Who makes the Thickest 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a thick 5W-20 oil
My son has a 2008 Mustang 4.6L with some cold start ticking
He's been running Penn Plat HM

Originally Posted by kstanf150
4.6L with some cold start ticking

F150 forums have some info on that issue. Have you checked on the Mustang forums?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Run a 0w20 (any name brand) and put in a cup or two of Schaeffer Moly EP ( https://www.amazon.com/Schaeffer-Manufacturing-0132023S-Moly-Treatment/dp/B00JF2LGF2 ) which thickens it a bit, and it might help the lifter tick.
Or, you can run a 5w30 that is slightly on the thin side of a 5w30, Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 is one of the thinner ones, almost a 5w20 !

I've told him to just run a 5W-30 and try it
But he's bought into the rule of only running
What Ford recommends. ...³
But I agree with you 5W-30 penn plat is a great choice for a thin 30wt

Last edited:
If it is piston slap, heavier oil isn't going to help. It could also be a cracked manifold or broken studs.

Is this a riddle? Like, what weighs more? A pound of steel or a pound of feathers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi

Is this a riddle? Like, what weighs more? A pound of steel or a pound of feathers.

There is more to that riddle.

Which is heavier? 100 pounds of lead or 100 pounds of feathers.

The usual answer is that they are equal.

The response is, try picking up 100 pounds of feathers.

Originally Posted by atikovi

No not at all, they round off the numbers in 5 digit increments because of silly human mental limitations, kind of like how some recommend changing your oil every year when 365 days is no more relevant than 201 or 402.375 days compared to the driving environment.

Some -20W is a little above, some a little below, but the whole topic is simpler to address than suggested so far, because if you want something slightly higher than 5W-20, all you have to do is substitute one quart of 5W-30. There is no problem whatsoever mixing the two grades of motor oil if your goal is slightly thicker. Granted, slightly thicker, is slight, not really enough to matter.

Personally, I'd just run 5W-30 in summer and 5W-20 in winter but this may be off on a tangent relative to the noise...

I would look into other things like whether the ticking might be due to chain tensioners with weak springs that need replaced (whole tensioner not just the spring, they are hydraulic but the springs weaken and are needed until oil circulates) and if that doesn't solve it, pull the oil pan to see if there are pieces of plastic from a timing chain guide broken and fallen to the bottom. Make sure it's using an oil filter with a good silicone anti drain back valve.

Last edited:
Reg Mobil 1 5w-20 is probably the most popular thick 20 at 8.9 cST @100c

Mag 1 5w-20 is also an 8.9 according to their site. Mag 1 is probably pretty similar to Walmart's Supertech Full Syn 5w-20.

As already covered, PP 5w-30 would probably be a nice choice at 9.8 cST @100c.

Shoot, M1 5w-20 and PP 5w-30 are closer in operating temp viscosity than PP 5w-30 is to QSUD 5w-30(11.6 cSt @100c)

Just go with the PP 5w-30 IMO

Already been asked long ago. Castrol Magnatec at 9.1 cSt, 2.7HTHS

He's better off running a 5w-30 around 3.0 HTHS like most of the off the shelf oils.

He's been running Penn Plat HM

I'm not sure who makes the thickest 5w20 oil but just FYI the PPHM is thinner for grade than regular PP. It doesn't follow the traditional "high mileage oils are thicker" belief.

Originally Posted by Garak
That belief is pretty much dead insofar as we're talking about ILSAC rated HM oils, it would seem.

touché

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Originally Posted by Garak
That belief is pretty much dead insofar as we're talking about ILSAC rated HM oils, it would seem.

touché

I've course, I raised a big stink when all the HM oils started to get the Starburst.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back