How can you prevent radiator/AC condenser fill up with bugs and rock chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just went for a car wash today after a long road trip. Noticed that some part of the front radiator is filled with bugs and it's almost impossible to remove. How can you prevent it from happening in the first place? I know there's something like a "rad guard" out there on the market but since my vehicle is relatively new they haven't made one for it yet.

Note: vehicle is a 16 Mazda 3

Thanks for any helps
smile.gif

Sometime this summer I plan to take the bumper cover off my car and clean the condenser. I watched an Eric the car guy video and it showed cleaning the condenser yielded lower pressures in the AC system.

Some vehicles have much larger openings in the grill than others, the larger ones being ridiculously large.

In previous cars, I installed window screening between grill and radiator. In this one I haven't, but did put plastic gutter screening (from Lowe's) in the grill. It's cheap, durable, doesn't rattle or mar surfaces as hardware cloth would, and is not horribly conspicuous. The openings are about a quarter of an inch squares. That should at least keep birds, large insects, and big rocks out of the radiator, condenser, and the other expensive heat exchanger.

Last edited:
In the old days people power wash their window AC with caustic soda solution, or other similar stuff.

If you have enough time you can take off the front bumper / support / radiator fan, and power wash it, scrub it with a wire brush, etc.

Or just leave it alone.

Originally Posted by CR94
In previous cars, I installed window screening between grill and radiator.

Yes, and that's still effective when someone wants to do so. I liked the days when there were readily available screen inserts and/or bras for cars to help out.

Aftermarket grill inserts should be available for your car and work well, but a bit pricey. A roll of window mesh screen works well too and is cheap, just replace when it's full of bugs.
I have grill inserts on the Impala and the Honda, and window mesh behind the grill of the Buick.

my brother cut out inserts from silver gutter mesh for his Volt, and attached with zip ties. better part of 2 years, still holding up just fine.

Be careful with the powerwash on the rad fins. A coworker blew the foil like fins out of his rad that way. I don't know how close he got with the nozzle yet it was too close.

Originally Posted by CR94
Some vehicles have much larger openings in the grill than others, the larger ones being ridiculously large.

In previous cars, I installed window screening between grill and radiator. In this one I haven't, but did put plastic gutter screening (from Lowe's) in the grill. It's cheap, durable, doesn't rattle or mar surfaces as hardware cloth would, and is not horribly conspicuous. The openings are about a quarter of an inch squares. That should at least keep birds, large insects, and big rocks out of the radiator, condenser, and the other expensive heat exchanger.

Window screen would be my thought .

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Best way to clean them out is with mild degreaser, a brush, and patience. Pressure washer has no business being used on heat exchangers.

Would peroxide work as a pre-wash to soften the bugs remains?

I've never actually used it myself. I always tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to cleaning heat exchangers, because ultimately whatever you spray on is going to end up being sprayed off all over the paint of the front end of your vehicle. I wouldn't want to use something that will end up eating the paint

I make a bug screen out of plastic window screening. Installed six small electrical clamps to support screen. Install brass grommets along top and bottom of screen. Use small square of reinforcement screen on each side of grommet for longer life. Install with small ty raps. I'm on my fourth screen on 04 Camry V6. No bugs in condenser.

Is this an actual problem that we are trying to solve?

I've driven vehicles to 300k miles that didn't overheat and had cold AC...

It is a regional and seasonal thing.

Drive through rural FL during love bug season, and I promise you that your windows, exchangers, lights, and all will be completely blacked out by dead bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back