Headlight discoloration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, the tops of my Pilot's headlight lenses have developed this milky discoloration (clearcoat failure...?). I'm surprised this happened so soon. This car's garage kept and we don't see strong UV rays up here like the folks down south or in desert climates do. For comparison, my Accord's always been parked outside and it took nearly 12 yrs for the lenses to start oxidizing.

Seeing as the fading is concentrated to the top of the lenses, we'll see how long it takes to spread. Once I polish/wet sand, I'm gonna have to keep resealing the [censored] things to keep them from fading. Either this or buy new len$es.
[Linked Image]

Finding just lenses can be impossible sometimes. Sometimes you can find a broken headlight in a junkyard with a good lens, brake them off and replace them that way. I'd sand it down then spray them with 2k clear coat.... a lot of the headlight junkies on FB use that stuff to amazing results.

I would just touch them up from time to time with a 5000 grit pad.

there are a lot of kits to restore h eadlight lens, search + read reviews + choose one! too bad the glass lenses are gone as there was never an issue with them.

Just went through that with my 06 Accord. In the long run, easier just to replace the whole thing. Don't know about the Pilot, but on the Accord, had to drop the whole front bumper cover which was a lot more easier than I thought and glad my son was there to help. 4 hands definitely made it easier and quicker.

Originally Posted by benjy
there are a lot of kits to restore h eadlight lens, search + read reviews + choose one! too bad the glass lenses are gone as there was never an issue with them.

My thought exactly !

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by benjy
... too bad the glass lenses are gone as there was never an issue with them.
My thought exactly !
Yes, and they weren't so expensive, because there were only a few standardized sizes.
They were inferior to modern ones as far as aerodynamic drag, but I suspect the resulting higher fuel cost (other things being equal) was trivial, compared to the cost of replacing or regularly restoring elaborately shaped plastic headlights.

Last edited:
I've had good luck cleaning these up on other peoples' cars with the same compound I use to correct paint. Just know that once you correct it, you have to protect it. Even if you don't wax your car, wax the headlights to prevent this. The headlights on my 2015 Canyon get the same treatment as the paint, and there's not a bit of discoloration on them, even sitting outside 24/7.

U-Pol clear auto paint, found on amazon in spray can, will indeed put a UV-protecting clear coat on these after you clean them up.

A lot of headlamps I've seen have wear there - probably from car wash brushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back