Our Camry is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer my daughter drove our 2001 Camry 50 miles with a stuck thermostat. with poor judgement and bad advice, I pulled the head, had it planed, and re-assembled. yes, it was still blowing exhaust into the cooling system. I finally found some time and installed a reman engine in the car over the last week. It was almost easier to pull the engine than it was to pull the cylinder head. anyway, the car lives! only two problems: one of the core plugs, aka freeze plugs; was leaking. easy to fix. and now the car has a vibration/buzzing noise in either the engine or first half of the transmission. not sure what the cause is. did the remanufacturer fail to balance the rotating assembly? is there something askew with the balance shafts?? The remanufacturer used top quality parts: aisin/Toyota water pump and oil pump, OEM timing belt. not sure on the pistons, bearings, etc.

Originally Posted by CT8
What is the Camry worth?

It cost me less than $2k for the engine. The car belonged to mom originally. I don't mind spending more than it is "worth". the rest of the car is in great shape with no rust. what other options are available for $2k?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Sounds like you are going to have to seperate the engine & transmission . Manual or automatic ?

automatic. I could probably pull the engine with my eyes closed at this point.

Originally Posted by CT8
What is the Camry worth?

About $500 scrap value. Not worth the time or effort to rebuild the engine, then pull the engine and put a reman engine in. Then have a wierd vibration that requires the engine to come out AGAIN. Should have sold the Camry and moved on to a newer used car. It almost never makes sense to put a new engine into a 18 year old car.

I have a 2010 Acura TSX that's reliable as all get out and could be purchased used for $2500 if I was selling it.

I would be checking the motor and transmission mounts. First try loosening the mount bolts, then drive the car forward 3-4 feet, then stop and go in reverse the same distance. This might shift the mounts back to their "preferred" resting position.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Not worth the time or effort to rebuild the engine, then pull the engine and put a reman engine in. Then have a wierd vibration that requires the engine to come out AGAIN. Should have sold the Camry and moved on to a newer used car. It almost never makes sense to put a new engine into a 18 year old car.

Correct, but OP clearly stated that the vehicle had sentimental value because it belonged to his mother.

Here is the rare instance where it does make sense.
It is no longer a financial decision.

I have a 2010 Acura TSX that's reliable as all get out and could be purchased used for $2500 if I was selling it.

That seems very low. I just did a check on craigslist and most of the 2010 TSX's were selling for between $6-$9K. Is your market really that much different?

Originally Posted by KGMtech
I would be checking the motor and transmission mounts. First try loosening the mount bolts, then drive the car forward 3-4 feet, then stop and go in reverse the same distance. This might shift the mounts back to their "preferred" resting position.

good suggestion. will do. I do actually recall that the rear mount was not in the same location, and someone else handled the trans mount. as far as was it "worth it" to fix the car? - I suggested to my wife multiple times that we scrap it. nope. no dice. sigh.

The motor mounts are a good idea and also look underneath to see if, say, an exhaust flexpipe stiffened up (with rust) while the car was sitting. Or an exhaust hanger is overextended, rubbing, etc. Take the thing for a spirited drive to redline, may need cobwebs blown out.

Originally Posted by The Critic

That seems very low. I just did a check on craigslist and most of the 2010 TSX's were selling for between $6-$9K. Is your market really that much different?

My TSX has 250k miles, the kids drew pictures in the paint with a rock. It's definitely worth less than an average 2010 TSX. That being said, I would drive it to Alaska tomorrow. Very reliable Honda car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back