Trans fluid change at 30K??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am approaching 30K on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition and was wondering if its wise to replace ATF fluid when I do my 30K maintenance?

Thank you
Michael in NJ

I also have an Elantra. Since this tranny doesn't have a dipstick, the D&F process is a little annoying. The 6-speed A/T's seem to be pretty reliable and SP-IV M is a full syn ATF. The manual says 60k mile intervals for severe driving; I might change mine around 40-50k. Check out the Elantra forums, as there are some running threads about this.

Do at least D/F to remove some fine metal shavings along with drained ATF.

I chose to do a complete ATF replacement which I did myself on both cars and did it early for that very purpose - to remove all abrasive material (and all old ATF). Forte was done at 30K mi and Sportage at 20K mi, doing D/F every 30K mi from there on.

Wait until 60k miles. Any grime is going to get captured by the filter. After all that's why the unit has a filter. Seriously, contrary to popular belief manufacturing has advanced since the 1980's.

Last edited:
Yep... did it on my GFs 2018 Elantra at 20,000 miles ... a drain and fill using 4 quarts of Valvoline Max Life ATF ... the fill cap is down under the air intake box and is sorta difficult to remove... as it has a bracket over the top of it... I trimmed a little of the plastic off the edge of the cap for easier access next time. I started at the same mileage on her previous Accent... and then every 20 to 30,000 thereafter. All transmissions should have a drain bolt AND a dip stick ! I just captured all that drained out in a pan and measured it in an empty 5 qt oil container and put the same amount back in ... Oh, go very slow in refilling... or it will burp and make a mess.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Wait until 60k miles. Any grime is going to get captured by the filter. After all that's why the unit has a filter. Seriously, contrary to popular belief manufacturing has advanced since the 1980's.

Not sure about the Elantra's transmission, but my Kia Optima has no filter. It does have a "rock catcher" screen which is not servicable. I put an inline Magnafine filter in the cooler lines with good results.

To the OP: I'd suggest a 30K D&F (which is the OEM method) be part of your maintenance plan. Simple, not very expensive and well worth it IMHO.

I would especially because there is no serviceable filter. I did that with my Santa Fe. I'd even think about putting an inline filter on, I used Magenfine on my Santa Fe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1WildPig
Yep... did it on my GFs 2018 Elantra at 20,000 miles ... a drain and fill using 4 quarts of Valvoline Max Life ATF ... the fill cap is down under the air intake box and is sorta difficult to remove... as it has a bracket over the top of it... I trimmed a little of the plastic off the edge of the cap for easier access next time. I started at the same mileage on her previous Accent... and then every 20 to 30,000 thereafter. All transmissions should have a drain bolt AND a dip stick ! I just captured all that drained out in a pan and measured it in an empty 5 qt oil container and put the same amount back in ... Oh, go very slow in refilling... or it will burp and make a mess.

I've seen that bracket and thought about removing it, but I used the level check plug to fill instead because I didn't feel comfortable removing it or drilling and trimming the the fill bolt to get it out. I think that bracket is the gear position sensor, but didn't want to go removing it before finding out for sure.

Also, the Hyundai SP-IV is a good, synthetic fluid. The only problem with it is that it can be expensive to get. Kia's SP-IV can sometimes be purchased cheaper, if you want to stay with an OEM fluid. That said, others have run mult-vehicle fluids with good results. Amsoil Fuel Efficent ATF, BG, Valvoline Maxlife, M1 and Schaeffer's (they recommend using their All Trans Supreme 204SAT on the technical data sheet- THIS IS INCORRECT. If you want to use Schaeffer's, use their 205A DexVI/Mercon LV fluid) all have had good results and can be had at similarly priced or cheaper than OEM.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd do it.

+1.

I would definitely do it. Compared to the price of a new transmission, the fluid is cheap. Besides, when doing a drain and fill you're never going to get all the old fluid out. Refreshing the remaining fluid with new fluid will help keep the internals of your tranny nice and clean. Another reason to do it is that your fluid could turn brown sometime between 30K and 60K. Why let that happen?

I did my 2010 Accord transmission fluid as follows. You were supposed to drop and add 3 qts 3 times in a row at 60k miles. I did 3 qts once every 20k. At the 60k mile point there would have been 3 qts with 60k, 3 qts with 40 and 3 with 20, so much better shape overall than the recommended procedure. I even roto zipped a slot in the belly pan to allow easy access to the drain plug lol

Originally Posted by flinter
Hi,

I am approaching 30K on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition and was wondering if its wise to replace ATF fluid when I do my 30K maintenance?

Thank you
Michael in NJ

What does your owners manual say? You're a 2017, so you should still be under warranty right??

It's important to follow the maintenance schedule while the cars still under warranty. If you deviate from it and something happens to go wrong with your transmission, you've given the dealership a reason to deny your warranty claim for the repairs. They know what trans fluid should look like with X amount of miles on it. And put all your receipts in a shoe box or scan them in case you have to prove you adhered to the maintenance schedule.

The other reason to follow the mfgs maintenance schedule is the design engineers spent a lot of time and money coming up with the optimal fluid change intervals. You're not going to improve upon that and trying to save a little bit of money by stretching out the change interval is foolish when it comes to the transmission.

Fwiw, the manual on my Sedona calls for trans fluid replacement every 16 months. I hate the fact that I have to replace it every 16 months but you know what I hate more?... having to replace/repair a transmission. So I do it at home to save money and use Valvoline MaxLife multi vehicle. The product information sheet says it's a direct replacement for Hyundai/Kia SP-IV. I also put a bottle of Lubegard's trans additive because my trans has 160k miles on it.

So far, so good. Even with 160k miles on it, it runs like a dream. No leaks, no funny sounds, no hard shifts, no slipping - knock on wood. ...

(sorry if all this is redundant for ya. I thought it was worth mentioning just in case)
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Just an FYI, the black plug on the valve body cover at the front of the case is NOT the fill plug on this transmission. The actual fill plug is above the passenger inner CV joint, on the case, facing upwards towards the top of the engine bay.

Is it wise. Yes. When to change depends on each person. I am at 18k miles on my 2017 Elantra SE. At this rate will be at 60k in 5 years. I plan to have dealership do it at 60k. After warranty expires I am not sure I want to keep this car. A lot can happen in 8 years. I think if I were keeping this car and out of warranty sooner 30k may be better.

I changed the fluid in my 4L60E every 30-40K since new. Has 289K on it and only had to replace the seperator plate at 165K....still functions fine.

I would do it all over again, IMO, with regards to transmissions, nothing wrong with staying well ahead of the game.

Originally Posted by i6pwr
I changed the fluid in my 4L60E every 30-40K since new. Has 289K on it and only had to replace the seperator plate at 165K....still functions fine.

I would do it all over again, IMO, with regards to transmissions, nothing wrong with staying well ahead of the game.

289k... nice. I can think of a lot better (-and safer) ways to save a buck, than trying to stretch out the service interval on trans fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back