Redlines equivalent to RP HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long long story short, I know just enough about oil to come to BITOG to ask questions. Does Redline Oils have a line of oil that would be the equivalent to Royal Purples HPS line. I know it probably has mostly to do with additives but I don't know how to read the information about the oils.

I have used Redline in the past and would like to continue but my engine builder had me set up initially with RP HPS because he "liked the additives." If there was a Redline product that was similar, I'd switch to that.

Please and thank you. Any info will be appreciated.

405dressed_01b.jpg

Redline high performance oils are prolly better than any RP oils, use with confidence for sure

I would use the Redline over RP. Redline has a good dose of molybdenum and they use ester base stocks. RP is known to shear easily.

What NOT to use in Redline ever, Professional-Series or Racing oil. Just two things that shouldn't be in your passenger car, Professional-Series is nothing special and racing oils are for race vehicles eventhough they have increased CA lrvrls over time to make them more user friendly. Just avoid those two.

What to use, High Performance line. I say that because they have had some bottle drama from time to time and sometimes Professional-Series and High Performance had the same bottle, in fact if you are somewhere that has old stock it would be either in a white bottle. Just make sure it if High Performance.

If your mechanic likes RP HPS additive package, he would like Redline's even more. The only thing that HPS has in higher concentration is mag, but redline has more calcium, so unless it is a di turbo there is literally no downside from HPS to Redline unless you think 2002 level zinc will harm your cats, which really doesn't happen. Redline has more aw/ep additives like zinc and moly and the base oil doesn't get any better then group 4/5, good for cold starts and high heat.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
OP said HPS.
This has Synerlec.
White Bottle RL > Purple Bottle HPS RP.

How would you know that, technically? I mean a serious question, no one knows the exact base oil composition, and even if you did how would you compare them? From what little we do know they are completely different oils.

Plus neither one has any approvals or certifications so what basis do you use to compare the two?

Originally Posted by kschachn
OP said HPS.
This has Synerlec.
White Bottle RL > Purple Bottle HPS RP.

How would you know that, technically? I mean a serious question, no one knows the exact base oil composition, and even if you did how would you compare them? From what little we do know they are completely different oils.

Plus neither one has any approvals or certifications so what basis do you use to compare the two?

Technically, I would not know, so you are correct on that, Sir.

I would just say that in my humble opinion,
and in looking at the engine in OP's picture,
my personal preference would be Red Line.

I have used RP HPS 5W20 and found it to be a fine oil,
albeit with no data. Also, sidenote, I am currently using RP gear oil in my rear axle.

Regarding RL, I have used everything from 0W20 to 20W50,
in various applications, going back 35 years, and am a fanboy.

smile.gif

Originally Posted by burla
What NOT to use in Redline ever, Professional-Series or Racing oil.

This. I'd suggest HPS is a fine lube, but Red Line's mainstream line is already competing with HPS, not Royal Purple's API line, in the first place. In Red Line's product line, the ordinary white bottle would be the most suitable choice. There's no need to switch.

I would just say that in my humble opinion,
and in looking at the engine in OP's picture,
my personal preference would be Red Line.

I would completely agree with that, at least their website is a bit more technical and less bro truck than the other.

You should call Redline. Tell them about your engine, and ask if they have something formulated. Then discuss the recommendation with your engine builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back