Forgotten baby syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wherever humans are involved, there is always room for error. That is what makes us human. You would hope parenting is an exception, but it's not.

If it never happened to you, consider yourself lucky.

I've got 2 sons in their 20's now. Of all the things my wife and I did to care for them growing up, it always was an active thought. Nothing was, just going through the motions. How can you raise kids on autopilot ? What kind of kids do you want to have ? The fact that folks do that and drive without being actively engaged should scare those of us that are. I don't see an excuse for this.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Char Baby
I am with those who can't believe how people can forget their children in the vehicle.

Google link in the OP gives an explanation of why/how it happens:
Forgotten Baby Syndrome is the medical explanation for how a parent can walk away from a car without realizing their child remains inside. Dr. David Diamond, a professor of psychology, molecular pharmacology, and physiology at the University of South Florida, Tampa, spends time researching the neurobiology of FBS. According to Dr. Diamond, each day people perform tasks that become routine, involving little conscious thought and are therefore governed by a part of the brain called the motor cortex. A good example is driving home from work each day using the same route. Eventually, we can do it seemingly without thinking. Dr. Diamond explains, "in effect, our motor memory frees us up to think about the future while completing the task at hand."

Then there is the part of the brain responsible for making a clear decision, for example, to stop at the store on your way home from work. This is called the hippocampus, and it controls the cognitive portion of our brains. Dr. Diamond explains that in FBS, the motor memory part of our brain competes against the cognitive part of the brain, overruling it. In this example, that would mean leaving work with the intent of stopping at the store and then finding yourself in your garage having forgotten that you intended to make a stop elsewhere. This phenomenon happens as a normal part of our brain's function and not because there is something wrong with our brain structure.

In the case of FBS, two things often happen. First, a caregiver varies from their normal routine. For example, a caregiver that does not usually transport a child to daycare may do so on this day. They then drive to work as normal, the motor cortex out-thinking the cognitive brain and leading the parent to completely forget their child is in the back. They go about their day with no recollection of their intent to drop a child off and looking forward to seeing the child in the evening.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Medical mumbo jumbo made up for people acting NEGLIGENTLY....

Today I had this moron.... And I mean moron "father" with his two year old wandering around away from him by over 30 plus feet... Little one starts going towards my hot grill smoking my pork ribs for dinner... I had to stop the little one from getting hurt... Because his numbnuts father was such a blanking airhead... That moron should not raise a guinea pig.

That moron should have been far closer to his child... What if someone else had a dog and it maybe not the most friendly... And there's that a large a distance between them... He should have been within 2-3 steps of his child... Not 30 blanking feet plus... Cannot fix this kind of foolishness.

For the record... My sister was a moron at times... For certain. I saw my 3 year old niece wander 150 ft plus totally out of sight one time at a cookout at Newport News park... My sister too busy talking and not paying any attention to her own daughter... That was stupid too. And my sister did that kind of thing a good bit too often.

Last edited:
Excuses are simply that...there's no way, having been a parent that we did this....they and their comfort, location and condition were always the entire focus, impossible to "forget" that they were in the back seat.

Now my father, leaving us kids in the car in 110F heat, with strict instructions to not open the windows/doors (stranger danger threat), while he spent 2 hours in the totaliser agency was more indicative of these actions...5 minutes becomes hours when practicing negligence.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
No such syndrome. Dump the smartphone and all will be well..

THIS 100%

simple distraction that totally sucks the mind from even remembering your own offspring.

Any data on occurrence rates?
I want:
day vs. night,
seasonal,
time of week,
time of day,
type of trip,
by country,
make of car,
body style of car,
race,
sex,
relative or not,
impairment level of driver,
income level,
age of vehicle,
....and of course the engine oil condition.

Originally Posted by bbhero
... ...
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Medical mumbo jumbo made up for people acting NEGLIGENTLY....

Today I had this moron.... And I mean moron "father" with his two year old wandering around away from him by over 30 plus feet... Little one starts going towards my hot grill smoking my pork ribs for dinner... I had to stop the little one from getting hurt... Because his numbnuts father was such a blanking airhead... That moron should not raise a guinea pig.

That moron should have been far closer to his child... What if someone else had a dog and it maybe not the most friendly... And there's that a large a distance between them... He should have been within 2-3 steps of his child... Not 30 blanking feet plus... Cannot fix this kind of foolishness.

For the record... My sister was a moron at times... For certain. I saw my 3 year old niece wander 150 ft plus totally out of sight one time at a cookout at Newport News park... My sister too busy talking and not paying any attention to her own daughter... That was stupid too. And my sister did that kind of thing a good bit too often.

I went to the local water play area. Waddin' water: 1.5-2 ft deep.
This grandpa, brings an 1.2-1.5 baby granddaughter in the water and starts looking at the lifeguards girls.
Baby girl drops and starts drinking water. submerged
Granma starts yelling at granpa, he still does not react
Babygirl still drinking water
I look at him (granma still yelling)
Babygirl still drinking water
take 3 steps, lift baygirl, take her directly to granma
dirty look to granpa
see about my day.
Granpa still no reaction.
In my mind: Granpa (estimate 68-75) was really green and in way better shape than my floppy belly dad-bod. What is wrong with him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by fdcg27

This strikes me as psychobabble nonsense.
Parents are responsible for the children in their care. The is no valid excuse nor explanation for killing an infant by leaving it in a car.
The best remedy for this might be to make all parents aware that this is an offense that will bring prosecution for negligent homicide, as would be appropriate.
Anyone entrusted with a precious young life must have the protection of that child as their foremost concern, not their smart phone.
Dropping a small child off at a caregiver's location is routine. How anyone could forget that and bring their child to work with them and then leave them to die in a car sitting in the sun is beyond comprehension.
Yes, we did raise two sons from birth, so I'm not speaking from ignorance.

