sheet that can show you how much you are changing each time in a drain and fill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back