Mobile dog grooming business ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Lady had a Ford Transit with graphics advertising her business..... thats how I found her at 70 MPH on the highway.
smile.gif

Transit or Transit Connect ?

Originally Posted by Schmoe
50 bucks???? ouch. That's really expensive.

Actually, she is undercharging. For that service, she should be charging $80 to $100. My town has about 4 of these mobile groomers running around, they ALL are booked months out at a time, and they all charge $80 to $100 per visit, and have about 5 to 7 dogs groomed per day. Do the math, its a very lucrative opportunity.

And anyone that owns a business with expenses, overhead, taxes and insurance knows that you need to make $100 an hour or so to make it worth it.

She is probably charging so little to build up her customer/client base, but once she is fully booked, she should raise her prices to the going rate.

And my mobile groomers uses a trailer that they tow behind their truck. That seems like the smart way to go, as a trailer takes less maintenance (tires and wheel bearings) and doesn't need replaced every 4-6 years like a mobile grooming van would.

Trailers seem like a great way to start this kind of business.

My sis in law and her parter started with a trailer in food trucks and now upgraded to a U-haul. They do really well and low overhead.

[Linked Image]

I have a groomer that comes to my house but she has no van. She comes in the house with all her tools and a table and grooms right there. She uses my tub for the bath. She is a professional groomer who works for Petsmart full time and does grooming on the side. She does great work, no mobile van costs for her, and great price for me.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Trailers seem like a great way to start this kind of business.

My sis in law and her parter started with a trailer in food trucks and now upgraded to a U-haul. They do really well and low overhead.

[Linked Image]

I would not buy food from a truck/trailer looking like that!

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I would not buy food from a truck/trailer looking like that!

I wouldn't take food for free from that rig.

Around here laborers line up to buy tamales out of the trunk of a car....

$50 for a cut, wash, and nails is a deal given you don't even have to leave your house! Not sure why some here think that's expensive. When we had a dog that needed grooming we had to drive there and drop off then go pick up 2-3 hours later and that was $40. 8 miles each way times four. This women who did it had converted her garage into a grooming salon. Had all the business she could handle as you had to make appointments well in advance.

45 minutes from start to finish.

I had to wait a week to get an appointment. She makes her schedule to do 5 dogs a day in an area, then the next day she is a few miles away in another location.

$250 per day for 4:45 of work plus drive time. That's 65k per year if she does 5 days a week. Not bad.

Originally Posted by Bud
Thank goodness my old tom cat cleans himself.
grin2.gif

Haw! My Hound Dawg does the same with occasional dips in our pond. He is almost 5 and has never had a bath yet.

Originally Posted by Sonic
$50 for a cut, wash, and nails is a deal given you don't even have to leave your house! Not sure why some here think that's expensive. When we had a dog that needed grooming we had to drive there and drop off then go pick up 2-3 hours later and that was $40. 8 miles each way times four. This women who did it had converted her garage into a grooming salon. Had all the business she could handle as you had to make appointments well in advance.

I worked for a lady who did grooming out of her garage. She easily made 100k a year doing it full time. She was a great client as well...

Originally Posted by Schmoe
50 bucks???? ouch. That's really expensive.

What? Um, no.

$50 is completely reasonable and I would've included a $10 tip on top of it. I've tried to groom my dog myself and it is very difficult to do well (especially the face, paws and ears). It truly is a skill and should be compensated accordingly. I am happy to pay for the skilled labor required to complete the job satisfactorily. I was embarrassed for my dog when I finished grooming her. It was not pretty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Throt
I was embarrassed for my dog when I finished grooming her. It was not pretty.

You were embarrassed, dog didn't care a bit.
wink.gif

Grooming certainly is a learned skill if done properly to breed standards.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Originally Posted by Bud
Thank goodness my old tom cat cleans himself.
grin2.gif

Haw! My Hound Dawg does the same with occasional dips in our pond. He is almost 5 and has never had a bath yet.

Never mind if the occasional gator ends up in the pond at the same time as the dawg.
Fido? Fido? C'mon boy, where are you?

Originally Posted by Danno
Lady had a Ford Transit with graphics advertising her business..... thats how I found her at 70 MPH on the highway.
smile.gif

Transit or Transit Connect ?

Transit Connect with table, water tank and grooming equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back