You and me both, we grew our kids by making them our #1 priority no matter what.
The bolded part of your quote is basically giving them the scare to prioritize in their brain if they reach a certain point.

Would also work if maybe some support groups in educating some parents on effective parenting.

All of this will be WAY CHEAPER than any government intervention/mandate.

It takes a village to grow a kid.

The best remedy for this might be to make all parents aware that this is an offense that will bring prosecution for negligent homicide, as would be appropriate.

In my opinion, threatening with prosecution and punishment only works against things that people do intentionally. The whole FBS is not something that people do intentionally. It's not like parents leave kids in cars alone on purpose to begin with.

We are not talking about parents trying to intentionally kill their kids here.

Originally Posted by Kira
Any data on occurrence rates?....and of course the engine oil condition.

Here's "some" of your request Kira: https://www.google.com/search?clien.....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67.fCZn2KNhr4E ... It seems most use Mobil 1 oil.
21.gif

After a bit more probing, this is actually an interesting phenomenon. As one poster eluded, it just doesn't apply to babies left in cars:
"The importance of prospective memory failures, however, is not always as benign as forgetting to buy groceries. There are documented examples of prospective memory-related fatal or potentially fatal tragedies: airline pilots and ground flight crew memory errors have caused the loss of life in plane crashes, police officers have forgotten their loaded guns in public restrooms and dogs have died of hyperthermia after they were forgotten in cars."

"An explanation for this failure is that the parent's brain habit memory system outcompetes their brain's prospective memory system."

http://psychology.usf.edu/faculty/d..._Parents_Forget_Children_in_Hot_Cars.pdf

and https://www.google.com/search?clien...s-wiz.......0i71j0j0i67j0i13.BCbTiVXA4zw

In my opinion, threatening with prosecution and punishment only works against things that people do intentionally. The whole FBS is not something that people do intentionally. It's not like parents leave kids in cars alone on purpose to begin with.

I should have added, none of these punishments are going to be any more powerful than the punishment that the parent will already be subject to by having to live with themselves, knowing they inadvertently caused the death of their own child.

I should have added, none of these punishments are going to be any more powerful than the punishment that the parent will already be subject to by having to live with themselves, knowing they inadvertently caused the death of their own child.

...I think fdcg27's idea was to have the punishment setup so because of the scare it does not happen at all.

QP, since I catch my nephew just in time before taking a flight from 5th floor and my kids just during some pretty good stairs tumbles, I know also what point you're trying to send.

I think user Shannow, had posted in the past some pretty good studies on industrial operator's brain's train of thoughts and what lead to accidents even with safety procedures in place. This is exactly what has happened to some of these parents.

Originally Posted by Wheel
I've got 2 sons in their 20's now. Of all the things my wife and I did to care for them growing up, it always was an active thought. Nothing was, just going through the motions. How can you raise kids on autopilot ? What kind of kids do you want to have ? The fact that folks do that and drive without being actively engaged should scare those of us that are. I don't see an excuse for this.

I have 4 children but my sentiments are the same as Wheel. They are living beings that you created and responsible for protecting. If your kids aren't on your mind, you shouldn't have them to begin with or anymore...simple enough.

This strikes me as psychobabble nonsense.
Parents are responsible for the children in their care. The is no valid excuse nor explanation for killing an infant by leaving it in a car.

Psychology may be correct, but I agree with you 100%… When you go about daily tasks especially important ones, you should be paying attention.. Just because you can do something on autopilot doesn't mean you should.

Part of the issue is contained in your own post, you said "leaving "it" in a car". It's no wonder people leave their babies in the car if they think of them as in it, rather than at them, or he or she - a person.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Originally Posted by Wheel

I have 4 children but my sentiments are the same as Wheel. They are living beings that you created and responsible for protecting. If your kids aren't on your mind, you shouldn't have them to begin with or anymore...simple enough.

I respectfully have one more thing to add:
They are our future and partly our legacy. That's why they are # 1.

How so?

Is this even a top 10 cause of death?

Top 100?

Nope.

Not saying it's not sad. What I'm saying is it seems we need to fix a whole host of things before we get to this on our list.

I think medical accidents kill far more than forgotten babies. Maybe we need to put alarms on medical staff to make sure they don't kill 10s of thousands of us with mistakes before we go after the < 100/year who are killed by being forgotten in a car?

Originally Posted by philipp10
Originally Posted by javacontour
How did we make it to 7 billion plus people without such alarms?

stupid comment of the week......

Ever have a kid wander off. they can do it in less than 2 seconds. If something bad happens you want to prosecute that parent? How about a kid hurt during a car wreck. Prosecute there to? should we prosecute the parents that do not vaccinate, when their kid dies or gives their preventable disease to another kid and that kid dies.

No one is perfect. Should that be a crime?

Feel sad for some of you.

Rod

Originally Posted by doitmyself
After a bit more probing, this is actually an interesting phenomenon. As one poster eluded, it just doesn't apply to babies left in cars:

Of course, some of the forgetfulness that doesn't involve leaving a baby in the car or a gun on the back of the toilet can be a bit funny. When driving taxi, I saw a few "exterior cup holders" for coffee. One of the best might have been seeing a lady going down the 70 km/h zone in the opposite direction to me with a rather large purse perched on the roof above her driver's seat.

When someone causes the death of another through their negligence, felony charges are appropriate and do already apply in every state.
Kill someone by getting into an accident while impaired or while driving way too fast, by selling or giving them a lethal dose of some drug or by neglecting to attend to someone in one's care and those same felony charges apply.
A negligent parent is not exempt from this, nor should they be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back