Sinopec Oil Company now manufacturing OEM Mercedes Benz Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean oil changes at the dealerships will start to be more reasonable?

benz.jpg

343benz.jpg

benz232.jpg

229.5.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 10.05.41 AM.png

Last edited:
Nope. Labor and overhead are the biggest cost contributors.

Maybe the price will not go up as high as it otherwise would when using M1 or whomever was their supplier.

Last edited:
Maybe they are following their own catch phrase,"The Best or Nothing". Dumping that swill M1 for the magic elixir from Sinopec?

Originally Posted by sloinker
Maybe they are following their own catch phrase,"The Best or Nothing". Dumping that swill M1 for the magic elixir from Sinopec?

There is no such thing as a magic elixir.

Traditionally the "swill" has been reserved for the higher-end AMG offerings:
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...ust-mobil-1/mercedes-amg-recommended-oil

Whilst the paupers in their less stately offerings will get whatever Mercedes has been able to negotiate the lowest price per bottle on.

I seem to remember from somewhere that Sinopec has a agreement with Shell to make their USA market products.

Originally Posted by dave1251
There is no such thing as a magic elixir.

Except for the original green GC, made by elves
crackmeup2.gif

Where did your picture come from?

The back label states Marketed by Mercedes-Benz India.

A commodity product like this originating in Singapore makes sense if used in Asian markets. No need to import products from the USA or Europe.

I last bought this last winter from an indy shop for 8.50 per qt. It didn't have any indication of where it was from. I always thought it was made by Exxon Mobil.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Traditionally the "swill" has been reserved for the higher-end AMG offerings:
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...ust-mobil-1/mercedes-amg-recommended-oil

Whilst the paupers in their less stately offerings will get whatever Mercedes has been able to negotiate the lowest price per bottle on.

My old Mercedes engined 3.2L V6 actually had a tag in the engine bay stating the factory fill and recommended oil was M1 0W40. The car had a lifter tick that went away with Red Line. I was j/k about the M1 being swill.

My old Mercedes engined 3.2L V6 actually had a tag in the engine bay stating the factory fill and recommended oil was M1 0W40. The car had a lifter tick that went away with Red Line. I was j/k about the M1 being swill.

Yeah, we know you've been spreading that a while now.

Originally Posted by drtyler

A commodity product like this originating in Singapore makes sense if used in Asian markets. No need to import products from the USA or Europe.

Exactly. Just because MB uses Sinopec in Asia doesn't mean they'll use them in the US.

This article from 2018 just mentions Indonesia and India markets:
https://thewest.com.au/lifestyle/motoring/big-contracts-oil-the-wheels-of-sinopec-ng-b88963048z

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by drtyler

Exactly. Just because MB uses Sinopec in Asia doesn't mean they'll use them in the US.

This article from 2018 just mentions Indonesia and India markets:
https://thewest.com.au/lifestyle/motoring/big-contracts-oil-the-wheels-of-sinopec-ng-b88963048z

I think this is likely the case. Most automakers have regional agreements with oils.

I asked. Base oils from Mobil not Shell, either way should be more affordable

Screen Shot 2019-05-23.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Here, it could easily be Mobil Super 3000 5w-40 for the full SAPS offerings.

In my part of Australia, the MB oil is supplied by Fuchs. I just had my C63 serviced - although I skipped on the Fuchs 5w/40 oil and supplied my own Castrol Edge 0W/40 to the MB dealer who had no problem using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back