Tesla Model 3 Owners Only - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Cujet, if you have solar panels it does not matter when you charge,,,,

With grid-tie solar in FL, that is currently true, with a few odd exceptions. Household use cannot be more than 1000kwh per month and the solar array can't be more than 10,000 watts and the solar array can't make more than 115% of household use. Otherwise fees and major insurance costs start to involve themselves. There is another gotcha too, FPL pays 10.8c per kwh produced. Yet charges roughly 22c/kwh including taxes.

However, not all locations are as good as sunny Florida. Some pay 6c per kwh and charge 20, while still limiting the solar array size.

Gm announced today that they will have "breakthrough tech" that will allow over the air updates in 2023.

Thats 11 years after Tesla did it.

Nobody's code or hardware is as good as teslas - not even close.

Sandy Munroe - who know more about is than anyone here - said the model 3 control system looking about like the f35's.

UD

Also just realized I can charge the Model 3 on my existing garage circuit (dedicated 20 amp, NEMA 5-20) at 7 miles per hour. That is plenty for now. Delivery is "within 2 weeks"! I'm also getting 10k miles (or 1 year) of free supercharging.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave

Gm announced today that they will have "breakthrough tech" that will allow over the air updates in 2023.

Sandy Munroe - who know more about is than anyone here - said the model 3 control system looking about like the f35's.

UD

GM has OTA updates right now on certain vehicles. The 2023 reference was for all GM vehicles getting the new electronics system which includes OTA Updates.

Originally Posted by E365
GM has OTA updates right now on certain vehicles. The 2023 reference was for all GM vehicles getting the new electronics system which includes OTA Updates.

Yup. Many FCA vehicles have had OTA updates for years as well.

Why would I want to let the manufacturer (or J. Random Hacker) remotely-brick my car?

Originally Posted by emg

Why would I want to let the manufacturer (or J. Random Hacker) remotely-brick my car?

This is the future. The Model 3 is a futuristic car.
Take it in or just get an overnight update?

One example: A lotta 3s were getting broken into by smashing the small window behind the rear seat window.
The engineers coded a "Sentry Mode" fix that started the cameras and put a big warning message on the computer screen triggered when someone got too close without the proper cell phone app or card.
Update. Done.

Originally Posted by E365

UD

Those updates are for Uconnect though, not the PCM and other related modules.

Last edited:

If the future is going to the garage to find the manufacturer has bricked my car with a remote update, you can keep it, thanks.

Originally Posted by emg

If the future is going to the garage to find the manufacturer has bricked my car with a remote update, you can keep it, thanks.

I always tell people the Model 3 is not for everyone. And that's fine; each to their own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by emg

People probably had similar feelings about fuel injection decades ago... just saying. Technology should be embraced, not resisted; it's coming and changing whether any one person likes it or not.

Any one who accesses the WWW, uses cellular service, etc. is open to privacy issues, malware, and so on.
Now those darn Teslas...

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Never said it was a Tesla exclusive issue.

They are the first introducing these issues to motor vehicles however.

The Tesla part was just a joke. All good.

My point was, if you access the internet or use a cell phone, you are at risk.
Why is a car different?

Again, all good. Each to their own.

Last edited:
It's different in that if I become truly dissatisfied with the operations of any of those devices, I can easily dispose of them or modify the programming so they are no longer an issue.

Car? Not so much.

I've test driven the Model 3 and was still left with the following thoughts:

1. I will never trust Autopilot...ever.

2. It would be an easier sell for me if they offered a range extender version - an ICE powering a generator to allow for long trips. This may not be very popular but I think it is an option that needs to be considered before this technology is truly accepted by the masses. Well that or 5min fully rechargeable batteries.

Originally Posted by Burt
Jeff

Why do you say that solar panels are the way to go for recharging? Most cars are gone during the day and recharge at night. I understand the feel good aspect of using solar, but isn't equally beneficial whether you use the electricity to power your home or sell power to the grid?

Yes, as 4WD posted. You bank power through the grid.
I send from 20 to 35 kWh to PGE daily and use much less. Generation is towards the lower end in the winter months.
I true up once a year; my cost will be $10 per month to be on the grid and zero for electricity.

