Really need help!!Ngk Spark plug vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Toyota Camry 2.5L

I installed ngk iridium plug n troqued them down to 12.5 per factory spec but I didn't know every spark plug has different troque settings like ngk said if 14MM diameter then torque them down to 25-30 NM. Denso factory is 12.5 ft pound. If I troqued ngk to 18 ft pound with 3/8 troque wrench then won't my cylinder head get damaged?

The issue I'm having is vibration is more than my previous Denso plug. Can someone confirm what's the torque for factory Toyota Denso iridium plug.

Are you sure you got all the coils properly plugged back in? Maybe one of them died during the removal/reinstall.

Did you keep your old plugs? If so, try swapping them back and test drive one cylinder at a time, until you find out which one (if not all) causes the vibration.

It could be a screw up, or counterfeits, or defects (i.e. a crack), or wrong plug. Try to go back to see if you can eliminate as many variation as you can.

I just found out online research that for 2.5L (2AR-FE) engine need to be troque to 18 ft pound w/o anti-seize. If i use anti seize then it will reduce by 30% which will be 13 ft pound. Do I need to put anti sieze on ngk plug or no? I think my plug is loose because it at 13 ft pound instead of 18 ft pound. Tomorrow I will re-install Spark with 18 ft pound.

Am I doing it right please let me know.
W/o anti seize:
1) first hand tight
2) once is hand tight then use 3/8 torque wrench change settings to 18 ft pound and stop until it click.

Or should I do it w/ torque wrench:

Put socket on and spin until it stop then turn 1/4 and that it.

Which one should I follow?

Can someone confirm 2.5L (2AR-FE) is called for 18 ft pound?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
the issue is not really torque. Do they have the correct gapping? the denso ones are OEM.

Yes I checked the gap on all of them and I only found 1 plug was gapped at .43 inch instead of .44 and I left it alone and install them.

Don't make this more difficult than it needs to be.

Remove the plugs and clean off all of the goop. Then reinstall and torque to 18 ft-lbs (if that is the correct spec).

I wonder if the OP bought the plugs from the same Ebay seller he bought that Mercedes headlamp part that the Mercedes dealership has been dragging its feet on getting programmed.

OK Ill give up the inside scoop now I'm retired from the business.

A Tune up is tricky. The spark wants to go anywhere but across the gap in the cylinder.

How clean were you?

Always insure you install with clean gloves on and sparkling clean external insulator ceramic.
OTW the spark will want to track to GND ( plug nut) along the dirt grime and sweat on the insulator.

I clean them with alcohol just before they go in.

Your spark plug socket retainer boot has to be clean too. Often neglected.

I would assume this has COP. How were the coil sticks? Any crazing or cracking?

Back to the torque issue.

NO anti-seize required or wanted. No torque wrench required.

On a cold engine just tighten until you feel the washer crush (1st time install)
Then wait for the torque to ramp up - a tad - then STOP. The washer will do the job.

If reinstall, I would usually get new plugs or gaskets (if available). I never re-install used plugs on a thin pentroof 4V head with old crush washers.

I'm a nippon denso OE fan for toyota and Subaru, but NGK Ir are good IF original OEM part number.

Hope you get it sorted out.

If you have two coil pack and wires I'll have more t say about HT leads and plugs for NEG spark initiation

NGK and Denso are interchangeable. NGK uses a zinc plating on the threads, so no anti-seize is to be used. They come from the factory gapped. There is no gapping a Iridium plug.

What makes you think its a loose or something else rattling?
Did you compare lengths?
Are you positive its the right one at NGK site?
Are you sure the coils are connected properly, and its not arcing?

18 vs 12 won't break it. If you think its loose try one tighter.

A lot of great advice given, but I'm still very unclear about what the actual problem is!

1. What are you saying is rattling?

2. If you torqued the spark plug to 13 ft-lbs, it is not loose. It may not meet the spec to last a decade in the engine, but it's not loose, and especially not loose enough to rattle.

3. Which torque wrench are you using and what is its range? I use 20-90% of a torque wrenches range. In this case, a 0-50 would be ideal.

If unsure, I would try torquing something low, like your strut tops. I believe those are usually around 12 ft-lbs. Tighten them by hand, which will easily get your 12 ft-lbs, and then use a torque wrench. If you get a lot of movement before it clicks, your torque wrench is not accurate at low torque values and should be used for things like spark plugs.

