Fastenal new policy-unhappy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dayton,TX store. $25 minimum, no cash. I understand a minimum kinda, I understand no cash. It sure was great to go in there and find what you needed. I know the $10 or 20 I spent there on small RC airplane hardware wasn't keeping them in business, tho. The thing is, they were always very nice and didn't care if you spent a dollar or 50. Seemed like they were glad to just see someone-or maybe I was there at a slow time. Is this nationwide? May call tomorrow.

The company I work for had planned on a no cash policy. They sent emails and printed counter mats explaining the new policy. I thought it was dumb. It got revoked before it ever rolled out.

The upper upper management of fastenal is clueless.if they do that here...... I'm out! Personal and work

As far as No Cash, the store is one block from Hwy 90 and also the main rail line. I'm surprised the doors don't stay locked. This is near Houston . Watch our news..........We're not in Mayberry anymore.

I can understand no cash, even if I might not agree with it. I can't say I agree to having both no cash and having a purchase minimum. Restaurants and bars can have cover charges. Fastenal? That's silly.

A lot of suppliers like Fastenal are Business to Business or specific Trade only. Plumbing and electrical supply and Grainger are commonly this way. Fastenal has probably decided it isn't worth it to continue small counter sales.

Originally Posted by E150GT
The company I work for had planned on a no cash policy. They sent emails and printed counter mats explaining the new policy. I thought it was dumb. It got revoked before it ever rolled out.

Also depends on state law. A few stores around here tried it. Once the state found out, they told them that the state law requires that they accept cash. So then they started accepting cash again.

Always annoying when going out with friends, seems like lots of times I'm the only one with cash.

It's not so much no cash, but that you have to have an account. Keeps the small timers out.

What I dont like about Fastenal, sure they can get most everything, but often the things I want are not in stock most of the time, then I have to order it and pay the shipping to the store. They wont even do free store to store shipping. Like the item is in stock at another store in some other state. The shipping often exceeds the cost of the item.

I pay most everything with a 2% back credit card, so no cash policy is fine. The $25 minimum is something else. I've often gone there and bought $2 or $3 worth of hardware. Not sure I'd go back if I had to buy $25 worth.

Last edited:
The Fastenal store that USED to be closest to me closed for lack of business. I bet they wished they had received more cash.

rekit said above: "... the store is one block from Hwy 90 and also the main rail line".
Robbers taking to a highway I can see...but waiting for Amtrack after a heist?

Originally Posted by Kira
rekit said above: "... the store is one block from Hwy 90 and also the main rail line".
Robbers taking to a highway I can see...but waiting for Amtrack after a heist?

Do they sell liquor there too? I never thought Fastenal was a prime holdup destination like liquor stores are.

Originally Posted by Kruse
The Fastenal store that USED to be closest to me closed for lack of business. I bet they wished they had received more cash.

Same story here. Whenever I went into the nearest store I was the only customer there. Maybe they do a lot of online or delivery sales but I don't see how they stay in business. My new nearest store now isn't much different.

They should be doing a lot of purchase order driven deliveries, walk-ins should be the minority of their business, and most of that will be order pick-ups- in and out fast.

Originally Posted by Kruse

lol.gif

There aren't very many where I live. I went to a store once, they didn't have what I needed, and I haven't been back.

I used to order bolts washers and nuts from Fastenal by the case through the city account when I was fire marshal. I instituted an aggressive board up program for dilapidated and abandoned buildings to prevent fires. I went in the store one time to select what was needed and they delivered to my fire station. They also began carrying fire chaulk and several other items that I prescribed on my fire inspections so building owners had a convenient place to purchase these things.
I see the minimum purchase as a result of the no cash policy as the debit/credit transaction fees cut into small dollars sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back