Valvoline AFS 5w-30 5k miles in ‘09 5.3 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure it was this oil- container is long gone.
This engine had the AFM deleted very early on and has been trouble free so far, and is now retired from towing and just does local commuting and chores as my "beater".
Any thoughts about the viscosity dropping- 1% fuel dilution? There is a chance that I dumped in a quart of 5w-20 at some point towards the end of the OCI though I told Polaris none was added.... my memory issues! LOL.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached are the only two UOAs I've done, the first from around 9 years ago!
Any observations or comments?

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken those earlier 5.3's are notorious for fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by BLND1

Yea I'd never really followed fuel till recently after getting a few DI engine vehicles and outboard. Hence my switch from Blackstone to Horizon.

Like what 5.3L ? Didn't the DI start in 2014 (guess what vis ?)

I'm pretty sure that is not Valvoline AFS because it does not have any titanium. I don't think it's Valvoline Synpower ( the predecessor to AFS) because it doesn't have enough sodium.

Nope not this generation its port injected. It's not AFM which is causing engine failure it's shoddy workmanship and QA. 30 grades shear into 20 grades it's just the nature of the beast and if you still drive with the original engine this shows how UOA's are worthless for determining wear. As far as the most recent data it's boring and just continue to enjoy the truck it's the best thing you can do.

Originally Posted by 77GrandPrix
I'm pretty sure that is not Valvoline AFS because it does not have any titanium. I don't think it's Valvoline Synpower ( the predecessor to AFS) because it doesn't have enough sodium.

Certainly it might not be. It's been a year since it was last done for sure and many a empty/recycle bottle have been rotated out.

Usually I'd get AFS/SP, or PP, as those are what always seem to be on sale on oil change day LOL

At this change it put in RGT so it'll be interesting I guess...next year.

Last edited:
Does this truck have AFM?

Yes it did, but got deleted in the ECU. So it's been running on all 8 cylinders for 90k miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back