Do you label your oil filters when installing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. I put service into a logbook that I keep in the glovebox, but as a rule I do things on the 5's (and by extension, 10's). Tire rotation every 5k. Oil changes are either 5k or 10k depending upon the vehicle. If I get off that schedule (new car) I'll short change the next OCI just to get it back.

So simple even I can do it.

I write down the mileage and date on a spreadsheet. As far as 3/4 turn, I make a visual note of a point on the filter that I can easily see, say, the W in Wix, when the filter hits the mating surface. Then, I keep turning until the W is 3/4 of the way around.

No.
But I do make teeny-weeny labels for other items with a P-Touch.
I use the smallest typeface and two rows. This gives me a discrete label an inch long which can fit almost anywhere.

One goes on the air cleaner box with the suggested mileage for changing.
For the one for plugs I use an "@" before the mileage.
One for the cabin air filter goes near the access route,

I show this to people when I sell a car and everyone loves it.....at least they say they do.

Anyone who wants to criticize this practice is welcome to.

I even mark the radiator support with yellow characters "17mm-6.1 qt." for oil changes. I use red for trannie notes if any.

Only a reference mark if the label or printing on the filter don't give me a good spot to note 2/3 or 3/4 after the gasket contacts the engine. I also use the portal Hyundai has set up to log maintenance if the dealer didn't do it.

The rest of the fleet is so far out of warranty that even if I had all the details to prove every oil change, no one would care. For those vehicles I just go by the window sticker I put on so I know when the last change occurred.

I sometimes want to know when filter was changed without climbing under a vehicle. I keep records in a spreadsheet.

I think writing on the filter might be a good idea if multiple people/shops are involved in the maint of a vehicle.

Nope. I'm OCD about oil and filter enough that I can remember when I changed them and what the mileage was.

I also enter it in the thread on here within a day, so I can double-check with that if needed.

No, I put a sticker on the inside windshield or the driver door jamb, and keep an Excel worksheet for each vehicle. Besides, other than when I'm away from home, I do all of my own OC's so writing on the filter is an extra step I don't need.

If you don't get the free OC stickers from Advance, Napa, etc. if you contact your favorite brand or local oil distributor, you can get the stickers for free. I got freebies from Conoco Phillips and Quaker State in years passed.

If we changed the oil on a customers car we would mark the filter with a date and the oil drain plug position. On my own I don't mark anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by double vanos
Also put a small arrow on it so when it contacts the base I can use it to finish tightening the 3/4 round. I use Motorcraft filters so the writing stands out; the arrow is because the filter on a 3.5 EB is hidden pretty well.

I mark mine too with a marker, so I don't over tighten.

I do on my 7.3 PSD simply because I could write a small novel on that thing. For some reason, never really thought about doing it on my others.

On the Explorer, date and mileage always gets written on the filter when it is changed. Black sharpie works great on the white motorcraft filter.

I do the same on all other engines - at least write the date I changed it on them.

The 16 F150 I cannot do this - they switched to the cartridge style filter (which I like).

And I write all of it down in a spreadsheet too, but if I lose the spreadsheet or someone else is wondering, they can see when it was done.

On the Explorer, date and mileage always gets written on the filter when it is changed. Black sharpie works great on the white motorcraft filter.

I do the same on all other engines - at least write the date I changed it on them.

The 16 F150 I cannot do this - they switched to the cartridge style filter (which I like).

And I write all of it down in a spreadsheet too, but if I lose the spreadsheet or someone else is wondering, they can see when it was done.

I keep a spiral notebook too, with literally everything that needs noting on the car - wipers, rotations, trans swaps etc. Even adding floor mats or bed liners ! And of course mark the filter too. Was just wondering if I'm the only one doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back