Made in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historically I have been very poor and buying USA tires. I do my research and, typically not having a ton of extra funds, try to get the best tire for the least money. And I've had some very nice tires with this method. Next time around, though, I would like to try to go with some USA made rubbers. Broadly speaking, what companies offer the most USA made product lines? I believe Cooper has moved off shore? How about Goodyear or Michelin? One tire I'd like to look at next time is the BFG All Terrain T/A but unsure of COO.

I'd suggest leveraging the information on tirerack.com

Under specs for a certain tire they show the country of origin down to specific tire size/rating etc. They can differ.

A good example is OEM tire of my wife's Tiguan. Her's is made in USA however two close sizes that apparently fit are made in Mexico and France. Click specs
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...oModel=Tiguan%204MOTION&autoModClar=

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
2011 F150 4x4 5.0L
1996 Mustang GT 5spd/ragtop and a computer and poor?

No computer, probably just a brand new iPhone.
smile.gif
Just messing with you guys.

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question, but I would argue that COO doesn't matter as much in regards to getting a "good" tire, as much as it being a good tire to begin with. If you just want the best tire you can find that's made in the USA, I can't argue with that.

One of those Chinese Wang Chung- Ching Chong - whatever brands... was supposed to build a plant in South Carolina but I guess it was a non-starter.

Originally Posted by CT8
2011 F150 4x4 5.0L
1996 Mustang GT 5spd/ragtop and a computer and poor?

Homeless people have $50 smartphones around here and could post away on BITOG using public wifi.

While I think it's great to buy American when you can, I'd probably be more concerned in getting the best tire with what you have to spend. In the same vein as the example of a Toyota Camry benefiting the U.S. economy more vs.the comparable Ford that was used a few years ago, it can be hard to know who's benefiting the U.S. the most given the global factors / supply chain involved. If the tire tariffs of 10 years ago really DID cost the U.S. consumer almost a million dollars for each of the 1200 jobs saved, then I'm not sure putting weight in "U.S. made" over everything else is always the best thing.

Originally Posted by 390pi
One of those Chinese Wang Chung- Ching Chong - whatever brands... was supposed to build a plant in South Carolina but I guess it was a non-starter.

That Giti factory in South Carolina is real and is in operation and is producing tires
smile.gif

BF Goodrich makes excellent tires for the price, they are owned by Michelin and most of theirs are produced in the Us or Japan. If you look at the detailed specs on Tirerack you can pull up each tires country of manufacture. My buddy was running the All Terrain T/A's on his older Ford Edge replaced them 50k miles later with a new set. I also have the BF Goodrich Gforce Comp2 A/S's on my G37x and have nothing but good things to say about them after 18k miles.

Most tire manufacturers are global. They make popular tire sizes for US produced cars in the US, Euro tires for Europe, etc. My advice: pick the best value for your application - stopping, handling, wet and snow performance, longevity etc. ; see if it is US made. If not, go to the 2nd best value, etc. until you find what you want. Some cars have very limited tire selections, others have a lot more options. You'll have to do a bit of research.

Ime, Tire Rack has the best available database for tire specs including COO. It breaks them down by size and shows coo of each one. If US made is your main priority, I'd search tires of interest on TR, hit the "Specs" tab, coo is the last entry.

I just replaced General Altimax TR43's that were made in Brazil as stated on the tire. The replacements are Hankook Kinergy PT's 737 made in USA. The Hankook website states the country of origin. The General site does not, or at least I couldn't find it. I had a couple sets of Bridgestone Blizzaks for a full size pickup that were made in Japan. I agree with the last post about finding the best tire value in your budget. It's a global economy.

Originally Posted by buck91
Historically I have been very poor and buying USA tires. I do my research and, typically not having a ton of extra funds, try to get the best tire for the least money. And I've had some very nice tires with this method. Next time around, though, I would like to try to go with some USA made rubbers. Broadly speaking, what companies offer the most USA made product lines? I believe Cooper has moved off shore? How about Goodyear or Michelin? One tire I'd like to look at next time is the BFG All Terrain T/A but unsure of COO.

Most of Cooper's Products that are sold in the USA are produced in the USA.

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas on my Tahoe are Made in USA
Bridgestone Blizzaks for my Tahoe and Malibu are Made in Japan

Would buy that brand just to have Wang Chung- Ching Chong on the sidewall. Make the letters white too.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

Would buy that brand just to have Wang Chung- Ching Chong on the sidewall. Make the letters white too.

Can anyone else hear the old Wang Chung songs now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back