Air filter improperly installed at Walmart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So roughly 3000 miles ago, I took my Buick to the WM autocare center for an oil change. BITOG's biggest sin, I know, but I don't have jack stands and can't weasel under the car to do it myself so until then I gotta have someone else do it. I change the oil myself on all my 4x4's since I can easily get under them!

Anyway, the air filter was bad so I had them change it and went on my merry way. Well, the car needed some unrelated work done to it a few days ago and my mechanic mentioned the A/F wasn't installed properly and there was about a inch gap letting dirt in. My question is do I need to worry about this having caused any engine damage in this time? It doesn't get exposed to a lot of dust but I still worry. The gravel pit I drive to for work gets dusty during the day.

What peeves me most is you really can't trust anyone but yourself to do simple things like oil changes anymore. Sad and pathetic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by jongies3
I don't have jack stands and can't weasel under the car to do it myself so until then I gotta have someone else do it.

Spend the 30-$40 bucks for some rhino ramps. Quicker then messing with a jack and stands.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by CrAlt
I don't have jack stands and can't weasel under the car to do it myself so until then I gotta have someone else do it.

Spend the 30-$40 bucks for some rhino ramps. Quicker then messing with a jack and stands.
[Linked Image]

I actually have some ramps, but not sure the front bumper of my car will clear them without scraping but I could line them up and see.

You can make your own ramps--get some 2x12's or whatever, and stack them. Nail them together or whatever to make something you feel comfortable driving up and onto.

Whatever damage that was done is done. I'm sure some was. How much, seems doubtful that much was done unless if you live in a desert. Fix the filter and move on. What's the alternative? proactive engine replacement?

Harbor Freight has a decent metal set of ramps for a similar price that are nice. I can get my 06 Elantra and 03 Accord and 17 Cruze on them with no problem. Some lower sitting cars might not be able to use on.

I know, but I don't have jack stands and can't weasel under the car to do it myself so until then I gotta have someone else do it. I change the oil myself on all my 4x4's since I can easily get under them!

Anyway, the air filter was bad so I had them change it and went on my merry way.

What kinda Buick do you need jack stands to replace the air filter on?

Originally Posted by rollinpete
That sucks,
No one seems to care anymore and any quality service has disappeared.
frown.gif

Why should they just demand $15 an hour attitude change not required.

The air mass sensor downstream of the air filter will tell the engine computer if there is a build up of dirt, it would have to be pretty bad in the ambient area for this to occur.

FWIW, our 2009 Ford Flex, now at 206,000 km was built and shipped without an air filter inside the air box! I discovered this at 640km - 2 weeks after delivery while I was looking around the engine bay, getting familiar with the area and happened to rest my hand on the airbox, and it wiggled. I complained to Ford and they made a note in the file for the VIN and assured me that they would be covering any consequential damage, if it happened. Dealer drove to my house and installed new filter. No issues since.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I know, but I don't have jack stands and can't weasel under the car to do it myself so until then I gotta have someone else do it. I change the oil myself on all my 4x4's since I can easily get under them!

Anyway, the air filter was bad so I had them change it and went on my merry way.

What kinda Buick do you need jack stands to replace the air filter on?

crackmeup2.gif

Some time back i realized that just arriving at a Walmart parking lot was a negative experience, setting foot inside was bordering upon degrading, and spending money there was insulting. There is absolutely nothing at Walmart that is worth lessening my quality of life for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by CJWinWA
Some time back i realized that just arriving at a Walmart parking lot was a negative experience, setting foot inside was bordering upon degrading, and spending money there was insulting. There is absolutely nothing at Walmart that is worth lessening my quality of life for.

Couldn't agree more. They did lure me in a few years ago for their $48 battery, but I installed it myself and was reminded why I don't shop there.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Couldn't agree more. They did lure me in a few years ago for their $48 battery, but I installed it myself and was reminded why I don't shop there.

You did shop there at least once...because what you were looking for was cheap!

Let's be clear here. (I don't shop there-but I did). OK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by dishdude

You did shop there at least once...because what you were looking for was cheap!

Let's be clear here.

I freely admit that! Maybe in another 5 years or so they'll get me again.

I love the Havoline box of oil only at Walmart, but next time I'll just have it delivered to my house.

I shop there at least twice a month on average. The only problem I run into is some cashiers don't know how to scan coupons, they call over a fellow worker and all is right.
Help there seems to come and go, but sometimes I run into a familiar cashier and no problems.
Another thing I go no later than 9.00 am.

I see that all th the time. Usually with a new jiffy lube sticker on the windshield. They never get the rear pins in correctly but manage to occasionally get the snaps down.

Often they don't even get the snaps and the lid is just sitting there.

Originally Posted by rollinpete
I shop there at least twice a month on average. The only problem I run into is some cashiers don't know how to scan coupons, they call over a fellow worker and all is right.
Help there seems to come and go, but sometimes I run into a familiar cashier and no problems.

Around here the min wage is $12.50 going on $13 in July. Don't know it that means higher or lower quality employees. Anyway, when I hand over a tax exempt card, all the cashiers know how to enter it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back