5w-40 for Turbo Summer oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by nicholas
I was thinking the 5w-40 would hold up better for the long highway drives we have planned this summer. 16+ hours of straight driving in summer weather.
Perhaps provide better protection for the turbo bearing.

Which is EASIEST road condition your car will ever see. You can run anything in those conditions, your engine will be fine.
Do not go too thick in an engine that is not recommended for it. Thick oil generates more heat too. Get Castrol Edge 0W30 ACEA A3/B4, or Castrol 5W30 ACEA A3/B4. Mobil1 ESP 5W30, Pennzoil 0W30 LX etc. basically any 0/5W30 oil that has these specifications: ACEA A3/B3 B4, and is approved for MB 229.5 OR ACEA C3 and it is approved to MB 229.51 or MB 229.52 or VW 504.00/507.00. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W30 is super easy to find here in the US in Wal Mart.
All these "Euro" 0/5W30 are very thick W30 oils on verge to be W40 oils.
But again, driving 16hrs on hwy is best thing that can happen to an engine.

His car specs an optional Xw - 40 - and rumors are that that should be the go-to anyway with all of the Hyundai theta II engine family issues.

Originally Posted by BLND1
I was thinking the 5w-40 would hold up better for the long highway drives we have planned this summer. 16+ hours of straight driving in summer weather.

Which is EASIEST road condition your car will ever see. You can run anything in those conditions, your engine will be fine.
Do not go too thick in an engine that is not recommended for it. Thick oil generates more heat too. Get Castrol Edge 0W30 ACEA A3/B4, or Castrol 5W30 ACEA A3/B4. Mobil1 ESP 5W30, Pennzoil 0W30 LX etc. basically any 0/5W30 oil that has these specifications: ACEA A3/B3 B4, and is approved for MB 229.5 OR ACEA C3 and it is approved to MB 229.51 or MB 229.52 or VW 504.00/507.00. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W30 is super easy to find here in the US in Wal Mart.
All these "Euro" 0/5W30 are very thick W30 oils on verge to be W40 oils.

His car specs an optional Xw - 40 - and rumors are that that should be the go-to anyway with all of the Hyundai theta II engine family issues.

And many W40 have same HTHS with some W30 "Euro" oils. IMO< best oil for any turbo engine would be Castrol Edge 0W30 (I just got case while it was on sale on Amazon). HTHS of 3,58 (For example Motul X-Clean 5W40 has HTHS of 3.64, or Mobil1 0W40 FS has HTHS of 3.6). It is not grade, it is HTHS that matters, and all ACEA A3 or C3 oils will have HTHS above 3.5.

I concur. I make the trip from Houston to Atlanta three times a year. About 10.5-11 hour drive.

Since I picked up a 2018 GTI in February of last year I've stopped flying and have made four road trips so far. It's amazing how much the motor opens up on a long trip. Motor just breathes and revs so much better after the drive. I can feel the difference it makes for a few weeks after arriving back home. I can only assume the hours on end at full temp do something to rid the motor of a bit of the carbon these DI motors produce. Who knows but the butt dyno can clearly feel the difference.

Last edited:
Not sure what the purpose of using a 40 weight would be. Heavy commercial trucks are factory filled and using regularly 10w30 year round. Yes, even in Arizona in mid summer while moving 80,000 lb of truck and cargo 11 hrs a day.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Not sure what the purpose of using a 40 weight would be. Heavy commercial trucks are factory filled and using regularly 10w30 year round. Yes, even in Arizona in mid summer while moving 80,000 lb of truck and cargo 11 hrs a day.

Yeah, we forgot Santa Fe has same engine as truck.

Sounds like a good plan! That was part of my reasoning as well for my turbo ride.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker

Those trucks have 15-and 20 oil quart systems.......a little easier on that 10w-30.

Just my thought.

We have a 4,000lb suv loaded up with people and luggage, being pulled by a 2.0 Turbo 4 cylinder........

Thanks everyone - - -
Being in Canada we have a crummy oil supply to pick from....We used to have the euro castrol 0w-30 at my local walmart.....not anymore. All the euro A3 oils are 50-60+ for 5 quarts.
Just for ease and cost I think I will go with castrol 5w-40 and have costco do it......$50 all in and I don't get filthy.

We also know the garage supervisor there - - - their service and job quality is top notch. Everything is double checked by a supervisor before and after the oil change. Very meticulous.

This will be the first oil change I have EVER paid someone to do, but for $50, syn oil/filter and install - - - It is tough to beat. Here in Canuk land.

Thanks everyone - - -
Being in Canada we have a crummy oil supply to pick from....We used to have the euro castrol 0w-30 at my local walmart.....not anymore.

Canadian Tire still stocks Castrol 0w30, and they have a lot of other Euro oils too like Pennzoil Euro 5w40, 5w30 and 0w30, Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, 0w30 and 5w40, and their own Motomaster Formula 1 Euro 0w40, 0w30 and 5w30. I don't think we have a crummy supply of oil at all, it's just that Walmart doesn't have a good selection like they used to. Probably because Canadian Tire has much better pricing on their sales, so not many do it yourselfers buy their oil from Walmart up here anymore.

Our local CT in ottawa does not have many of those...
.the ones they do have are way to expensive.

They will be on sale, they tend to rotate the sales, typically between Mobil and Castrol, so one week M1 0w-40 will be cheap, the next Castrol 0w-40 for example.

If they don't carry it in stock you can order it online from them. As as Overkill stated, they rotate the sales so just keep an eye out for the one you want to come up.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

The "turbo bearing" (of which there are two) are exactly the same as the main and connecting rod bearings in the engine. If you're not worried about one, no point in worrying about the other.

I tend to agree for your application factory spec oil will be more than adequate.

Im pretty sure all decent modern turbos are ball bearing.

Originally Posted by Srt20
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

The "turbo bearing" (of which there are two) are exactly the same as the main and connecting rod bearings in the engine. If you're not worried about one, no point in worrying about the other.

I tend to agree for your application factory spec oil will be more than adequate.

Im pretty sure all decent modern turbos are ball bearing.

About 98% are not. Those that are, are very specific applications.

Being in Canada we have a crummy oil supply to pick from....We used to have the euro castrol 0w-30 at my local walmart.....not anymore. All the euro A3 oils are 50-60+ for 5 quarts.
Just for ease and cost I think I will go with castrol 5w-40 and have costco do it......$50 all in and I don't get filthy.

As mentioned, at least Canadian Tire (and Partsource and NAPA) have some rotating sales. If you don't like that route, Bluewave Energy or Imperial Oil can help you out.

The mitsubishi turbo in our santa fe I believe is a journal bearing.

To get a ball bearing turbo you need to spend some dough....porche or audi money........€

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back