Of course sunny Silicon Valley is a natural for solar power; other places not as much so.

The larger point is how to charge for free or close to it.
In my area, work and local cities subsidize charging as a way to encourage going green.
Even the evil PGE has plans for EVs.

You can see some people have trouble with the solutions; others see opportunity.
You have to be creative and open minded. Things are changing; they always are.

EVs are not for everyone.

I forgot that you're from California and they look at things differently there. If you don't see a tailpipe, then it doesn't pollute. If you import coal generated power from other states, that doesn't count. If you charge with power that is generated by hydrocarbons on the margin, but put power on the grid at other times, most of the rest of us look at it as two independent transactions, but in California that thinking is called being close-minded.

I look forward to the day that I can buy an electric car. It seems like a natural progression and that everything else has gone electronic. Gasoline vehicles are highly optimized Rube Goldberg devices that have had a good run. But I will wait to buy until a manufacturer shows that it can profitably make everyday cars on a sustainable basis. There is a certain Enron-esque feel to Tesla that large companies with lots of smart people are following a pied piper betting that battery cost will come down to make them economic. I'm still waiting. This was supposed to happen quite a few years ago and Tesla is struggling even with tax credits, bought a factory for a song and no dealership overhead.

One think tank said that Tesla made a fundamental mistake of making a luxury car with charging stations for cross country driving - a limited market and a gimmick. Instead they should have focused on 160 mile range for return to base commuting a more modestly price CUV. Of course the closes things to that are the Bolt and Leaf and they're not exactly flying off the lots.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
I've test driven the Model 3 and was still left with the following thoughts:

1. I will never trust Autopilot...ever.

2. It would be an easier sell for me if they offered a range extender version - an ICE powering a generator to allow for long trips. This may not be very popular but I think it is an option that needs to be considered before this technology is truly accepted by the masses. Well that or 5min fully rechargeable batteries.

Couldn't disagree more with both counts, but to each their own. As Jeff said, Tesla's aren't for everyone. At least not yet.

Jeff

Why do you say that solar panels are the way to go for recharging? Most cars are gone during the day and recharge at night. I understand the feel good aspect of using solar, but isn't equally beneficial whether you use the electricity to power your home or sell power to the grid?

Yes, as 4WD posted. You bank power through the grid.
I send from 20 to 35 kWh to PGE daily and use much less. Generation is towards the lower end in the winter months.
I true up once a year; my cost will be $10 per month to be on the grid and zero for electricity.

Of course sunny Silicon Valley is a natural for solar power; other places not as much so.

The larger point is how to charge for free or close to it.
In my area, work and local cities subsidize charging as a way to encourage going green.
Even the evil PGE has plans for EVs.

You can see some people have trouble with the solutions; others see opportunity.
You have to be creative and open minded. Things are changing; they always are.

EVs are not for everyone.

I forgot that you're from California and they look at things differently there. If you don't see a tailpipe, then it doesn't pollute. If you import coal generated power from other states, that doesn't count. If you charge with power that is generated by hydrocarbons on the margin, but put power on the grid at other times, most of the rest of us look at it as two independent transactions, but in California that thinking is called being close-minded.

I look forward to the day that I can buy an electric car. It seems like a natural progression and that everything else has gone electronic. Gasoline vehicles are highly optimized Rube Goldberg devices that have had a good run. But I will wait to buy until a manufacturer shows that it can profitably make everyday cars on a sustainable basis. There is a certain Enron-esque feel to Tesla that large companies with lots of smart people are following a pied piper betting that battery cost will come down to make them economic. I'm still waiting. This was supposed to happen quite a few years ago and Tesla is struggling even with tax credits, bought a factory for a song and no dealership overhead.

One think tank said that Tesla made a fundamental mistake of making a luxury car with charging stations for cross country driving - a limited market and a gimmick. Instead they should have focused on 160 mile range for return to base commuting a more modestly price CUV. Of course the closes things to that are the Bolt and Leaf and they're not exactly flying off the lots.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back