Lexus '04 ES330 DTCs Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up an '04 ES 330 with 148,000 miles. Well actually, "just picked up" is an understatement. I flew down to Florida and drove it back home which was 1,500 miles. Codes are P0420 (cat 1), P0430 (bank 2) and P0128 (coolant temp).

Do you think the bad thermostat ruined the catalytic converter(s) ? It was definitely running cold down the highway but in the hellish heat of Florida the temp needle was perfectly in the middle so it calls for a new thermostat anyway. I'm hoping that a new thermostat will be a cure-all and the cats will magically be just fine but I doubt it. On the other hand, it was getting 31 MPG on the highway so it wasn't exactly dumping fuel out the exhaust either.

20190521_161211.jpg

Dont ignore the fan(s) on the coolant temp issue..

I would clear the codes and see what comes back once you resolve the fans or thermostat..

The thermostat will often cause the cat faults since the car cant completely warm up. They gauge may say its warm, but it can still be 15-20 degrees below OT. Start with the thermostat and temp sensor, clear faults and see if it goes away.

Yeah, I'll start with the 'stat. I assume everyone's going to suggest OEM only which is about $14 for a genuine one on eBay so I'll do that and report back.

Originally Posted by Audios
The thermostat will often cause the cat faults since the car cant completely warm up. They gauge may say its warm, but it can still be 15-20 degrees below OT. Start with the thermostat and temp sensor, clear faults and see if it goes away.

X2!

If your thermostat failed closed, you would have never made it home.

Pull the thermostat and see if it's stuck open. You can test the thermostat in boiling water to see if it is stuck/sticking. It should move from closed to open if it's working properly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nayov
Yeah, I'll start with the 'stat. I assume everyone's going to suggest OEM only which is about $14 for a genuine one on eBay so I'll do that and report back.

No, be careful about that. A lot of those are "fake." They are a thermostat, but not OEM. BTDT. Also check the rad cap. Changing the t-stat on these is pretty easy, it's just under the intake in the back of the V.

NAPA has an OEM thermostat (Tama) for like $30. The Stant and others are junk, don't use them. If you can find a truly OE one on ebay cheaper, go for it. But shop wisely.

OTOH, the OE thermostat is really robust and odd it quit at that mileage; I got about 300k out of ours before it failed (have an 03; have had a while and worked on quite a lot). Is the coolant still the toyota red or has it been changed? That often leads to rot in the system. If you were getting 31 on the highway, your burn was pretty efficient and it's very unlikely the cats are really damaged; they are pretty robust on these though not bulletproof. If after the t-stat and resetting the codes the cat codes come back, there are still ways to deal with that instead of pulling the headers off (the cats are one piece with the exhaust manifold). I don't even know if you can get the rear manifold off with the engine properly mounted in the car; it's crazy tight against the firewall - which creates others issues, of course. You really don't want to replace the cats because the aftermarket ones are junk and the OE ones for a pair will cost more than you probably paid for the car...

The sub-forum at ClubLexus is really helpful for these - a good place to look when you run into questions. Post there or feel free to pm me if you have q's.

One quirk (among others) is that that main CC relay in the under-hood fuse box generates fault codes in the CC module on the dash. If you notice the CC panel blinking at random times, there is an updated relay you can buy that fixes this. It's like $7 from Ebay. That looks like a nice car; must have been garaged most of it's life - no way the headlights would be remotely clear like that from Florida - even ours in WA were a nice toasted yellow in 10 years. I'd love to have another one with 100 to 150k on it right now; you made a good catch and it's probably well worth the flight and drive back. I fully expect to get 500k out of the one we have, and all the time running nicely and looking good (doing the proper maintenance, of course).

Resist the urge to use DexIII, WS, or MaxLife fluid in the AT. They are happiest with T-IV and it will minimize the notorious "clunk." You can get T-IV just as cheap as any fluid if you shop. Summit racing has a good deal always on it. A few months ago I found a great deal on Amazon for Idemitsu T-IV and bought a case or more, so I'm set for five years.
wink.gif

Check with local stealership with pricing. You can buy the t-stat in both Toyota or Lexus.
All the 3.3L engine will have the same t-stat (Toyota or Lexus).

It should be around $20 from stealership and you will get the original Kuzeh.

The gasket can come from local part store for less than $2.

If the layout is the same like the Sienna.
The location is somewhat weird and may need to get the starter loosen up to replace the t-stat.
The t-stat housing is made of plastic and can break easily with age.

I just did this job last year on my '06 SE V6, which is mechanically identical to a ES330

Even though this video is on a older 1MZ Solara, it's damm near identical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRRpnMcA6vU

Get the thermostat, and a 96761-35031 Water inlet O-Ring, just to be safe

Genuine Toyota thermostats have there seal on them in the package

It was sub $30 for all of it from my local Toyota Parts Counter, why screw around with the aftermarket.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher

Genuine Toyota thermostats have there seal on them in the package

It was sub $30 for all of it from my local Toyota Parts Counter, why screw around with the aftermarket.

Wow, that's shockingly fair. When I checked, the 'stat and gasket was $50 at my local toyota dealership (Bellevue, WA), and $60 at the Lexus dealership. I was very pleased Napa had an OEM one and gasket for $30.

The thermostat can be accessed by removing the air box, battery and the starter.

I found no need to remove the battery or starter; just felt around it for the one nut you can't see.

3.3, as in the timing belt motor? When was that last done? Wondering if a full timing belt job isn't in order, as those kits often come with the t-stat.

Update: The good, a new thermostat cured the P0128 problem which is surprising because the old one closed when cold and opened when boiled, so I suppose it was "lazy." I also installed a new radiator because it was leaking from the top seam ($57 for a Denso, amazing!).

The bad, still throws the P0420 and PO430 codes after a handful of miles. The car has great power so I doubt the converter(s) are melted or otherwise falling apart internally. I can still cheat and get a state inspection by clearing the code, so no big deal except having that light on is driving me insane.

I've seen many crazy situations where a bad battery causes codes and odd problems, so I had Walmart test it on their big charger out back and they said needs replacement. I did so and it didn't fix anything.

Next I'm going to toy around with the O2 sensors.

Last edited:
Solution was using 02 sensor extenders which much to my surprise actually worked. For off road use only, of course.
whistle.gif

Replace the thermostat and the coolant temperature sensor.
Also flush the entire cooling system there are 2 block nuts. The one behind the front pre-cat very easy to access and totally you will get 8Q out of it (capacity is 9+), the one on the side won't get much out.
I did that on my vehicle and well worth it - this engine may not have had a coolant replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back