SKF grease with graphite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been using SKF LGEV 2 grease (https://www.skf.com/group/products/...-grease-with-solid-lubricants/index.html) on some car body bolts, to prevent seizing and corrosion. According to specification it has great corrosion and water resistance. But recently I read that graphite can cause galvanic corrosion.

Do you think it is relevant in my case?

I also have VALVOLINE Multipurpose Calcium Grease (https://www.valvoline.com/en-europe/our-products/grease/calcium). Do you think it would be better for this application?

Originally Posted by Kestas
Why aren't you using Neverseize, which is specifically made for this purpose?

Just used what I had. There are anti-sieze copper greases from Valvoline and Liqui Moly, SKF has anti-fretting agent. May be you know which would offer best corrosion protection?

Last edited:
What are you trying to prevent from corroding? The best way to prevent corrosion is to exclude electrolyte, such as an application of rustproofing compound.

There is no grease, antiseize, or compound applied to threads that would prevent corrosion. Though compound applied to threads will help exclude electrolyte, at least for a while. The dressing of threads is typically to make disassembly easier.

A long time ago, when my dad bought a new car, I went through every nut and bolt I could reach under the car and treat it with antiseize. This paid off years later when I had to do repairs.

Hello PreludeDenarius,

in the past I used the same product for the same reason
smile.gif
I thought I was the only one
smile.gif

I consider SKF a company that manufactures very high quality products, but in the lubrication sector many other choices exist in the market. It depends on availability as well.

I also tried to find the LGEV version (higher viscosity -solid lubricants) in order to have one product for the chassis lubrication spots as well. I concluded that a dedicated product for avoiding seizing is better performing, Kestas wrote a very useful post, I would use copper anti-seize paste for steel bolts or a nickel containing one for the high alloy ones (exhaust etc). Loctite-Henkel products are easy to find were I live. Mind the tightening torque every time you use such a product, the product may lower the coefficients of friction so take care not to strip the threads.

Now my experience: the product LGEM has low resistance to the elements, it will not prevent corrosion. This is my experience from my applications, it gets washed away very easily. You can also search among Klüber product range (should be available easily in DE).
The following products are on my list for a trial, both are hi visc ones.
Klüberplex BE 31-222-502
Klüber Staburags NBU 30

Last edited:
Hi Berlyn,

Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by berlyn

Mind the tightening torque every time you use such a product, the product may lower the coefficients of friction so take care not to strip the threads.

I try to be pretty gentle
cool.gif

The reason LGEV 2 was interesting to me, is because it looked like the 'nastiest' grease out of SKF range. For example, compared to LGEM, according to SKF website, there are some differences:

LGEV 2:
Extremely high viscosity grease
Lithium/calcium soap (maybe better rust protection?)
Base oil viscosity:
40 °C, mm²/s - 1 020
100 °C, mm²/s - 58
Was tested with sea water

LGEM:
High viscosity grease
Lithium soap
Base oil viscosity:
40 °C, mm²/s - 500
100 °C, mm²/s - 32
Wasn't tested with sea water

I'll check out Klüber and Loctite products as well.

Isn't graphite commonly used in antiseize?

I have heard of folks using grease as a surrogate antiseize, but getting the real stuff is likely better.

Hi JHZR2,

Bought Valvoline copper compound
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JHZR2

According to SDS it has a small percent of graphite in it. I guess it is good for steel, but maybe not all other metals.

Originally Posted by PreludeDenarius
Hi JHZR2,

Bought Valvoline copper compound
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JHZR2

According to SDS it has a small percent of graphite in it. I guess it is good for steel, but maybe not all other metals.

That's a whole other discussion. Copper and aluminum will react, for example, but people use Cu antiseize in aluminum engines regularly.

I think I read for aluminum wheels on iron brakes, zinc antiseize was the best.

I feel like there should be an anti seize vs material coupling chart but I've never found a conprehensive one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back