Mobil1 EP 0W20 Blend, 5k mi, 17 Honda Pilot@30k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second sample from our 2017 Pilot. This was a blend of 3.5 qt M1 EP 0W-20 and 2.0 qt M1 0W-40 run for 5,000 miles. Filter was Fram XG7317 run for 10,000 miles. Again not sure what to think about the copper. This car doesn't see the miles it used to. My wife has been traveling alot for work, so it doesn't really get short tripped, but it will sit for 4-5 days at a time when she is out of town. When she's here her commute is about 10 miles, mostly highway.

Analysis at 20,000

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 109
Even with the blend-in of a 40-weight, you are still comfortably in a 20-weight range. Fair amount of fuel dilution in there.

Wow . I'd get a LL ACEA 5w30 in there like a VW 505 01.. I don't see a bump in Phos/Zn from the 0w40. which to me makes this report
more than a bit suspicious given your mixture. You added two quarts not one It should show.

I basically just re-read Dave's "What is normal" article on UOA's, fair warning for how I'm looking at this.

Copper is definitely within the standard deviation, and because that is the highest above average wear metal, I'd say your engine is wearing wondefully, perfectly normal for that engine family. I'd just follow the OLM if it is equipped.

That is of course assuming Blackstone has a large body of samples for those universal averages.

Your wear metals are very much in line with what I'm seeing with my 16 Pilot

[Linked Image]

I don't see a single thing wrong with this analysis. Copper is there alright, but it seems we see this more and more nowadays. Where does it come from? Can't say but so far we haven't had any failures from it that I know of. Instead of blending, you could try a thin 5w30 instead. Frankenbrews don't seem to hurt anything but with them you'll never get a concrete idea of what's going on unless you use the same blend each time.

I was expecting something different also with the increase of the 0w-40 to the mix. I'll just continue to slowly increase the ratio until I see a response. But, I probably won't do another analysis for some time. And true, I probably would just start with a 5W-30, but my stash is vast and loaded with 0W-20 EP and now 10W-30 EP from AZ and 5W-20 AP from AAP clearances. But maybe I'll go straight up for my next analysis run.

Pilots in warm climates (TX & LA) having fuel dilution issues? Thought that was only with the 1.5T Hondas nowadays.
I might just add Schaeffer EP 132 ( https://www.amazon.com/Schaeffer-Manufacturing-0132023S-Moly-Treatment/dp/B00JF2LGF2 )
half-way thru the oil change interval for a fuel diluter like this. It has a 200 cSt kv100, so it nudges it up a grade to counter the fuel in there. And run OIlSwine's 10w30 straight in the summer. No 0w40 needed.

What does the OLM say is left one the oil when you dump it at 5K?

UD

Originally Posted by OilSwine
I was expecting something different also with the increase of the 0w-40 to the mix. I'll just continue to slowly increase the ratio until I see a response. But, I probably won't do another analysis for some time. And true, I probably would just start with a 5W-30, but my stash is vast and loaded with 0W-20 EP and now 10W-30 EP from AZ and 5W-20 AP from AAP clearances. But maybe I'll go straight up for my next analysis run.

You were expecting wear metals to be different because of the added 0W-40? Why? I don't think I've ever seen a significant difference in wear associated with simply increasing the viscosity. There maybe other reasons to choose one over the other but I'm left thinking in most engines 0W-20 is as good at preventing wear as 0W-40. Perhaps in a high performance engine it makes a difference but not in the Honda 3.5.

Last edited:
I have a feeling if you would have stuck with a 0W-20 throughout, your viscosity would have looked similar. Good looking UOA. Nothing here would concern me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back