Which brand for strut mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM OE only.

Reuse your existing ones if they still work.

The rest of them are garbage.

Several years ago I had new KYB struts installed in my Saturn Ion. The KYB mounts were noisy and it went away when I had Monroe mounts installed.
I believe the KYB mounts were made in Thailand while the Monroe's were made in Taiwan....

OEM ONLY!!!!

If your car is GM, PLEASE beware that ACDelco doesn't always mean GM OE! Make sure it' says GM OE!!!! (Rock Auto may carry both the OE and non-OE ACDelco)

The only time to use aftermarket strut mounts is if you're using quick struts, since they're so easy to install and have a lifetime warranty.

OEM it is then, but at $105.37 a piece, maybe I should hold off until I really need them. I was just going to replace them as preventative maintenance while replacing the struts. Sort of like replacing a water pump whenever installing a timing belt kit.

Just change it all out, do you really want to go back in and do the job twice over something that youll be taking off anyway? Sachs is OE to many many manufacturers, Id trust them as an OE quality product over any of the others besides Genuine. Ive had issues at my shop with Moog and Monroe, Im mostly European so maybe its different for American, but I wont trust them again. I had to do a ball joint 3 times under 1 year warranty that was supposedly Moogs "Heavy duty" I went to a Febi balljoint and its been fine for 5 years

Last edited:
I've only ever once had a bad strut bearing (came with my 257k mile prius) and the $10 ebay replacement is still fine 18k later.

What I'm saying is, stay with your OE piece, but don't sweat the replacement brand either.

Originally Posted by Audios
Just change it all out, do you really want to go back in and do the job twice over something that youll be taking off anyway?

Bingo!

Once you start tearing apart old (but working) parts, you tend to create more stresses and causing problems than if you left it alone.
Buy the correct OE parts and you'll never have to think twice.

OK guys, this is my updated shopping cart. What you guys think?

KYB 335037 GR-2 / Excel-G Front Strut x 2

MOOG K5348 Upper Spring Seat w/ Insulator x 2

MOOG K5349 Lower Spring Seat x 2

MONROE 63622 Strut-Mate Strut Bellow Kit x 2

SACHS 802859 Strut Mount w/ Bearing x 2

Originally Posted by das_peikko
OK guys, this is my updated shopping cart. What you guys think?

KYB 335037 GR-2 / Excel-G Front Strut x 2

MOOG K5348 Upper Spring Seat w/ Insulator x 2

MOOG K5349 Lower Spring Seat x 2

MONROE 63622 Strut-Mate Strut Bellow Kit x 2

SACHS 802859 Strut Mount w/ Bearing x 2

Consider using quick struts
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Consider using quick struts
smile.gif

I would like to, but the research I've done tells me the springs will be calibrated too stiff (permanently raising front of car) and all the other parts will be cheaped out on in order to cut the overall cost of the quick strut; and that applies to all brands of quick struts.

Originally Posted by The Critic
GM OE only.

Reuse your existing ones if they still work.

The rest of them are garbage.

THIS

The Monroe strut mounts that I have used were all really good quality. They were all purchased as a strut mount only.
I question if the strut mounts that come with quick struts are as good (for any brand of quick strut).

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Here is a link to the OE strut mounts

That part number 88946477 has been superseded by 19208376 and they're $93.80 a piece plus shipping.
shocked2.gif

Maybe I should re-evaluate whether or not to replace the mounts. From what I've seen on u-boob, they only need replacing when the strut rod wiggles around inside the mount.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
From what I've seen on u-boob, they only need replacing when the strut rod wiggles around inside the mount.

From your background, I thought you had a basic understanding of how a vehicle's suspension system works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back