Get mechanic to check out used car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by sloinker
I've sold a couple vehicles that the folks purchasing wanted a mechanic to check them over. One couldn't get anything that day and bought the vehicle anyway. The other one couldn't get one that day but could the next. I sold this car later the same day and angered the dude that made the mechanics appointment for the following day. I told him that cash talks and BS walks.

Unless they put down a deposit, you had no obligation to delay your sale.

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
I never had a problem selling a car, so I don't stress over it, there's always a buyer. As far as me buying a used car, I check them myself.

I agree with this. I keep reading this advice to have a mechanic check out your potential purchase and it just doesn't seem realistic. Maybe it would work with higher-dollar used cars that don't have as much of a market. But I find the cars I am looking at are there one day and gone tomorrow.

How much are we talking about? The $800 or $1500 beater with a for sale sign in the parking lot? A basic test drive should be all you need to make sure the engine doesn't knock, miss, overheat or has low oil pressure, and the transmission works like it should. Any other problems like leaks, loose suspension, vibrations etc., comes with such a low price. Spend for a PPi and you will get a list of repairs costing $5,000.

I have never bought a new vehicle and probably never will. I ask the seller they've had an inspection done recently. If they haven't, I ask them if I can have it done at a garage of their choosing. If they say no, that's a giant red flag... but I always ask why not, just in case they have a plausible answer. If they say no and give a BS reason, they don't want to sell the car. I am a good mechanic but I am not professionally trained and I don't have a portable lift. Also, it's unreasonable to take the seller's car for more than a few hours, just for an inspection.
I also agree with atikovi's statement above, some vehicles just don't warrant an inspection. This takes the phrase "as is" to another level.

Generally I just test drive car, ask for maintenance records, ask about any known issues crawl under car to look at bottom for signs of misuse, Check all fluids - oil, tranny, antifreeze, powersteering and if the car is priced right I can decide if it's a good buy or not. Normally you can tell if transmission is slipping or shifting hard and if engine misfires, test 4wd if equipped. Still can be a good deal if you get it cheap enough to make repairs or even save enough to replace tranny or engine. No mechanic needed but not everyone is good with this.

When I was selling my Volvo, I had an interested buyer, and we agreed on a price pending an inspection - to be done by my service place. The potential buyer came back with a list of the cost to repair all the things I had told them were wrong and some "good idea" maintenance (for example should replace the differential fluid). That list reduced the "agreed price" considerably. Did I agree to the "new price"? Nope.

The asked price considered that there were a few things that needed doing - which had all been disclosed. They lost out on a good car.

The point being - be reasonable. You're looking for expensive hidden problems, not ones that have been disclosed.

When I bought my BMW I wasn't concerned about mechanical problems. It was under warranty and I had the few problems fixed under warranty. But what I should have done was have a body shop inspection. There was unreported body damage that had not been properly repaired. I had it repaired right but my final cost was higher than I expected (though still reasonable). A body man immediately found that a panel had been repainted - which I couldn't see until he pointed out a few tiny dust flecks that shouldn't have been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back