amazon basics 5-40 not as good

Status
Not open for further replies.
put in amazon basics synthetic euro spec 5-40 in girlfriends oil drinking 2.5L malibu last change + down a qt in only a thou where as the liquimoly went about 2 thou. either its getting worse or the similar 5-40 liquimoly is better. waiting for other issues with that oil burner to arrive. she buys new + this 13 malibu with the 2.5L DI is the worse ever!! only 64 thou on it!!

Last edited:
Maybe the motor needs to be looked at by a professional. Just because an engine oil doesn't cover up a symptom of a potential mechanical issue with an engine doesn't make it a bad oil.

Originally Posted by Jesse_NE
Maybe the motor needs to be looked at by a professional. Just because an engine oil doesn't cover up a symptom of a potential mechanical issue with an engine doesn't make it a bad oil.

GM will tell you normal then have a good day.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Consumption is not an indication of oil quality. There has been engines which drink Mobil One like it's going out of style.

While that's also true, Amazon basics oil basically isn't approved by most manufacturers and has a minimum of approvals.

The oil is not the problem. The car is the problem. Burning oil is not normal. Look at all the other cars which aren't burning oil. If losing oil is the norm, then every car would burn oil.

The temperatures have warmed considerably as the seasons change. ... Lot's of factors involved in oil burning rates.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

While that's also true, Amazon basics oil basically isn't approved by most manufacturers and has a minimum of approvals.

Manufacturers don't approve oil, they require a spec for an oil to meet.
Amazon Euro 5w-40 is an API SN, ACEA A3/B4 rated oil. If your vehicle needs these specs, then it is "approved" to use in that vehicle.

And in the case of this user, it does not meet the specs of his 2013 Malibu with the 2.5. It should be a 0w-20 or 5w-20 dexos1 oil.

Originally Posted by Jesse_NE
[/quote]
GM will tell you normal then have a good day.

As does Honda and some other manufacturers.

Last edited:
For something that drinks that much oil I wouldn't be putting expensive Liqui-moly or synthetic oil in it. I'd be putting Rotella or SuperTech 10w30 and stocking up on what I could find on sale.

When I was a teenager , by 100,000 miles , most car engines were getting close to being worn out / in need of at least rings and inserts . A quart of oil every 1,000 miles was not considered that bad . Times have really changed !

Truth is , oil is cheap , engines are expensive .

Change / check the PCV valve . Any leals ?

I'm assuming you checked everything out for possible leaks anywhere. So in that scenario I would save the money and put Supertech 10w30 conventional in it, gonna burn it anyways. Less than $13 for 5qts at Wal-Mart.

My sister's car burned 1qt per 1000 miles. 2013 Tiguan. Turns out she basically never gave it a chance to fully warm up before she let the turbo kick in. Once I taught her to take it easy for the first 20 mins of driving - car started consuming a lot less oil. 1qt per 4k miles currently. So an issue could be as simple as driving style in the first 15-20 mins of driving.

PCV Valve?
Coolant Flush?
Air Filters?

Is the car overheating? Does it have grille shutters, and if so are they stuck closed?

I'd look over the cooling system, change pcv valve, flush the Dexcool and replace, and check the airfilters.

With the oil burning, I'd probably look at the spark plugs too, possibly replacing those.

After that I'd find a HM 5w30 in any flavor, is Maxlife Dexos Approved?

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
PCV Valve?
Coolant Flush?
Air Filters?

Is the car overheating? Does it have grille shutters, and if so are they stuck closed?

I'd look over the cooling system, change pcv valve, flush the Dexcool and replace, and check the airfilters.

With the oil burning, I'd probably look at the spark plugs too, possibly replacing those.

After that I'd find a HM 5w30 in any flavor, is Maxlife Dexos Approved?

It's not even his car. Girlfriend's car. And she's getting another.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
For something that drinks that much oil I wouldn't be putting expensive Liqui-moly or synthetic oil in it. I'd be putting Rotella or SuperTech 10w30 and stocking up on what I could find on sale.

This or 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back