When Did 5W/30 Become Mainstream in The US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wo we have gone from 10W-40, to 10W-30, to 5W-30, to 5W-20, to 0W-20. Next it will be 0W-16. Have engines changed all that much? Has oil changed all that much? Or is it still pretty much the same; just a different mindset based upon the oil industry propaganda? Are we now using lighter weight oil; just because they are telling us to use lighter weight oil?

Oil and engines are better than ever. Engines are lasting longer than ever. The results indicate the xxW-20 oils are working just fine. Personally, I wouldn't use an xxW-20 oil in something that didn't spec it in the first place.

I have/had (I think it's in storage) a Quaker State Lubricants guide circa 1987-1995. I came out in 95' and covered the preceding eight years. I have to look at the manufacturers but there are numerous caveats to using 5W-30 as "not recommended for extended highway driving" as these were still Group I based products, though I assume they were just started to move into the Groups II, II+, and III era. So yes, we've come a long way. If I find it I'll post screens at some point...

My dad was a commercial aircraft mechanic for 40 years and did all his own vehicle maintenance too. Back in his heyday (50s-60s) it was straight 30 weight in everything. Then in the 70s-80s the multi-vis oils were all the rage, usually 10w30, 10w40 and 20w50. In the later 80s it was 5w30 coming into fashion, so I'd guess around that time or maybe the early 90s was when 5w30 became mainstream. Nowadays it's all about 5w20 or 0w20, and even 0w16 for domestic use, which is all about fuel economy while still providing "adequate" protection LOL. I'm glad to see some euro specs calling for 5w40 or 0w40. I believe the newer Corvettes recommend 0w50 for track use but don't quote me on that.

Nickdfresh. You sparked my memory. I, too, remember in the viscosity charts a note about not using 5w-30 for extended highway use. Amazing!

Originally Posted by DGXR
I believe the newer Corvettes recommend 0w50 for track use but don't quote me on that.

They specifically mention Mobil 1 15w50 for track use actually (although since 2019 they've been factory filled with Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40 in order to avoid having to swap to the 15w50, unless you have a ZR1, then they still call for 15w50 at the track)

Originally Posted by DGXR
I'm glad to see some euro specs calling for 5w40 or 0w40. I believe the newer Corvettes recommend 0w50 for track use but don't quote me on that.

Corvette has a high performance engine. Most cars don't. I know that my Ford, is not a Corvette. So I can use a lower viscosity, and lower grade spec. Truth is, if I spent more, my engine does not benefit.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Wo we have gone from 10W-40, to 10W-30, to 5W-30, to 5W-20, to 0W-20. ...
10W-30 preceded 10W-40 (as well as succeeded it). Before that, only straight weights.

I have the technical service manual for 1976 AMC vehicles (Gremlin, Hornet, Matador), and the only grade it has a 'warning' about is 5W-20.

It has 2 separate charts for straight-weight and multi-visc. oils, and recommends 5W-30 for colder temps, but has no warning about using it in high-speed situations.

Weird that a 1987 guide, years later, would warn against using 5W-30 for high-speed driving, you'd think oils would be more stable by then.

I recall being shocked that a new '87 Olds 88 ( 3.8) that my Dad bought not only required 5w30 but had a roller cam.

The owners manual for my '82 Dodge truck lists 5wXX as suitable only under 60 degrees F.

I had a 81 Subaru GL 2 door hatch FWD with an EA81 (1.8L) motor for the longest time. The owner's manual, I believe stated that 5W-30 was not recommended for sustained high speed driving. I need to look up the owners manual of the 87 Brat (same motor) whether it says the same; most likely does. Will update.

Subaru Brat was made for guys, to score with chicks, who drove Renault LeCar. Asti Spumante and a bottle of Quaaludes. Excuse me. I have to rewind my 8 Track now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back