Who is lying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Perhaps you should put a few hundred miles on it then drain and test the oil to see if there is accelerated wear on this engine.

Knew this would come up. "Yeah, Buddy- run it a very short while, dump the precious oil, and oh yeah - HAVE IT TESTED!"

Really?

Shrug your shoulders and cross your fingers. It's all you can do besides keep a close eye on that oil level yourself. Even if it's an oil burner it can still last along time with continual weekly checking.
The big question is how long and how low that oil was when it was driven previously. That's the big question and something you'll probably never know. Good luck🤞ðŸ»

The store found an old sticker and low oil. What incentive do they have to lie or interest to lie to you, none.

Your relative may have changed the oil as stated. A 2001 burning/leaking that much oil is not unheard of and actually extremely plausible.

I don't think anyone is lying.

The main issue is you picked up a vehicle a few months ago and did not take the time to actually pull the dipstick and check it. If the red oil light was not on the vehicle had enough pressure and oil to run.

Moving forward check the oil often and see if its an oil burner. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by JLTD
Neither is lying, both are lying, or one is lying. Can't tell...just drive the vehicle and choose a decent OCI.

There are three sides to every story: yours, mine and the truth!
lol.gif

Ain't that the truth. I'd be more concerned about where the oil is going, and less focused who's mistaken/lying about when the oil was last changed. You might have an oil burner on your hands, focus on that.

Check the other fluids AND INSPECT THE REST OF THE VEHICLE while you're at it.

filters...brakes...hoses....belts...vacuum lines....charging system check....battery age and condition....attachment of weatherstrips....bulbs....wiper blades and washer action....exhaust system...fuel line integrity....malignancy (rust)....front end hardware (ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack)...accessory operation (windows...vent fan...ash tray...seat adjustment travel....seat belt extension/retraction).... odometer reset?.....shocks/struts action/leaking.....cleanliness of radiator/condenser...embarrassing stains on the seats...

Does your spare have air? Is the jack etc. complete?

Tires? How are the tires?

Originally Posted by wjeszy
I got a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder from one of my relatives.

He told me the last time he changed the engine oil was 2018 November.

However: I checked the oil level now a few months later since I am driving the car and I barely could see any oil on the stick.

I bought the car to a repair store and asked them to change the oil. (they would not let me stay in the repair garage) He told me that was barely any oil came out of the car.

He also said he saw some sticker that says that the last time they changed the oil was 2014 is that true they put the dates somewhere on the car?

Is that possible that the car runs for years with a tiny bit of oil?

Who is lying?

-- It is possible that the oil was changed in 2018 by your relative, and the 2014 oil service sticker was accidentally left there.

-- Yes most vehicles will run fine with a slightly low oil level as long as they are not run hard or kept this way for long periods (years). I ran my Tacoma for 5000 miles & 7 months with the oil level right at the low mark and it did just fine. (The capacity is 5.5 quarts plus it doesn't burn oil and I check the level regularly.)

-- Despite what the technician said, I don't believe that "barely any oil" came out of a Pathfinder engine that was running fine and still registered *some* oil on the dipstick. Should have been at least 2-3 quarts drained. Maybe that's why customers are not allowed in the service bay, so they can tell you whatever they want and you have no grounds to argue.

I would guess that the service tech was lying. But you probably know your relative better than the technician
lol.gif

You could pull the valve cover and oil pan and check for sludge. If it looks like chocolate pudding look for another car...

I really doubt that 2014 sticker can be there for so many years.

What happened to 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018? Unless your cousin changes the oil himself....

Also, from November 2018 until now, it's only been 6-7 months. If there's barely any oil left, either there's a major leak (which is insane) or minor leak + long time no oil change.

Originally Posted by madRiver
The store found an old sticker and low oil. What incentive do they have to lie or interest to lie to you, none.

Exactly what I was thinking. Proper amount of oil or barely any oil coming out means nothing to this shop, they're just reporting what they saw. How does it benefit them if "barely any oil" came out ? It doesn't, not in any way. Finding a oil-change sticker from 2014 is again just what they encountered. Changes nothing.

Then again, with both of these, maybe they're giving the OP a heads-up about the condition of the engine.

wjeszy: Did they offer to rebuild the engine because of these "issues" ? You didn't mention it but maybe it came up....

Originally Posted by kfy81
Perhaps you should put a few hundred miles on it then drain and test the oil to see if there is accelerated wear on this engine.

Knew this would come up. "Yeah, Buddy- run it a very short while, dump the precious oil, and oh yeah - HAVE IT TESTED!"

Really?

If you can`t see the value of my suggestion then that says a lot more about you than I. My only purpose here is to share what I`v learned in 62 years of experience, whats yours?

wjeszy He told me the last time he changed the engine oil was 2018 November. However: I checked the oil level now a few months later since I am driving the car and I barely could see any oil on the stick. ?[/quote said:
b

So you drive the car a few months then decide to, check the oil, find it low and looking for someone to blame? Look in a mirror.

Go back into the hut and get the family tatamis. Lay them out and park on top. Leave engine running overnight. In the morning, look for oil on tatamis.

If you can`t see the value of my suggestion then that says a lot more about you than I. My only purpose here is to share what I`v learned in 62 years of experience, whats yours?

Exactly, Dinoburner - I'm probably an ignorant millennial that doesn't even know what ppm means.

I DO "see the value" in your suggestion... ...if we were debating the actions of a fleet manager. To think the OP is even remotely interested in an UOA - much less "establishing a trend" - is laughable.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Go back into the hut and get the family tatamis. Lay them out and park on top. Leave engine running overnight. In the morning, look for oil on tatamis.

Best addition to any thread! That's hilarious - albeit a bit [insert your favorite -ist]

Best addition to any thread! That's hilarious - albeit a bit [insert your favorite -ist]

Just as absurd as the entire thread asking for random strangers to determine who is lying. Or the absurd replies, like oil analysis.

Oil doesn't evaporate. It burns or leaks. Tracer dye. See where oil is going. Fix it.

Or move off the island.

Is political correctness defined by social justice warriors with Bernie's image tattooed on their lower back?

Has this thread degraded to where Original Post writer is no longer reading and replying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back