Motul 300v 5w40 vs Redline 40WT racing in BMW racecar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this to racing oils but so far no response posting here to see if I can reach a bigger audience for thoughts.

I have two BMW racecars e36 M3 and e46 330i. The easy button is Redline 40wt racing oil and it is what I have always used. I am tempted to switch because FCP EURO sells Motul 300v 5w40 and will allow you to return used oil and will send you new oil so I could lower my operating expenses for the frequent fluid changes by 1k+ at a minimum.

Here are the data sheets
Motul
https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.n...0Power_205W-40_20_28GB_29.pdf?1492017370

Redline
https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/40WT_RACE_PROD_INFO.pdf

I'd opt for the easy button with w/out a couple of UOA's I'd imagine you're just flipping a coin with regards to performance. On a side note, I thought RL always recommended their 30W for BMW racers?

Shipping costs of the used Motul back to FCP Euro is high, isn't it? Guess the math works out though.
I've seen used oil analysis (UOA) on both Redline and Motul 300V, and I don't think there is any evidence one is better than the other.
If you want to save money, a great high temperature racing oil for your BMWs would be Mobil1 15w50, available for cheap at Walmart (order online for store pickup or shipped, or it is sometimes on the shelf).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-15W-50-5-qt/20713647 ---- The value $$-savings option. $23 per 5 quarts ($4.60 per quart)
700+ hp Corvettes use it all the time racing, and have been for years. Very suitable for BMWs too, as HTHS is 4.5, a 25% extra heat-margin over the LL-01 BMW level, and more than what the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship (IWSC) BMW Team RLL uses when they race. See time point 1:39 in the video below:
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/performance/motorsports/performance-matters-for-bmw-team-rll.html
You could use the Walmart Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 like the BMW Team RLL does, for cheap off the shelf, since expense is one of the subjects here, yet the Mobil1 15w50 would offer slightly more heat margin for you. ...

Cameron Evans (formerly with Redline) has always suggested 40Wt racing for these 5X flavor motors. You can probably use either but the rule of thumb is 10psi/thousand revs and 40wt hot gives you that PSI and 30wt is a little bit lower at the top end. So maybe we could get away with it but we don't see many people doing it.

My buddy runs the Mobil 1 and has for years. He gets a lot of hydraulic lifter tick on hot days and everyone says the thicker oil is the issue but his motors last as long as everyone else so I guess it doesn't matter. He changes his oil a bit more often vs Redline and when we compare Used oil and costs it works out to about the same cost (slightly cheaper) vs Redline with the OCI accounted for.

Thank you for the responses.

Originally Posted by junkyard_sal
Cameron Evans (formerly with Redline) has always suggested 40Wt racing for these 5X flavor motors. You can probably use either but the rule of thumb is 10psi/thousand revs and 40wt hot gives you that PSI and 30wt is a little bit lower at the top end. So maybe we could get away with it but we don't see many people doing it.

My buddy runs the Mobil 1 and has for years. He gets a lot of hydraulic lifter tick on hot days and everyone says the thicker oil is the issue but his motors last as long as everyone else so I guess it doesn't matter. He changes his oil a bit more often vs Redline and when we compare Used oil and costs it works out to about the same cost (slightly cheaper) vs Redline with the OCI accounted for.

Thank you for the responses.

Gotcha. Enjoy the rides. I'm sure that E36 is getting a little long in the tooth. Looking for a replacement?

She is old but still pretty, I have a Spec e46 now also.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Plus this old girl

redline racing oil is just that, best for racing + redline is prolly one of the very best, if you ever checked bearings etc you would see the real answer. that said any oil is likely cheaper than engine work. real synthetic like redlines 40W is a straight weight oil but meets the 15-40 spec because of the ester + maybe PAO + NO viscosity improvers, in real synthetic base oils used, pay me now or pay me more later is the question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back