Help with odd ticking sound please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am looking for help trying to figure out an odd ticking sound I have on my truck.

It only happens when the vehicle gets up to normal temp (190F) and only when accelerating, and then only in the top end of first and second gear. When I start the truck and its cold the tick cannot be heard when accelerating, only once it reaches full temp. This started about 4 days after an oil change(because of leg surgery I wasn't able to do it my self the oil used was Penzoil 5w30 HM)

It is a 2003 Sonoma with a 2200 Vortec, 152K, I purchased new with 13 miles on it, always had 5w30 oil used, No leaks or other losses of any fluids. Starts fine, idles fine, accelerates fine, does not overheat, oil pressure is the same as when it was new.

Belt and pulleys are fine.
I have gone over it with a stethoscope but can not pinpoint anything since its mainly a high RPM issue.
Have run 2 tanks of High Octane fuel(Shell Vpower).
I ran an Amsoil engine flush and changed the oil.

I am thinking of bumping the oil up to 5w40 to see if that helps.
Also, I am going to put new plugs and wires on it.

Any ideas?

90% of the time when this happens to me its the filter. But your issue sound like low oil viscosity.
You sure they put a 30 in and not a 20? I know there is no way to tell usually unless you brought the oil jug an you saw it go in.

Some engines just don;t like certain oils, but I don't recall the 2.2 being picky.

IIRC, those use fast bleed down roller lifters. but i would expect more noise at low rpm - regardless of load.

Maybe just drive it less aggressively, lower shift point for a week and see if it corrects itself. May just be a cleanup issue.

But - I would check to insure the filter is tight. Good luck. - Ken

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
90% of the time when this happens to me its the filter. But your issue sound like low oil viscosity.
You sure they put a 30 in and not a 20? I know there is no way to tell usually unless you brought the oil jug an you saw it go in.

Some engines just don;t like certain oils, but I don't recall the 2.2 being picky.

IIRC, those use fast bleed down roller lifters. but i would expect more noise at low rpm - regardless of load.

Maybe just drive it less aggressively, lower shift point for a week and see if it corrects itself. May just be a cleanup issue.

Can't be sure what they put in, but I have since changed it myself(and ran the Amsoil flush prior to the change).

Not a fan of flushes. But its seems you made it through it fine. If it runs fine and gets proper fuel mileage - I wouldnt change wires and plugs. My rules is never mess with an ignition if its doing fine. They are very temperamental. I would not put a 40 in there. GM like their 5w30. You have Amsoil XL in there now?

Last edited:
my first thought is an exhaust leak in the header. Either a crack, missing bolt, or something that as the header heats up and expands allows for a leak. The reaction torque on the engine in first and second gear is enough to torque the engine on its mounts meaning there is relative movement between the engine and the exhaust system which is hung from the frame. That relative movement when warm opens up the crack or leak point allowing the ticking sound.

If you accelerate hard, is the sound louder / last longer?

Originally Posted by DriveHard
If you accelerate hard, is the sound louder / last longer?

I would give a reluctant yes to that. I haven't been too aggressive with it since this started. Also, it is not so loud I can hear it over nearby cars or the radio on low volume.

What is the oil pressure showing. Maybe the oil pump is getting weak and not supplying enough pressure at higher rpm.

Same as it always has been since the day I got it. 60+ psi on cold start. 20+ psi hot idle, 40+ psi hot cruising. No delay in pressure response when rpms increase

I have the larger brother, the 4.2L and have been through a myriad of noises. A ticking when hot could possibly be a lash adjuster in the valvetrain.

I would definitely check the exhaust manifold bolts, make sure they are tight. Don't crank down on them, if they don't seem to turn, leave well enough alone.

What frequency is this tick? Cam speed, engine speed? A video would help greatly to hear the intensity and frequency.

Is this a constant tick or does it vary? The water pumps can sound like anything when they start to go...from a simple tick to a spun rod bearing.

Originally Posted by Wilvoeka
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Can't be sure what they put in, but I have since changed it myself(and ran the Amsoil flush prior to the change).

You changed the oil yourself since. But did you change the oil filter?
If not, buy a Fram EG or TG..... or regular / standard Wix.
Do not buy a Fram Ultra for that GM Sonoma. The Ultra are sensitive to many GMs and make matters even worse.

New symptom. No power when going up inclines or hard acceleration. Looking into the fuel system now i guess.

Does it misfire and sputter trying to go up hills, or does it run smoothly but dog slow?

Originally Posted by mk378
Does it misfire and sputter trying to go up hills, or does it run smoothly but dog slow?
I did get some jerkyness and sputtering after about 30 minutes of driving. Didnt notice any backfires. Just seemed like the speed increase and motor effort were disproportionate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back