My spark plug was loose that lead a vibration( had 13 ft pound) . 2 days ago I re-tightening them to 18ft pound and now it better than before what it was. Over this weekend I'm going to re-tightening them to 14 ft pound because I can feel a little vibration on idle not a lot. I don't remember how I felt with Denso spark plug as far I can recalled I didn't have no vibration at idle. But again I couldn't remember.

I'm using Craftsman 3/8" Drive Digi-Click Torque Wrench.

The way I'm doing this is.

First: hand tight until stop
2nd: put a 3/8 ratchet and see if is turn (if no turn then stop)
3rd: put a torque wrench to whatever settings and spin until it click and that's when I stop.

I might make an video this weekend and posted here to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Spec factory is 13-14 ft pound I wonder if this is with anti-seize?

W/o anti seize I can torque them to 18 ft pound.

Someone on Toyota forum told me to use anti seize for less prone to seizing with it than without. Then torque them to 12-12.5 ft pound.

Now I'm just getting more confuse.

Your wrenching seems correct - as long as you torque it S-L-O-W-L-Y. So, NOT an issue The more you fiddle with it the worse it will get at this stage.
Again.
#1 Cleanliness.Read my post above.

#2 disturbed leads can arc. Are you sure gap was OK? Some guys close up a gap just dropping the plugs into the hole - but missing it.

#3 Dont listen to inexperienced laypersons on forums. Did you apply too much antiseize and get it on the insulator? I would never use the stuff.

Good luck - Ken

Last edited:
I have always tightened by hand, then just a little bit past snug. Weird how no calibration used, and it never failed. Just like an oil filter. May not want to do that with lug nuts holding on to your wheels. But people all over the world, every day, are doing that, and they know it's wrong. I know it's wrong. I know I should use correct torque spec with a calibrated torque wrench.

Originally Posted by Rohan
Spec factory is 13-14 ft pound I wonder if this is with anti-seize?

W/o anti seize I can torque them to 18 ft pound.

Someone on Toyota forum told me to use anti seize for less prone to seizing with it than without. Then torque them to 12-12.5 ft pound.

Now I'm just getting more confuse.

Stop!

Set the torque wrench on the work bench, and step back away from it.

Take a deep breath...take another...and one more.

Now, if you have identified a problem with how the vehicle is operating, you can certainly try to fix that problem, but it sounds like you are going about it all wrong from what I am reading.

First, what is the problem you want to resolve?
It sounds like the engine has developed a rough idle since you replaced the spark plugs. If that is the case, there are some details missing:
- why did you replace the spark plugs in the first place?

- if the engine was not idling rough before the spark plug change but it is now, any changes you made are possible culprits. Have you replaced or adjusted any other parts on the engine besides the plugs? Air filter? PCV valve?
What about gasoline, are you running the same gasoline or have you filled up a few times since changing the plugs?

- a rough idle could be due to an intermittent miss. Have you checked the computer for any stored DTCs which might provide more information on what's going on? If so, which codes did you find?

It is a good thing to pay attention to the details of any maintenance task, e.g. the torque specs for the part being installed. However, your continued focus and subsequent changes to the spark plugs' torque in the cylinder heads (not to mention whether or not to use anti-seize) is a waste of time and effort right now. Identify the problem you want to fix; figure out how to diagnose that problem's most likely causes, and then start at the top of the list with each case, ruling it out as you go. Eventually you will be left the true cause, and then you will know how best to proceed to resolve it.

Keeping the amount of changes to a minimum while diagnosing the problem is key here. Every time you go back and pull the coils off to tighten/loosen/tighten the plugs, you are adding more uncertainty to the equation and making it harder to ID the true culprit.

Honestly, at this point, it might be better to start over from scratch - reinstall the plugs you pulled out the first time, and see if the rough idle disappears. I suspect that it won't though, and if it does not, you can rule out the spark plugs as the culprit altogether I think. Look elsewhere like air intake system, CCV system, exhaust (and intake) leaks, etc.

Do you have a tuner or other such device that can connect to the car and output PIDs so you can see what's going on in real time? That would be the quickest way to identify the list of probable suspects I believe, but not everyone has the hardware to do that, so some extra tool investment may be in order....

You have not provided enough details yet for anyone to be able to realistically help you troubleshoot this problem. As such, the best you can hope for is wild guesses and blind luck. That's a tough way to go about fixing a car; I would urge switching to a more efficient approach to the issue.

Nuke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back