Grease for Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CT8
What grease does the owners manual spec?

To be honest I am not sure. He doesn't have a owners manual in the truck. I'll have to google it.

From owners manual for 09 Tundra, pg 614, propeller shaft lubrication:

Spider: Lithium based chassis grease, NLGI No. 2

Slide yoke: Molybdenum disulfide lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No.2 or lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No.2

Originally Posted by drtyler
From owners manual for 09 Tundra, pg 614, propeller shaft lubrication:

Spider: Lithium based chassis grease, NLGI No. 2

Slide yoke: Molybdenum disulfide lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No.2 or lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No.2

Thanks!

Last edited:
There's quite a rabbit hole with Toyota grease recommendations. To do it by the book, you need 2 different greases. Most people just go with a #2 they like.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
There's quite a rabbit hole with Toyota grease recommendations. To do it by the book, you need 2 different greases. Most people just go with a #2 they like.

That is my recollection too. And many threads on it (not on BITOG). I elected to go with a #2 for all. I think it's a Mobil grease, I can tell from the red goo that likes to leak from the grease gun (but to be honest I am still using the same tube five years later).

Originally Posted by diyjake
I wonder how a quick lube shop would grease it. I am sure they use a generic grease for everything.

Ha! Most don't even have a grease gun! Last time I saw jiffy lube use a grease gun the kid was trying to push grease into a brake bleeder screw!

All my cars get Valvoline moly fortified grease in every thing. Yes even U-Joints! I seem to get well over 100k out of the cheap precision U-Joints wit this grease.

I also use Valvoline synthetic w/moly #2 on everything metal-metal. The word suspension was used though, on metal to rubber I use Raybestos silicone brake grease. I mean rubber bushings, having a rubber boot on a ball joint or tie rod end does not count, lol.

i use this for the moly slide yoke (5% moly):

Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease, NLGI #2

[Linked Image]

I use this for the spider:

Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease, NLGI #2

[Linked Image]

I use the Mobil-1 Synthetic grease on my Tacoma U-joints. I seem to remember Spicer recommending lithium based grease, and the Mobil-1 is supposedly compatible with it.

Here's a link to a Spicer PDF.

http://www.dana.com/~/media/danacom/files/media-asset/commercial-vehicle/cv-literature/j32952dssp.pdf

Last edited:
Was hoping to get away with just using 1 grease gun but might have to pull the trigger and get another one.

The excerpt from the manual clearly lets you use one type of grease for both applications (non-moly, NLGI #2 lithium based).

Toyota at one time specified the moly grease only for the slide yoke, and non-moly for the U-joints but they appeared to have revised their position.

The main take-away is don't use moly grease for the U-joints, which coincides with the u-joint manufacturer (Spicer) recommendation.

I bought some Dana Spicer grease for my 15 4Runner and 18 Tundra. It's a calcium sulfonate (compatible w/ lithium comp). They advertise it's good for slip yokes and universal joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back