Fastenal new policy-unhappy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We trade at our traditional supply houses , as much as possible . They carry some fasteners , but if I need something " unusual " , there is an independent fastener business we trade at . Good service & inventory ! :)

I worked for an industrial supplier in the late 70's into the early 80's. We had a similar min order 40 yrs ago. It was needed to prevent people from spending 15 minutes at the counter buying $3 worth of fasteners. By the time I chased the parts and rang up the order we had lost more money than the purchase was worth. It wasnt a sustainable business model.

Fastenal is a love-hate company for me. I manage their account here at work and we spend ~$5MIL with them annually. They provide a great service to us but their corporate guys are idiots and they are way overpriced on most everything!

I have shopped a little bit at Fastenall and purchased even less .

I also thought they were over priced .

Originally Posted by Kira
rekit said above: "... the store is one block from Hwy 90 and also the main rail line".
Robbers taking to a highway I can see...but waiting for Amtrack after a heist?
They have their own boxcar on a siding and wheel-jack it on to the end of a freight. The cops never suspect. Once they got away with a pound of nails.

But they never hook up to Shack's train. Nobody rides on Shack's train.

The Rail Line and Hwy 90 are both used by the transients and Hobo's.......
We also had this Killer riding by this area, among others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ãngel_Maturino_Reséndiz

Never been in a Fastenal. Whenever I need a less common nut, bolt, or piece of hardware, Ace seems to have something that will work and they're right up the street. For regular nuts and bolts, I buy them by the pound from Tractor Supply.

Getting off topic..slightly...but they can transport items, similar to a UPS, FedEx, or DHL service. I will readily admit I've never had anything shipped by them.

I've worked in many shop where the Bolt Bin is maintained by Fastenal & I've shipped Transmissions via their Store-to-Store Logistics service.

Things have been going down hill with them for a few years now in my opinion. I've been using Vantex for my fastener needs as of late, They actually specialize in Electrical Supplies but are fully stocked with Hardware as well. They're a 3M authorized dealer.
Ace Hardware also has a good selection of fasteners.

Company worked for had an account at Fastenal but never had what was needed in stock which was a major pain when a customers equipment was down. Stopped going there as did other techs. Time is money.

I bet it is due to wage increases/ labor costs. Many stores are changing their business model and trying new things. I spent $15,000 at Fastenal last week for work. Their quoted prices on large items are good and the negotiated prices on their automatically filled supply vending machines are decent. They don't target small consumers. I didn't even know someone without an account could go in there and buy something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back