Ready for the Indy 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is "carb" day, last practice before the Indy 500.

Pit Stop contest and one of my highlights of May in Indy, the Freedom 100 for the Indy Lights.

Who do you think will win this year?
I am pulling for Marco, Newgarden and Pagenaud.

SJH2019000730.JPG

SJH2019000912.jpg

SJH2019000888.jpg

Last edited:
We're all set up 1/2 mile west of Gate 7! I've got some angst against Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti (Mikey) because of their guaranteed spots stance, so that said, I'm pulling for Rahal or Hildebrand since they've been outwardly vocal against it. Also Kanaan since he's our family favorite. Realistically, it'll take some weird pit stop strategery for any of them to be at the top of the leader board at the end.

What controversies are happening this time around? I'm mostly curious about any engine differences and or chassis aero tweaks that might make it un-even.

I am generally a Penske fan since Al Jr moved over there years ago, but these days I root for Ed Carpenter in the 500. Colton Herta is also sparking my interest so I'd add him this year. Enjoy the race! We'll be watching from home this year, but can't wait to take my boys to their first.

Last edited:
I think we are going to get rained on. Which might still be better than last year, I started sweating profusely about 3 minutes after we parked and I didn't stop sweating for 6 weeks after it was over. It was hot last year. I mean HOT.

Don't really care who wins, I go up with a few of my high school friends I've known for decades and one of the guys is really into it and I just ask him who we want to win, he tells me and that's who I root for. If you've never been to one of the races, put it on your bucket list. Its a neat place to be. This will be my fifth race.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a warm but very cloudy day and no rain and a full race.

We are going to get rain.....

Never cared much for any ovals, even this one with it's rich traditions/history.

But I did get to see these cars, back in their turbo V-8 C.A.R.T. days configurations/specs fly around a makeshift street road course at the Meadowlands in northern N.J. MANY moons ago now.

They were quite impressive blasting out of tight hairpin turns, and taking flight on the complex's overpasses.
I remember the distinct, and loud blow off valve 'chirp' they made on decel.

I'm waiting for the day when they go to electric motors. Pit stop for batteries instead of gas. No more roar of the engines.

Originally Posted by Burt
I'm waiting for the day when they go to electric motors. Pit stop for batteries instead of gas. No more roar of the engines.

You should be checking out the Formula E series.

The Indianapolis Star has some great archival photos of the Snakepit back in the 70s and 80s. Not going to link anything cos they're probably NSFBITOG. But if you Google something like indystar snakepit archives you'll find em. Great look at how race fans and people in general have changed in the last forty years.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
That's still a thing?

That was roughly my stance on it until my wife surprised me with tickets to the 100th anniversary race a few years ago. I wasn't thrilled. It was like a religious experience though. Probably can't be explained; just need to experience the event and see how the whole city gets up for it.

We returned two years later with our kids for the 100th running. I'd likely be headed there again this year if the forecast was even half decent. I'd love to go with a group of friends, but we are all drag racers and there are always good events running on long holiday weekends.

Memorial Day Sunday is blocked out for me EVERY year- Monaco, Indy and Charlotte- flag to flag on my primary HTS.
The only thing better was a few years back when my son and I watched Monte Carlo on TV, drove to Indy and watched the 500, and then came home and watched the Coca-Cola 600...
Several years ago my son was on a world champion robotics team. His coach also installed in-car cameras for racing series, and he got the whole team in to the pits on Carb Day. Great pictures and memories.

I went to the Buddy Rice 2004 race. It rained twice, 7.5 hour race in the bleachers in the short chute. I will never go again in the normal stands.

Was lucky enough to then do business with an HP executive in 2009-2010 who got me into their suite for both CARB days...........it's the only way I'll ever attend that race again. Sorry, the stands, the heat, the squish? Hard pass.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by Burt

You should be checking out the Formula E series.

"Gentlemen, start your motors!" (Clicking sounds, then silence)

I love Indy, pulling for any American, especially Marco or Newgarden, some day I hope to go there to see the race in person, the past a couple of years the driving talent has really picked up in the series and decent size fields at each race.
TOTO.

Are the engines both about the same torque and horsepower this year? Any advantage?
What's the story on the aero kits these days? Differences?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Are the engines both about the same torque and horsepower this year? Any advantage?
What's the story on the aero kits these days? Differences?

The aero kit is spec from IndyCar.

I am pulling for Charlie Kimball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back