Hard to get these wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Char Baby
….. Even though the G/Y ACTT have the same tread pattern across the tire, it's that one sidewall is stiffer than the other. I guess that G/Y chose to only put one stiffer sidewall on the Touring as to give the driver that little bit extra in the corners without making the whole tire too harsh?

That statement is false.

Not only am I not aware that ANYONE who uses different sidewall stiffnesses inside to outside, Tire Rack's write up doesn't mention it, BUT it does mention that the tread is slightly asymmetrical.

Like I said earlier I've own lots of cars/trucks and bought lots of sets of new tires and never saw one labelled inside/outside. Is this asymmetry more so on summer tread sport oriented car tires? (one category I don't buy) I looked this Falken Ziex up on Tire Rack and sure enough the photo clearly shows the "inside" lettering. Kind of curious now why the max pressure and load ratings aren't in 1/2 inch high numbers as well. Don't care one way or the other just something new to me. Agree whitewalls and white letters can stay a thing of the past. A guy at work insisted the white letters be out on his new truck tires but has never cleaned them in years. Huh?

I just swapped 2 goodyears out from ETD yesterday. I dont know if anyone is familiar with Goodyears, but they have the nice jazzy writing and designs on one side only, the inside is a no frills stamped goodyear eagle ls and the size. INSIDE in huge letters, yet 2 were installed backwards, and neither the installer nor the customer noticed it...

Just went to the driveway to check the wife's new Sumitomos mounted yesterday to make sure outside was outside. I think they had an outsized font too. Ill snap a picture later.
Funny though I hds some directionals ( brand ??) that were VERY hard to decipher which way they mounted,

Just make the font smaller I suppose. Maybe inside a "direction of rotation" arrow in front of the tire model font

So why is this a problem, do you go around inspecting tires.
lol.gif

Aren't you supposed to mount the DOT date code outside, so it's easier to read later?
28.gif

Originally Posted by gman2304
^ This. What happened to the directional arrow?

Don't go by this "Eagle Beak"- To me it's facing the wrong way ( this is the Driver's Side Front tire )
[Linked Image]

Saved by the OUTSIDE lettering! Whew!
[Linked Image]

Note date of manufacture -- These tires SMELL.

I thought normally the dot date code is only on one side and that side is normally mounted on the inside, not the outside.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I thought normally the dot date code is only on one side and that side is normally mounted on the inside, not the outside.

The current rules state that the FULL DOT code needs only to be on one side, and the other side has to have a partial code (everything but the date code.)

- AND -

That full DOT code is supposed to be on the side intended out.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Originally Posted by Wolf359

The current rules state that the FULL DOT code needs only to be on one side, and the other side has to have a partial code (everything but the date code.)

- AND -

That full DOT code is supposed to be on the side intended out.

That falls apart with directional tires. One side is GUARANTEED to not have the date code visible.

I think they mold them with the date code dog tags out for asymmetrical - but like you said, they must NOT be directional.

Now my brain hurts....

So wonder if the wifes cars sticks better when going right rather than left in the rain?

The tires must be noisier on one side than the other too.

Never thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back