Help idtentify oil filter please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few in my garage from I dont know when or where. Brand is Mighty and it says M500. I have a 2016 Fusion w/ 2.5L and 2018 5.0. Will the filters fit any of my vehicles?

Not much info on Mighty filters that I can see. Did find a thread here with someone removing an M500 from an F-150 but with a 3.5L Ecoboost engine. Fram doesn't list it in their cross-reference look-up.

Not much info on Mighty filters that I can see. Did find a thread here with someone removing an M500 from an F-150 but with a 3.5L Ecoboost engine. Fram doesn't list it in their cross-reference look-up.

yeah, ive looked and cant really find much either. Looking back I think I remember where the filters came from and what vehicle. The wife worked at a nissan dealer about five years ago and remember her bringing home a bag of filters one day. At the time she had a mustang w/ 3.7, which is a larger bore version of the 3.5. So that makes sense with the ecoboost f150. Probably not going to fit on any vehicle we have now and will end up in the garbage.

Guess I posted as others were commenting, will keep and try it out on the next f150 oil change

Throw them away. Why??? Why chance ruining your engine over a oil filter that you or others can't find what it fits. Go buy a oil filter that you know works.

Throw them away. Why??? Why chance ruining your engine over a oil filter that you or others can't find what it fits....
It's not rocket science to confirm the topic Mighty M500 fits properly as described. After matching up the size and sealing gaskets, just have to see if it easily screws on ie, proper thread pitch. That doesn't require forcing anything.

There's links from a couple sources (Wix and OIlfilter Xref) here that would give me a high degree of confidence, the M500 filter is as described. If they work, I wouldn't throw them away, many post use jobber tier filter anecdotes posted here that have looked fine. For 3-~5k mi. oci, I'd say not much of gamble.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I have a few in my garage from I dont know when or where. Brand is Mighty and it says M500. I have a 2016 Fusion w/ 2.5L and 2018 5.0. Will the filters fit any of my vehicles?

This isn't going to help you, but the last time I knew of anybody selling Mighty parts in this area was from an independent one-man garage from the late '70s-early '80s.
At that time, the brand was pretty diverse, as they even sold "Mighty" brand spark plugs.
I'm sure your filters are newer than that, but if you had absolutely no clue how old they were, I would probably avoid using them.

If age of filter in question, I'd think there is a date code on the dome of the filter. If you post it, it's possible it could be decoded.

I would add the Mighty Auto Parts site pretty much useless for the average joe. Have to register to get parts catalog info, and 'appears' some type of business information is required.

If you decide not use them, at least cut and posts pics.

Ford's current fleet, with a few exceptions, almost entirely uses the FL-910S o9r FL-500S filters. This is the low cost alternative to the MotorCraft FL-500S.

The wife worked at a nissan dealer about five years ago and remember her bringing home a bag of filters one day.

Timeline makes sense. Go back a few years, and Ford used to use FL-1A, FL-400S, FL-820S - no longer relevant filters for new Fords. Size, fitment, and streamlining inventory. Why did your wife have the bag of filters? If she pilfered it, I can understand that. Who hasn't brought home office supplies? But if the dealership found those filters to be bad, and just wanted to throw them out, then you don't want them either.

will keep and try it out on the next f150 oil change

If you want to risk using a filter you've never heard of, which nobody knows anything about; keep us updated. I am optimistic. I think that too many of us are hooked into only using favored brands. Obviously this company is in business, has been in business for awhile, and the retail public is not who they sell to. This is probably a minimum spec product, sold in bulk via a distributorship network, and sold by the pallet. I know that in other industries, insiders buy and use great products at reduced pricing, that the general public has no knowledge of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back