2004 Prius - Repair or Sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rshaw125
Replacement batteries are no where near $2000. This vehicle could be a great deal for a resourceful person.

If you believe in aftermarket rebuilt batteries, sure. But if you have done your homework on how the process works, you will realize that it is not a viable option if you need the car to be reliable.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Honestly not sure. How much money does person have on hand beyond $2600 +$1000 from dump it to buy something else?

They have a new-ish car, just not as fuel efficient. This is their second car.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
My Stealership currently replace the 12 volt battery with a 84 month battery for $129 installed. ...

Those promos usually exclude the Prius 12v battery; the dealer's cost on them is well past $150. ...
In my Prius I have over 4 years on an AGM U1-size battery that cost $65 new, including shipping. So far, so good.

Yes, but for me, I cannot recommend 12V batteries that are not specified for the application. My "cost" on the proper-sized 12V battery is $174.

Originally Posted by vw7674
I gotta see this $2,000 brake actuator. : )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Genuine-Toyota-2006-2009-Prius-ABS-Actuator-Pump-Assembly-44500-47141/254204913494?hash=item3b2fcb2756:g:vtcAAOSw9P9cyZa6:sc:USPSPriority!98126!US!-1
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~actuator~assy~brake~44500-47090.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Prius&Year=2004&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=brake-tube-clamp,,44510

The price varies by VIN, but labor time for install is a few hours so you're looking at a minimum of $2K.

Last edited:
If you can sell it repaired for $5k, heck yeah it makes sense to do a $2600 repair. It's in the Bay Area, so rust isn't going to be a factor.

I'd fix it, and half-[censored] it! Then sit on my creation and decide if I then had faith in it.

You can get a 35Ah AGM 12V battery on ebay for $65, modify the connections slightly, and it fits.

Each battery module is $27 on ebay, probably only need a couple.

People need to downgrade their expectations for the quality of repairs as the item being repaired decreases in value. Or, if they're attached to something, be honest with themselves that they are, and that the money they're spending won't be recoverable.

If she dumps the car, it'll get auctioned, and the used car lot will fix the car as I described.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I'd fix it, and half-[censored] it! Then sit on my creation and decide if I then had faith in it.

You can get a 35Ah AGM 12V battery on ebay for $65, modify the connections slightly, and it fits.

Each battery module is $27 on ebay, probably only need a couple.

People need to downgrade their expectations for the quality of repairs as the item being repaired decreases in value.

If she dumps the car, it'll get auctioned, and the used car lot will fix the car as I described.

That would be a good strategy for a DIYer, not a professional that needs to stand behind his repair.

Thanks for the link to Ebay ABS actuator, Critic.
Purchasing a main battery pack would be a gamble, you're relying on the electrics & the ICE & the transmission/torque splitter/ God knows what else to recapture your $.
Seeing as this hybrid must have all drive components 'good' to be a driver, it's not the deal it appears to be.
There must be a Prius site catering to people who've battery swapped these so you can learn exactly where you're headed if you do try it.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Thanks for the link to Ebay ABS actuator, Critic.
Purchasing a main battery pack would be a gamble, you're relying on the electrics & the ICE & the transmission/torque splitter/ God knows what else to recapture your $.
Seeing as this hybrid must have all drive components 'good' to be a driver, it's not the deal it appears to be.
There must be a Prius site catering to people who've battery swapped these so you can learn exactly where you're headed if you do try it.

I have done one before, here's a thread that I made about the last Prius battery I did:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...prius-hybrid-battery-failure#Post4816053

Just not sure if it makes financial sense for this car to receive a new battery.

My 2 cents:
Do they like the car and wanna keep it alive?
Insurance and registration is lower on an older car, and we know what registration costs in sunny CA.
Is the body, interior, brakes, etc in good shape?

Or, do they want something new?

I like to keep 'em alive, but that's just me. You can also pass it on to a friend or family member in need...
If they would like something new, this is the time.
Fix it and drive it for a few more years, if the rest is OK, could be the cheapest option.

But is is a 2004; if it is marginal, I would most likely tell it bye-bye if something newer is in the budget.

Last edited:
If mine I still would replace the 12v first and drive it around to see if normal blue and green bars appear on the display. If so, just keep on driving it. Tree huggers aren't buying it for 5k in Calif, Uber drivers are. A lot of cars have thousands in abs and other parts these days. The Prius saves on other parts, no alternator, no starter, and no burned out clutches in the transmission.

A Honda battery will fit it if you change the battery cable ends, though I doubt its worth it ...

Too bad it is across the country, I have a passable aux battery i'd give you.

My 2 cents I wouldn't fix it at retail unless it is a highly optioned car and nice, try to get what you can out of it from someone who can DIY...

I recently got a little over 6 for a basically perfect high package 07 Touring with records and slightly less than 100,000 miles... it was among the most expensive gen 2 in the auto trader, I know the market is different there but 5K sounds pretty optimistic for an "average car"

Fix it.. You say in working order could sell for $5k. With new batteries it would be worth more. Some are quick to trash a good vehicle.

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
Fix it.. You say in working order could sell for $5k. With new batteries it would be worth more. Some are quick to trash a good vehicle.

The owners walk away with $1k-$1.5k or $5000-$2600= $2400 after fixing battery's.

Like Critic stated close with a $1000+ difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back