0w30 Showdown of European Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
INHALTSVERZEICHNIS on the web page means "Contents" in non-German-speak, BTW.

Interesting text. A lot did get lost in translation. It's hard to tell if they are simply not getting some things right, or the translator skewed the words a little. Not bad overall.
Surprised just how low the SA is in BMW TwinPower. All listed are decent oils to use.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
All listed are decent oils to use.

Within the ratings oil is oil.

Is there a contradiction in the first three charts?

1. The Helix is the highest in the viscosity graphs (40 and 100 deg C). Summary is "➥ In short: The higher the result values (mm²/s), the more constant the viscosity remains at high temperatures and thus allows longer constant lubrication despite increasing temperature changes."

2. The Helix has the lowest viscosity index. However, the summary is, "➥ In short: The higher the viscosity index of the engine oil, the lower the change in viscosity at high temperatures."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aba4430
Is there a contradiction in the first three charts?

1. The Helix is the highest in the viscosity graphs (40 and 100 deg C). Summary is "➥ In short: The higher the result values (mm²/s), the more constant the viscosity remains at high temperatures and thus allows longer constant lubrication despite increasing temperature changes."

2. The Helix has the lowest viscosity index. However, the summary is, "➥ In short: The higher the viscosity index of the engine oil, the lower the change in viscosity at high temperatures."

My understanding is that VI has more to do with decreasing viscosity changes during low temperatures as opposed to high temperatures.

[/quote]My understanding is that VI has more to do with decreasing viscosity changes during low temperatures as opposed to high temperatures.
[/quote]
Explain your understanding about the Viscosity modifiers.

I'm thinking that the use of viscosity modifiers in some of the sample oils is negligible if used at all. The Ravenol for instance is a PAO oil with a few drops of ester so inherently covers a wide viscosity range. I imagine a few more of the samples have the same or similar make-ups negating the use VI.

Originally Posted by RamFan
My understanding is that VI has more to do with decreasing viscosity changes during low temperatures as opposed to high temperatures.
VII chemicals thicken a base-oil when hot. Hardly any effect at all when cold. For example, if you formulate a 0w30, you need to use thin base oils to get the "0w" rating, then you need to add VII to get the "30" rating. .... If you DIDN'T add any VII, then you might get something like a lighter-side "20" weight oil (kv100) hot.

INHALTSVERZEICHNIS on the web page means "Contents" in non-German-speak, BTW.

Interesting text. A lot did get lost in translation. It's hard to tell if they are simply not getting some things right, or the translator skewed the words a little..

Sometimes its hard to translate words/phrases between languages....because often either one language or another doesnt use the same words for the same thing...

For an example...if german is expressing that he or she was lucky....it sounds like (in slang) "ich habe kartofel gehabt".....wich translates into my language as " I had a potato (with that thing/whatever)"
smile.gif

Originally Posted by RamFan
VII chemicals thicken a base-oil when hot. Hardly any effect at all when cold. For example, if you formulate a 0w30, you need to use thin base oils to get the "0w" rating, then you need to add VII to get the "30" rating. .... If you DIDN'T add any VII, then you might get something like a lighter-side "20" weight oil (kv100) hot.

My comment wasn't geared towards VII but the actual VI. I don't think I communicated that clearly in my original post. Say you have two 0w30 oils, one with a VI of 180 and one with a VI of 205. At operating temperature they will both have the viscosity of an Xw30. However the oil with the VI of 205 should maintain a viscosity that's closer to its operating viscosity in colder temps as compared to the oil that has a VI of 180, in theory at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back