Nissan NS-3 Equivalent - Valvoline CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this applies to the Altima, but I just did some more innerwebs searching in regards to the Murano, Pathfinder and Quest.

It looks like fluid level must be checked between 98-113F CVT fluid temp. They don't say to have the engine running, but you can hear it running in some videos, on the lift or not. Fluid should just dribble out. 4qts is the normal drain/fill amount.

When I serviced the CVT transmission, I replaced the amount that drained. I was pretty accurate.
As I understand it, the proper way is to have the trans at a specific temperature and to use a special electronic device to check.
Then you remove the sight plug; a slight drip means the fluid level is correct.

I did something similar on a 2013 Accord CVT (no special device).

On this car, I believe getting to the plug with the car level seemed to be a little more challenging.
TBT, I did not try that hard...
I received the Nissan 2013 Altima dipstick and gave it a go earlier today...

Anyways, using the dipstick, with the engine idling and the transmission was at "around town" operating temperature gave me confidence in the fluid level.
In hindsight, there may be a few ounces overfill, as the trans gets hotter during prolonged freeway operation.

In summation, I believe the dipstick method to check level, at idle and operating temp works fine.
The factory recommended procedure seems like way over kill; I may be wrong.
Just my 2 cents.

Any comments are welcome; we are all trying to learn.

Nicoclub.com has the official CVT fluid check procedure. The link is for a 2016 Altima but it the same for all gen 5 Altima's and other years can be found on the site. There is an APP to use for checking the CVT fluid temperature, CVTz50. The app cost $4.99 to download and requires an ELM 327 adapter version 1.5. Versions 2.0 and above will "not" work. I got my adapter on ebay for about $5.

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=Altima/2016 Altima/TM (Page 85)

Char, you brought an oldie back!

I was a bit confused back then on the Nissan CVT thing..
spankme2.gif

I've been wondering the same thing myself, since I just bought a 2013 Altima two weeks ago with the 2.5. Ultimately, I think I'm just going to stick with the genuine NS-3 stuff. Might be more expensive, but I'm hoping to get at least 6 or 7 years out of the car, and I think sticking with the NS-3 stuff will help keep the CVT alive as long as possible.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
I've been wondering the same thing myself, since I just bought a 2013 Altima two weeks ago with the 2.5. Ultimately, I think I'm just going to stick with the genuine NS-3 stuff. Might be more expensive, but I'm hoping to get at least 6 or 7 years out of the car, and I think sticking with the NS-3 stuff will help keep the CVT alive as long as possible.

Refer to your owner's manual. I believe your 2013 would use NS-2, not 3.

I did a 2015 Rogue a few weeks ago and that tube cap was a pain to get off. IIRC the cap had a lock on it and it breaks when removing it; a tamper seal?

I believe the FSM says a replacement is required after removal which would also suggest it's purpose is to detect tampering.

I could be wrong though.

The CVT fluid "pipe" has a tab that must be pushed back with a small screwdriver to remove the plug.
Well, not the pipe, but the plastic plug.
Also, it may be stuck due to many heat cycles and no prior removal. Squirt some WD-40...
Youtube is your friend.
I always reinsert them 180* out so I can get 'em off easier next time.
They are a PITA.

And Valvoline/Castrol synthetic CVT fluid rocks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK

It's NS-3. I have the same car(2013-18)

MolaKule.
Would you also recommend these fluids for current Honda HCF-2?
I have more access to the mainstream Valvoline CVT & Castrol CVT than the others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK

Gen 4 Altimas (2007-2012) use NS-2 fluid.. My 2013 is a Gen 5 Altima (2013-2018), and uses NS-3.

^ Yep. I see that now. Good thing is, I know when I buy my Nissan NS-3 online for our 2016 Nissan Quest CVT, I've seen NS-2 for sale and it's always more expensive than NS-3. Supply and demand thing maybe? Regardless, if I was out of warranty, I'd use one of the aftermarket fluids like suggested by Molecule above.

I'm still hung up on keeping a blue fluid in my Quest CVT while I still have 30K more miles of warranty. Interestingly, it drains out green and NS-2 is green.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by JTK
^ I'm still hung up on keeping a blue fluid in my Quest CVT while I still have 30K more miles of warranty. Interestingly, it drains out green and NS-2 is green.
lol.gif

Aisin makes a full synthetic CVT fluid that they claim is a direct replacement for Nissan's NS3. It even has NS3 on the bottle and the fluid is "BLUE". And it is a little cheaper than Nissan's NS3. They also have a NS2 fluid which is green. Available on ebay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAcWfYcVqEU

https://www.aisinaftermarket.com/uploads/pn1mmd0q_ATF-NS3_Product_Annoucement_copy(5.0).pdf

Last edited:
Jeff-
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Hi All - I serviced a 2015 Altima with 80K miles. The CVT fluid was dark... We have heard about these CVT failures. I used 4.1 quarts of Valvoline CVT fluid. .

The Valvoline CVT fluid is an amber in color, right? But the Nissan NS-3 fluid originally in your car is green.

With a drain and fill, didn't you effectively mix the two fluids? What color did you end up with?

I'm thinking of doing a drain and fill on my 2017 Sentra with Castrol Transmax CVT, which is red. But I've heard you should not mix fluid colors, even if both are compatible with Nissan NS-3.

Did you have any issues?

Thanks,

Sabbates

Originally Posted by sabbates
Jeff-
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Hi All - I serviced a 2015 Altima with 80K miles. The CVT fluid was dark... We have heard about these CVT failures. I used 4.1 quarts of Valvoline CVT fluid. .

The Valvoline CVT fluid is an amber in color, right? But the Nissan NS-3 fluid originally in your car is green.

With a drain and fill, didn't you effectively mix the two fluids? What color did you end up with?

I'm thinking of doing a drain and fill on my 2017 Sentra with Castrol Transmax CVT, which is red. But I've heard you should not mix fluid colors, even if both are compatible with Nissan NS-3.

Did you have any issues?

Thanks,

Sabbates

I did 3 services. The original fluid was very dark brown, nearly black. 80K miles.
The 2nd drain was much better; a lighter brown. Maybe 4K miles later.
The 3rd was a lighter brown; much better.

I had great results with mixing 3 fluids: original NS-3, Valvoline and Castrol.
My guess is the color is added by the manufacturer.
I think the Castrol will serve you well. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back