Truecar.com is a great way to get spam phone calls, texts and emails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just signed up for this as I was curious if they could beat the dealer's own website specials.

Spoiler, they can't.

But my burner smart phone just won't shut up.

Their interface is such that they say, ok, give us your zip code and name, then we'll show you the inventory and pricing.

But as soon as you enter a valid phone number.

Oh and we need your email and mailing addresses.

They are, obviously, a marketing co-op that's probably paid per-inquiry.

If you know some lonely geezer that needs someone to talk to on the phone, sign 'em up!

I use a previous telemarketer's phone number
27.gif

The OP is absolutely correct. I highly recommend Avoiding TrueCar.com At All Cost.

Last August, I signed-up and within 1 day, my phone was bombarded with 10-20 marketing/junk calls per day. Prior to that, I would get maybe 1 a week.

In addition, the pricing data provided by that service was nowhere near accurate -not even close!

Avoid Truecar.com. Do not sign-up or register with a real phone number or email.

Bummer , I used my google voice number during car buying(dealers) and selling (CL). Nice filter even has text messaging.

Last edited:
So funny - I did the same yesterday, and have received at least 3 calls from each of the 3 Mitsubishi dealerships in the region.

I feel bad, because I am definitely not in the market for a new car, but these guys get so little traffic in the store that each of the sales teams is treating this as a live lead on a new car sale!

Funny thing is, all I wanted was a quick-and-dirty average sale price, but they refuse to give me one without asking a million questions..

Originally Posted by Eddie
GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER?

Yeah, my feelings too... There is absolutely, positively, 100% NOTHING I trust about Google. Getting a phone number from them? LOL... Might as well sell your soul to the devil.

As for SPAM calls....

I feel we are free to express ourselves by forwarding unanswered SPAM calls to our Senators or Congressperson. Very easy to do on all cell phones. The SPAM'ers number will show-up as the dialing number. https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact https://www.congress.gov/members?q=%7B%22congress%22%3A116%7D

Originally Posted by RayCJ
GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER?
Yeah, my feelings too... There is absolutely, positively, 100% NOTHING I trust about Google. Getting a phone number from them? LOL... Might as well sell your soul to the devil.
What is the difference between using a Google voice number (https://voice.google.com) or a burner phone? You are going to toss both of them after the transaction. I get a new one every time I put something on Craig's list and toss it afterwards. No big deal
21.gif

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by RayCJ
GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER?
What is the difference between using a Google voice number (https://voice.google.com) or a burner phone? You are going to toss both of them after the transaction. I get a new one every time I put something on Craig's list and toss it afterwards. No big deal
21.gif

I just don't trust Google any further than I can throw my car. On an engineering consulting basis with a related company, I had a few months of interaction with Google. Any software you allow them to load onto your phone or computer is sucking your personal information straight into their databases. They will reap and harvest money from your information. They will lie about what they are doing. They will deny any wrong-doing etc... I know there is no way to stop what they do -but I refuse to willingly give in to it. I was under NDA with them. It has long since expired but, I never discuss my business dealings in detail. Take my word for it though, trust them no further than you can throw an elephant.

Ray

Can't believe the privacy freaks on this forum. I am wondering what character traits go hand in hand with changing one's own oil? Oh I know control....control.

This topic is getting as repetitive as "Dealer thread bash of the week".

Last edited:
GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER?

You can request from a google another number that allows you to talk, text and get voicemail(with dictation!!! to text/email). You can setup to ring on ANY type of phone including landline, smartphone, flip phone...... All at once even. Also a method of just using computer to answer and make calls with valid phone number.

Incredible way to buy/sell cars especially on Craigslist but always pesky dealers. My mother in law has no long distance on land line so I picked a local number to her and myself to avoid toll charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back