Which 5w30 for gen lll Coyote 5.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been buying oil at Walmart for years.

ZeeOSix - I've heard of that helping, but Ford says it is normal and I guess Coyotes have been ticking for years. Yeah, I'm a member @ Mustang6G.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Toy4x4
I was thinking of regular PP, and not PUP.
Yes, it does have the bbq/typewriter tick.

Lots of guys get rid of the typewriter tick with LiquiMoly CeraTec additive. 5W-30 might help, no guarantee. Join Mustang6G if you haven't already, lots of good info over there.

If using that is common advice then it's not good information. Blindly adding a miracle in a bottle when it has proven to do nothing nor not being able describe how it improves a finished product is not good.

CeraTec has been around s long time, as well as similar anti-friction additives. Nobody has reported any ill effects from CeraTec. As said, many a ticking Coyote becomes quiet almost instantly when it's added search YouTube for guys using it.

ZeeOSix - I've heard of that helping, but Ford says it is normal and I guess Coyotes have been ticking for years. Yeah, I'm a member @ Mustang6G.

I've read and researched it for over 4 years. It only took Ford 8 years to come out with a bulletin saying it's "normal" - lol. IMO, the typewriter tick is caused by something like the rod big ends slapping side-to-side, and when the friction level of the oil is improved they don't get triggered to slap and tick.

When guys use CeraTec for an oil run, then change oil without adding CeraTec again, the ticking remains gone (anti-friction layer remains for a while), so it can't be caused by "oil cavitation" like some guys theorize. It's something mecanical that's effected by the friction level between moving parts.

Lots of guys get rid of the typewriter tick with LiquiMoly CeraTec additive. 5W-30 might help, no guarantee. Join Mustang6G if you haven't already, lots of good info over there.

If using that is common advice then it's not good information. Blindly adding a miracle in a bottle when it has proven to do nothing nor not being able describe how it improves a finished product is not good.

Lol!

You obviously do not know anything about the product nor the infamous ticking. Leave a topic like this to people like myself who own and drive a mustang and are familiar with their issues of ownership.

Ford use to sell and recommend their Motircraft XL-17 oil treatment additive (carbon black I believe) for the ticking, and it also worked. Back in the early days of the Coyote (2011 was the first Gen Coyote), when someone complained about the ticking, Ford field engineers would recommend it for the cure.

I've just had the crash course, lol! I've read about the rod ends possibly being the culprit with some people measuring and showing the clearances being slightly on the high side. I wonder if this causes the piston to move slightly abnormally in the cylinder as some owners have had scoring...???

If you want help with the ticking look to things that may ease it, what do you have to loose? Penzoil euro 5w30 hths 3.5 better the PP if you want to get rid of the ticking. Redline 5w30 even better yet, higher hths and loads of additives and a base oil that is dense and polar. If you stay inside the box, likely you will have the same result. Try some things would be my suggestion, if it doesn't work you still have good oil in the crankcase.

I've just had the crash course, lol! I've read about the rod ends possibly being the culprit with some people measuring and showing the clearances being slightly on the high side. I wonder if this causes the piston to move slightly abnormally in the cylinder as some owners have had scoring...???

The rods are free floating. If they move any distance side-to-side it should have no influence on how the piston moves in the piston's thrust direction in the cylinder, which is perpendicular to the rod side-to-side movement direction. Pistons don't move much if any side-to-side, only fore and aft (skirt thrust area makes contact, which can cause piston slap) perpendicular to the crankshaft axis of rotation.

At the moment I have T6 5w40 in the sump with Ceratek and still have a slight typewriter tick.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
IM NEVER A FAN OF ADD ANYTHING BUT ENGINE OIL TO THE ENGINE.

If you have a brand new expensive vehicle that ticks and the dealer does nothing about it your view on additives may be different. Personally, Im not a fan of additives either, but I figured I would give it a shot.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

At the moment I have T6 5w40 in the sump with Ceratek and still have a slight typewriter tick.

Did your tick subside noticeably with the 5W40 and CeraTec?

If you have a brand new expensive vehicle that ticks and the dealer does nothing about it your view on additives may be different. Personally, Im not a fan of additives either, but I figured I would give it a shot.

Oh dude I gauruntee every guy that tosses that garbage around except only try gf-5 spec'd oil has never had a tick in a new vehicle. If you try and couple things and they don't work, well at least you tried. I can tell you more vehicles then not can stop ticks with different oils, and the same people still refuse to believe it as general knowledge. BBQ is different, maybe their would be less success rates then lifter tick, dunno for sure, but DOESN"T hurt to try it might just work. Follow the science, read moly basics again, look at all the moly additives and see the reviews, the youtubes. Maybe it can be ellviated with high viscosity, maybe additives, it is worth a shot. But, only after you take the new vehicle to the dealer and at least get them to say normal on the reciept. Once you get the punt from the dealer, then think outside the box, sometimes you find dealers that actually care, though they are far inbetween most of them.

CeraTec has been around s long time, as well as similar anti-friction additives. Nobody has reported any ill effects from CeraTec. As said, many a ticking Coyote becomes quiet almost instantly when it's added search YouTube for guys using it.

No formal testing no side by side teardown with measurements. It's snake oil.

Originally Posted by burla

Oh dude I gauruntee every guy that tosses that garbage around except only try gf-5 spec'd oil has never had a tick in a new vehicle. If you try and couple things and they don't work, well at least you tried. I can tell you more vehicles then not can stop ticks with different oils, and the same people still refuse to believe it as general knowledge. BBQ is different, maybe their would be less success rates then lifter tick, dunno for sure, but DOESN"T hurt to try it might just work. Follow the science, read moly basics again, look at all the moly additives and see the reviews, the youtubes. Maybe it can be ellviated with high viscosity, maybe additives, it is worth a shot. But, only after you take the new vehicle to the dealer and at least get them to say normal on the reciept. Once you get the punt from the dealer, then think outside the box, sometimes you find dealers that actually care, though they are far inbetween most of them.

Read what happens when adding to a finished formulation. Here his a hint not less wear and don't start on hearing "tick" because anyone can be convinced they are hearing a tick.

There are guys here that have recorded tick with various oils, there are even more guys that have done so at ram forum if you need more. Many oils do end ticks, for some reason people want to say something different, but it is a straight up fact.

This is BITOG member that went to the trouble to share his recording. quieting tick

Hopefully at some point we can stop arhuing this fact. Leave brand out of it, just know some oils are better then others at killing ticks. When you have a tick, search them out, or possibly additives that also have been proven sometimes to elliviate the tick. If someone tells you to choose an oil that makes your engine tick over an oil that makes the tick disapear, say NO THANK YOU.

Snake oil that seems to work for most guys that have a ticking Coyote ... and no reports of any ill effects. LiquiMoly wouldn't be in business if their products damaged engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHe4k-5yKo

Toy4x4 said:

Teardowns?! Guys that I race with on weekends with coyote powered mustangs are using additives mentioned here to quiet down their ticking issues, nobody doing tear downs around here ...‚. The mustang crowd would have a fun time talking to you ....

Snake oil that seems to work for most guys that have a ticking Coyote ... and no reports of any ill effects. LiquiMoly wouldn't be in business if their products damaged engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHe4k-5yKo

Exactly keep making my point everything you provided on this topic is not verifiable and no harm means nothing along with testimonials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back